All reviews fire pit breakfast delivered wood floors abalone living room morro rock each morning cute place king suite road trip comfortable bed free breakfast few blocks ceiling fan hearst castle a great place to stay within easy walking distance
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I spent two days at The Beach Bungalows in Morro Bay. We picked it based on the pictures and reviews on TripAdvisor.com. Our stay surpassed the reviews we read online. The room felt more like a bedroom than a hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly, they made our stay so special with the small touches they added. We got in late the first night, they had our room all ready with a fire going. The windows to our suite were aglow, making our suite look very warm and inviting. It was our 20th Anniversary the 2nd night, and Joanie and Jim the owners made reservations to the nicest restaurant in town for us and arranged for free dessert for our anniversary. When we returned to our room they had champagne on ice and candles waiting. They even had ocean sounds playing soothingly in the room. The room also comes with two vouchers for free breakfast at your choice of 3 restuarants in town. We ate at Frankie and Lola's both mornings, which was great all in itself. The whole experience was fantastic. We will be back. 5 STARS!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank wbingha
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Despite the external appearance of a sixties motel the upgraded and modern rooms were a pleasant surprise. Bathroom was very tight and reminded me of a Euopean hotel conversion. Fireplace and flat screen tv, comfortable bed and location provided an enjoyable experience. Breakfast vouchers were provided to three local restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LDanter
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This place was very nice! We were driving from SF to LA and wanted to break up the drive. After seeing a friend's pictures of Morro Bay, we decided to stop in this cute town.

I picked the Beach Bungalow Inn & Suites partly because of the positive reviews but also because it was really hard to find a hotel for just a Saturday. Places were booked and/or had a two night minimum. I found the reservation process to be easy but was surprised that one evening was $300+. It really seemed like in these coastal areas, you're paying $300/night for a nice place or staying in a really crappy place - which is not where I wanted to take my two kids. Keep in mind this was summer on a weekend so that influenced prices, I'm sure.

For that price, you really except a lot. And the place delivered. The pictures are very accurate. The rooms are really nice, modern and clean. When you drive in, it's pretty much a motel. But the rooms are impressive - the fire place was a nice touch. I read some reviews where people complained about street noise. I think we were on the side next to the big street but we weren't bothered by any noise. We also did keep our windows closed, so maybe that had something to do with it.

The girl at the front desk wasn't especially helpful in suggestions for things to do or where to go for dinner. But we were only there for a night, so no big deal. We wanted to see Morro Rock so we drove there while we were waiting for our room to be ready. (This was my only complaint - the reservation process asked when you would be arriving. I put 2 p.m. because we were driving and I knew when we would arrive and had hoped to unload our stuff before sight-seeing. But our room was not ready. So why ask when we will arrive if the room won't be ready for you? Maybe this is more so for late check-in, in which case, it should be made clear). After we got into our room, we headed down to the main drag where we window shopped and grabbed dinner.

The complementary breakfast was a nice touch and we had no problems using our vouchers. We had to get back on the road so we left shortly after breakfast.

I would recommend this place! Clean, modern and a nice location.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I really expected more for a $200 a night room. It really was just a redecorated motel room. It was redecorated but with cheap stuff. Although the bed looked nice, the pillows were foam and the quilt was bad polyester filled. Small tv, although flat screen. There was nowhere in the bathroom to put your stuff except one tiny little table and the toilet. The inn was only abount four blocks from the bay and the embarcadero, so the location was nice, but there was no view. Beware.. the tax for accomodations in Morro Bay is 13%. Yikes. I wouldn't stay at this place again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Picade, Managing Partner at Beach Bungalow Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your review.

We are grateful for your frank and courteous comments. The Beach Bungalow Inn and Suites is a Classic Motor Court style Motel. The motel was built in the late 20's to mid 30's and part of its charm is the original quaint design. The inn was remodeled 18 months ago and every effort to anticipate and accommodate guests needs were placed into the interior design and exterior gardens. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations with our selections.

When making a reservation directly with the hotel all guests are quoted room and tax. Unfortunately, we can not ask a 3rd party or Internet booking agents to quote tax on the guest room rate. The City of Morro Bay charges a lodging tax that the hotelier is required to collect on their behalf. We are extremely apologetic that the booking agent did not clarify, quote and include the lodging tax on the reservation.

At the Beach Bungalow the staff's goal is to make every guest happy. We were pleased to see that you liked our location, the cleanliness of the room and had a good nights rest while staying with us. We would welcome another opportunity to serve you. Please feel free to contact us directly upon your next visit to Morro Bay.

Warmest and Sincerest Regards,

Joan Solu

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We loved this hotel! It was so beautiful and we loved having a kitchen and separate bedroom for the kids. We stayed in the Abalone room and the King Mattress is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on! We appreciated all the homey touches such as the robes and slippers and can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family