“Expected a little more...”
Review of Blackbird Inn

Blackbird Inn
Ranked #17 of 22 Napa B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Expected a little more...”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I was given a $500.00 gift certificate for any "Four Sisters" inn. We had never done Napa, so decided to check this out. We are also from the Pasadena, CA area and have an appreciation for homes built in the Craftsman style/era. The inn is located strangely on a very busy corner across the street from the offices of the "Wine Spectator". Entrance to the small parking lot is only from one side of the Inn - not the front, so it took a couple of u-turns to get there (look them up on Google Maps Street View if you are curious). The actual house has been completely refurbished and is quite nice. The common area includes a fireplace, sofas, and small round tables/chairs, where they also serve the afternoon wine/snacks/cheese and breakfast. The atmosphere is quite dark with all the wood, and in my opinion additional light would be a great touch. The staff are very young, albeit friendly and eager to please. Our room was upstairs and had a balcony that was fully covered by some kind of climbing vegetation, so there was complete privacy. Furnishings were comfortable, but honestly not the most luxurious. I expected a little more in terms of amenities in the bathroom, but the offerings were pretty standard. There were nice robes, which proved handy while enjoying our wine on the balcony. While I can understand why there was vegetation covering the balcony - it just was overlooking the small parking lot - but it was kind of claustrophobic if you were hoping for some kind of expansive view. Breakfast was definitely a let down. It was basically a frittata of some sort that was generally cold or needing to be replenished, fruit, and pastries/bread. If you are like us and enjoy a nice brunch, skip the continental breakfast and enjoy one of the many great restaurants. The location is within walking distance of the downtown area, although I was not that impressed as it seems like the recession has really shut a lot of the small businesses down. To really see the winery and more restaurants, you have to drive down the road a bit. There is no jacuzzi or pool, so be advised. Also, this would be a very boring place for kids as there really is no space to accommodate. Overall, this place was comfortable and clean, but didn't deliver based on how much we paid for it. To me, it is the attention to the little things that really make something that is good, exceptional.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I am not a big B&B traveler but I decided to give this one a shot. I was very surprised as to what I found. The rooms are very spacious and quiet, I don't think I ever heard anyone through the walls. Breakfast was great and the staff was friendly, and you can park out back.

• Stayed April 2011
Texas
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here. Our room was very nice and we enjoyed the wine, snacks and breakfast. The staff was so helpful and conversational and even made reservations for us. This bed and breakfast is just a few blocks away from downtown Napa and we enjoyed our walks every day.

Room Tip: I chose the "quiet room" and was glad I did because the other rooms bordered the street.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The Blackbird Inn is centrally located in Napa. The property is beautiful inside and out. The room was very comfortable and quiet. On the downside, the breakfast lacked any creativity and panache based on what we paid, parking was challenging because the lot is located on a one way street off of other one way streets and can be confusing to get in to and overall the price seemed very high all things considered.

Room Tip: hard bed, awful pillows
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We needed a single night, and booked a room at the Blackbird Inn for $250 (plus tax). Be sure you're into Arts and Crafts style and antiques if you stay here. The breakfast was okay, the bed mostly comfortable, but for the price, next time we'll go back to the Avia Napa.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Spent two nights at the BlackBird Inn with family. Location is excellent if staying in Napa is your thing; 3 block walk to downtown. The house is an attractive Craftsman House, completely redone inside. Easy check-in.. Rooms was all very much the same in terms of size, color, decor; some rooms do have small balconies (big enough for 2 chairs/small table). Rooms are small, but nicely furnished, pleasant, and well cared for. There is a refrigerator downstairs, into which guests may put wines or left over pizza; a nice feature.

Breakfast was mediocre at best; lots of pastries and cooling eggs. Fresh fruit was available. In the late afternoon there is wine and snacks available gratis. Wine ran out fairly quickly and wasn't replenished; the snacks were tasty. The chocolate chip cookies available in the afternoon and evening and okay.

Those working at the desk were attentive and willing to try and solve any minor problems that arose.

There is nothing wrong with this B&B and it is one of the least expensive in a very expensive valley. For the cost, I had hoped it would knock off my socks, but it didn't and that's okay..........it was a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NeroNewDelhi
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I'll be honest, I've only stayed at one other B&B in Napa, but I can say the Blackbird Inn was truly wonderful. From the staff at check in, to the afternoon 'tea' (it was really wine, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, and dessert), to our room, to breakfast the next day everything was great. I loved that each room had it's own bathroom and shower, as well as a sitting area. The lobby was very well decorated and comfortable and inviting, and the front porch was a great place to sit and finish my coffee in the morning. Plus, the location made it easy to walk down to Main St. for dinner and drinks.

Normally when I go to Napa I stay at my timeshare, but I think I'll save those points for a different vacation and return to the Blackbird Inn next time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple