“Lovely stay in Napa, CA”

1801 First Luxury Inn
Ranked #3 of 22 Napa B&B and Inns
Southern California
“Lovely stay in Napa, CA”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our 2-year anniversary and we really enjoyed ourselves. We stayed in a suite that was clean, spacious and well-appointed. The location is walking distance to downtown Napa and the staff is very helpful with recommendations for eateries and wineries. My only disappointment in my stay at 1801 First Inn was breakfast. Breakfast was tasty, fresh and ready on time, but the choices were limited.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1801First, Owner at 1801 First Luxury Inn, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear guests,
Thank you for taking the time to post a message on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We’re delighted that you had a great experience. However, we are also disappointed that you were not equally delighted with our breakfast service. Our chef strives to surprise and intrigue our guests with two amazing entrée choices each morning. Additionally, we start the service with fresh baked breads that vary each day, as well as a fresh fruit course. And guests also have the opportunity to choose their dining time as well, to provide for the most enjoyable experience. Not surprising though, our breakfast service is typically the one thing that is raved about the most in Trip Advisor reviews! But because we want to delight all of our guests, we hope we’ll have another opportunity to do so for you: Please visit us again and we will do our best to offer you the most scrumptious options during your visit! Thank you again for choosing 1801 First Inn.

Darcy
Proprietor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
downers grove
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The staff was outstanding. We stayed three days. Made great recommendations for things to do and places to eat and when necessary the reservations. Some of the best hot breakfast ever. Though your options are one hot and one cold breakfast, they worked with us to modify them to meet our pleasures. Rooms are over sized and very comfortable. The gas fireplace in the room was great to take the chill off the room when we got up each morning. We were in suite 2 and did not have a noise issue, which is important since my wife is a light sleeper. Have all ready recommended the inn to friends going later this year.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dave G
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This is a great inn in Napa that has a lot of charm. The owners/innkeepers and staff are very friendly and helpful. The hot breakfasts were wonderful and likely the best of any place I've stayed (served at 8:30, 9 or 9:30 am depending upon your selection, or a to-go continental option if you have to leave earlier). The breakfast would start with a baked goods basket, followed by fresh fruit, followed by a hot entree such as scrambled eggs with poached salmon, blueberry french toast, or buttermilk pancakes and bacon. They had good wine for the wine and cheese hour, and on Friday a boutique winery came with their wines for the wine hour. Their cookies were yummy and available 24 hours along with a hot tea selection or coffee. The inn has beautiful hardwood floors, and a nice seating area/living room with a fireplace. The room was well appointed, with quality linens. The king bed was more to the soft side. The bathroom amenities were fine and it was clean and well maintained. There was a gas fireplace in the room which must have done some previous smoke damage to the mantle, which needed repainting, but the smoke residue was cleaned to the point it didn't come off on one's hands. Our room was Suite 1, which faced the pretty busy intersection of First and Jefferson. This intersection is photo-light enforced which gives one an indication of the amount of traffic it receives. There is also a fire station and police station a block over, so expect to hear fire engine sirens. Both my husband and I (a heavy and light sleeper respectively) had trouble getting a restful night's sleep. The car traffic noise does die down after 10pm (11pm on Friday) and doesn't pick up until around 6am, but expect to hear quite a bit of it otherwise, and the fire truck woke us up quite early too. We were on the bottom floor, so the footsteps of occupants above us were easily heard because of the hardwood floors/age of the house. This wasn't a big deal except for the first night when the occupants above us were moving around quite early before dawn (hot air balloon flights in Napa are in the morning with people having to meet up around 4:30am). The location of the inn makes it an easy walk to restaurants and shopping and it's a quick drive to the main highway. The room had a large flat screen TV as well as a DVD player (the tray to load the DVD was stuck and required jimmying each time). The inn does have wireless internet. I used an iTouch to get the internet, but the connection was weak to nonexistent in our suite (I assume because of the wall architecture), so I used it in the common sitting area when I needed it. We really enjoyed the staff, the food, the beauty of the inn, but we prefer B&Bs in quieter locations, so that is the only reason we wouldn't go back to this inn, and obviously, the location is out of the innkeeper's control. I would recommend this inn to others, but if you are looking for quiet, it may not be the right location, or one should specifically request the quietest room.

Room Tip: I would recommend speaking to the innkeepers about selecting a quieter room. Suite 2 (lower level...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Audra N
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This is a great B&B in a great location. The staff were very pleasant and extremely helpful with all our many requests. The food was delicious, varied, and plentiful.

We used all three of the upstairs rooms and each is beautifully decorated and spacious. We all agreed the beds are some of the best we have ever slept on.

The only small concern we had was parking. We have a large car and it was difficult to park. There is on street parking, which we would have gladly used, but was occupied while we were visiting. But we worked it out and is certainly not a detractor for this wonderful place.

We all highly recommend you try 1801 First -- it will be one of your favorite memories!!!

• Stayed February 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Beautiful inn, welcoming staff, great location, big rooms clean, comfortable. Perfect!

Room Tip: 1st floor suites are really nice garden has a queen bed but nice. climate in there is not consistent...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Went to 1801 First to celebrate our wedding anniversary, and we could not have been more pleased. We stayed in the Carriage House, which is a detached building just behind the main house. The CH was very comfortable and spacious. 1801 First is in a great location -- a short walk to downtown Napa, and provided an excellent way to walk off our dinners. The breakfasts at 1801 were all outstanding, and the staff -- Felice, Kali, Audrey and Tony -- were extremely willing and helpful to make our visit to Napa extraordinary. They arranged wine tastings, dinner reservations, even helped us ship some wine back home. We had a great trip, and 1801 First was an integral part of it. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We traveled to Napa in September with another couple and stayed at 1801 First for four nights. It is a large, lovely old two-story house that has been beautifully maintained (or, perhaps restored--we didn't inquire.) Both couples took king bedded rooms. Ours was upstairs and a bit more expensive than theirs downstairs, but both rooms were large, charmingly decorated and had good beds and good sized, modern well appointed bathrooms with lots of outlets. I think there were about half a dozen rooms in the house. There were several additional rooms in one-story out buildings in the back of the house. They seemed equally nice but they only featured queen sized beds and we wanted kings so we stayed in the house.

The atmosphere here is very warm and welcoming. Breakfast is included with the room and is served in a pretty dining room. In order for the staff to serve breakfast in an efficient and timely fashion, they request that you let them know the night before what time you plan to eat and what you will be ordering from the menu. They were extremely accommodating about allergies and food preferences and gladly added or left things out on request. They asked if I wanted skim or regular milk with my cereal and when I said a prefererred soy milk, they offered to run out and pick some up for me. I declined but felt it was a very nice gesture. There's also pot of coffee available if you get up early and want to take a cup into the parlor or to your room.

There is only a small staff who share the tasks of answering the phone, manning the desk, providing concierge services and serving breakfast but they were all extremlely pleasant, helpful and efficient and they worked really hard to make us feel welcome and to make our visit to Napa enjoyable. They were very knowledgeable about things to do and places to go and were happy to make restaurant reservations for us. Every day around 5:00 or 6:00 they set up wine and cheese or other nibblies in the backyard area and guests could get together and socialize before going off to dinner. After we had checked out (and were already in Muir Woods) I realized I didn't have my diamond ring. As soon as I got somewhere with cell phone service, I went to call 1801 First and found there was already a message on my phone from Felice saying they had found my ring and were holding it for me. She held it for me until I got home and then Fedexed it to me so. I just loved this place.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends