“A Surprise German Dinner off the beaten path..”
Review of Santa Lucia Cafe - CLOSED

Santa Lucia Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: American, Deli, German, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Pearl Street and Bonifacio St
Transit: Downtown Transit Plaza
Description: Santa Lucia Cafe is the only restaurant in the peninsula providing a German Cuisine with an Italian twist. Thin crusted pizzas baked in an oak wood fired brick oven are hard to find these days and Santa Lucia Cafe has definitely built its reputation for it over the past 15 years. It has the best German beer selection on tap and authentic German & Italian home cooking with anything from Wiener Schnitzel or Sauerbraten (sweet & sour beef roast) with red cabbage or Potato Pancakes to traditional Italian dishes like Veal Picatta, Spinach Ravioli or Mom's Lasagna giving its menu a broad selection for everybody's liking. Just a few blocks from the Monterey Marriott and Conference Center, Santa Lucia Cafe is the ideal venue for private parties, events, or a quiet dinner experience.
Reviewed August 10, 2015

We decided to take a break from the crowded piers and found a Italian/German restaurant named after the Santa Lucia mountain range of the Monterey Peninsula. We had the Wiener schnitzel for dinner with a brats appetizer. The food was outstanding but equally enjoyable was when the owner, a German ex-pat, came out and joined us and started talking about Monterey. There is nothing better than hospitable locals having a conversation about the community they live in and love. An extremely enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed August 8, 2015

This cafe' had good reviews but I must say this was a disappointment. I think they had inexperienced cooks. We had 6 people ,3 orders of Eggs Benedict with ham and roast potatoes and hollandaise sauce. I requested crispy roast potatoes, they tasted like they were roasted last week and kept refrigerated.,not crispy, sent back to redo, came back almost the same. English muffins not toasted too well, No crunch. and the kicker was the Hollandaise was literally cold, not warm ,cold. My wifes order of just poached eggs with toast were overcooked. 2 other orders .We were leaving Monterey so we paid a high price for some not so good food..

Reviewed May 25, 2015

We came in off a long road trip, and asked for the bathroom before being seated. We *had* intended to use the bathroom and then order lunch. Owner tells us bathroom is occupied and he'll let us know when it's available -- he asks us to sit down and look at menus. After about 5 minutes, we realize that the keys to the bathroom (it's down the hall in an adjacent office building) are hanging on the wall. The owner has yet to come back to our table. I get up, get the keys, and use the bathroom. No one was in there, and I had immediate access. I suspect the owner was trying to see if we were going to buy food, or just use his bathroom and leave. My wife then went to the bathroom, and a waitress came over while she was gone...I asked her to come back once my wife returned. After my wife's return, we waited another 5 minutes or so and no one returned in an empty-ish restaurant on a weekend day. We decided to go elsewhere. As we were walking out, the owner noticed and came over. I politely said "we'll try it some other time" and he said "if you're in a hurry, there's a Jack - In - The - Box around the corner." We were glad we chose not to stay.

We never ate the food, so I can't comment on that, but I can say the hospitality was well below our expectations.

Reviewed April 23, 2015

For the food, it wasn't too bad, but our table had mixed opinions. One was completely satisfied (sandwich); my pesto pizza was pretty good. The other two weren't too impressed--considered it pretty average at best. The strange part, to me, was that we had to change our order a few times because they were out of a lot of the ingredients, so we couldn't get what we all wanted. That was weird... service was great.

Reviewed November 22, 2014

Mt wife and I stopped here for a quick lunch not know what to expect. The service was quick and pleasant. The Ruben sandwich was excellent align with very good cold German potato salad. The split pea soup was as good as any I have ever had.

2  Thank ed2tahoe