“OMG!!!”

Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
antioch, ca
“OMG!!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I have to say this was one of the two worst nights I ever spent at a hotel. Our cell phones did not work in the hotel, so we had to go downstairs to use the phone. We had lunch at the sports bar in the hotel and the service was...well terrible. The waitress spent most of her time watching the Giants game. We were in room 390. Room 390 is across the hall from the vending/ice machine and the housekeeping room. The windows faced a busy street and you could hear everyone coming up and down the hall. It was the noisest room I had ever slept in. You could hear the loud noise from the traffic and people partying at different locations in the area. The bathroom had a pocket door and everyone below and above us had one also because you could hear noise all night. We had to leave the hotel to get some peace! We finally couldn't take the noise any longer, so we left our room at 10:00. When we returned to the hotel around 12:30 a.m. after being out when we really didn't want to be out, we had to stay up because of the noise from the screaming patrons at a nearby bar. The only thing that kept me from going ballistic was that the staff were exceptional, so I felt bad about complaining to them, so I waited to complain in this forum. I will never stay at that hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 390 or any rooms adjacent to that room or rooms that face the street !!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank dina o

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Great views and nice to be downtown. Lobby nicely done. Staff very professional. Marriott burgers are the best.

• Stayed August 2011
Norfolk, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We had the best time ever at this hotel! The room was spectacular with a view of the bay right from our bed. The staff was top notch. Valet parking was pretty affordable (considering what other cities will charge) and they were so helpful getting us directions to and fro.

The only eating we did there was at the coffee shop, so I cant' comment on the restaurant. But the coffee shop was good.

Which brings me to the only odd part of the hotel.... there was no coffee maker in the room. Most places have that as standard equipment, so I was a little surprised. But I paid for my daily coffee and went on my way ...

Room Tip: Make sure you join the Marriott Members club to get their "Elite" rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ski_n_Tee
California
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Typical consistantly good (not great) quality Marriott hotel. Excellent staff though. Always asking what they can do to help. The hotel manager is doing a great job of training.
The hotel is located in "downtown" Monterey, easy walking distance to shops, Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row. It appears to be an older hotel that was recently renovated.
Valet parking ($20/day) is the only hotel choice but there is a city parking structure 2 blocks away at 1/3 the cost, or look for on-street parking (problematic on weekends).
Breakfast buffett ($20/person) is expensive but convenient & good quality.
There's a fun sport bar on the first floor.
I would return when I'm in the area.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms in the north facing wing have a view of Monterey Bay.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank garaoucho
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Just returned from a stay at the Monterey Marriott. It was a beautiful property, recently renovated, and right in the middle of downtown. The staff, however, were the best. Very helpful and attentive. Before this stay, I had only seen service this good in the movies. The gentleman behind the desk with the Australian accent was espicially helpful. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Brake76
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Marriot is a great hotel in a very good location, but add $20 to your room rate for parking - which is only choice other than street - and is too much. I guess it's $20 because there were at least nine people standing there to open car door, help with luggage, open hotel door, and welcome us.

They have a great breakfast, but plan to go out for dinner - sports bar is only place in hotel for dinner.

Room was comfortable - typical Marriott. We had a good view of the bay.

• Stayed March 2012
Chattanooga
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Great location that's close to shops, restaurants, and the wharf. The service was friendly, and consistent. The food was great every single time beginning with the breakfast, and ending with the sports bar. The bartender (EJ) was outstanding. I'd like to pack him up and move him to my area!! It's a very easy walk to all the historic adobes. I am looking forward to going back!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business