“Quick lunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Pearl Street and Bonifacio St
Transit: Downtown Transit Plaza
Description: Santa Lucia Cafe is the only restaurant in the peninsula providing a German Cuisine with an Italian twist. Thin crusted pizzas baked in an oak wood fired brick oven are hard to find these days and Santa Lucia Cafe has definitely built its reputation for it over the past 15 years. It has the best German beer selection on tap and authentic German & Italian home cooking with anything from Wiener Schnitzel or Sauerbraten (sweet & sour beef roast) with red cabbage or Potato Pancakes to traditional Italian dishes like Veal Picatta, Spinach Ravioli or Mom's Lasagna giving its menu a broad selection for everybody's liking. Just a few blocks from the Monterey Marriott and Conference Center, Santa Lucia Cafe is the ideal venue for private parties, events, or a quiet dinner experience.
Reviewed November 22, 2014

Mt wife and I stopped here for a quick lunch not know what to expect. The service was quick and pleasant. The Ruben sandwich was excellent align with very good cold German potato salad. The split pea soup was as good as any I have ever had.

2  Thank ed2tahoe

Reviewed September 3, 2014

It was my birthday so my husband said I get to choose where we would eat,I have never had German food but my husband has,so I thought I would give it try....WOW it was amazing!! way better then I expected, the waiter was beyond amazing, he was so helpful and had a great sense of humor, We definitely be back again.

2  Thank cgalvani17
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stopped for lunch before going to the aquarium. I ate veal sausage with sour kraut. The others had a German pancake and a salad. All the food was good. We wanted one kind of salad with the dressing on the side and the cook refused so we took another kind of salad. What are customers in a restaurant for but to accommodate the cook.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

We stumbled upon this restaurant while looking for somewhere to eat dinner in Monterey during a one night stopover and were not fussy on the Cannery Row area. Although we were the only ones in the restaurants for the time we were there -- the food was so worth the find! My husband is of German descent so was quite happy with all the selection of German beers and German specialties...as was I. The teens were happy with the Italian selections and said their food was the best ever. Soup, schnitzel, spaechle, all were wonderful as were the deserts. The owner was great to chat with and although they do breakfast, lunch (as those are the most popular times in Monterey), highly would recommend instead going there for a nice dinner. Great find!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

After a morning walk in Monterey, during which we passed many great looking breakfast places, we wandered in to the Santa Lucia Cafe partly because it was close to our hotel and the menu looked interesting. The choice ruined what was otherwise a nice morning.

We asked to be seated outside, as did another family who came in at the same time. After 20 minutes, the other family had received a glass of milk and couple juices, but we had nothing. Coffee and water finally arrived around the 25 minute mark.

Breakfast (Huevos Rancheros for me, Eggs Bennie for the wife) arrived after 45 minutes. Food was average at best and portions were small.

I told my wife I was not waiting for the bill and went inside to pay. The problem was obvious; 1 teenage waitresses covering all the tables, 1 busboy who only cleared and set (no coffee or water from him) and 2 managers doing nothing other than trying to act busy.

I’ll not be going back....