“Best wine tour by far!!”
Review of Hendry Ranch Wines

Hendry Ranch Wines
Ranked #21 of 190 things to do in Napa
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Best wine tour by far!!”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We were lucky enough to stumble upon the trip advisor reviews for this winery and decided to check it out. We were pleasantly surprised and would recommend everyone visit this winery for a tour. Given by the owner, we learned everything imaginable about the wine making process, from planting to harvesting, to diseases of the vines, to costs and styles of wine production, to food pairings. We are from the Niagara wine region and have done MANY winery tours over the years and still learned some new things came away with a better appreciation of the world of wine. Tasting of 7 wines, with great teaching from the owner himself. Couldn't have asked for a better way to start the trip in Napa!!

7 Thank docpartridge

Atlanta, Georgia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“First and finest stop in wine country”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I think Hendry Vineyard is the perfect starting point for any nerd who wants to get into wine. I use the term nerd affectionately as both my husband and I consider ourselves nerds since he's an engineer and I'm an architect. Hendry was our first wine tour, I scheduled it last minute after reading all the yelp and trip advisor reviews saying if you are engineer, this is the tour to take, and I thought, well we have an afternoon free before a full day of wine tasting in Sonoma, let's try Hendry! BEST DECISION I MADE!!!

George Hendry the owner, led our small group on a wine tour that lasted well over 2 hours. We LOVED this, but if you are not that interested or are already quite knowledgeable about the wine making process, I can see how this would not be everyone's cup of tea. We loved George, he answered all our questions, we had a great dialog back and forth throughout the entire tour and tasting. We tasted 11 different wines, and let me tell you, George is not shy on the pours! The tasting is $20, but waived if you buy a bottle of equal or greater value. We really enjoyed all the wines at Hendry, particularly the Zinfandels and the Cabernets. We actually brought home a case of Hendry wine, and we've since joined the "friends of Hendry" wine club.

I recommend Hendry to wine newbies who like technical details and small intimate groups.

I do not recommend Hendry for wine connoisseurs who do not want to waste over 2 hours on content they already know. I also do not recommend Hendry for groups not interested in technical details of wine but in getting intoxicated and visiting as many wineries as possible in a day.

Hendry was the perfect intro to our weekend in wine country, but it's not for everyone and I recommend doing your research to make sure it's the right fit for you before making your reservation.

Visited November 2011
6 Thank ATLWanderLust
Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great education from George”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We made this our first stop as it's voted #1 in Tripadvisor. George hosted the tour and the wine taste. George is great teacher to show us how humble but fulfilling the life they live, amidst great wine and open valley. Hendry is nice, quiet, unassuming, and understated. A little gem just down the road from the south end of Napa. We had a total of 3 hours with George and generous serving of 10 different wines sitting down in a long wood table. We did not have to stand up to the bar where there is a barrier between me and my wine guru. Definitely a highlight in the Napa/Sonoma visit.

1 Thank WilmaIllinois
Jacksonville, Florida
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Wonderful tour!”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Jeff was a fantastic tour guide - very witty and fun! Loved hearing how they made their wine since they do things a bit differently since they are engineers! Wonderful way to start off our Napa vacation and we loved their wines! Jeff taught us a lot - yet in a fun way! We got to even sample a "corked" wine vs one that wasn't - that was pretty fun since I never knew what to really be "looking" for (or rather smelling) when seeing if a wine was corked or not. Overall a beautiful farm and a fun tour!

3 Thank carriefromcharlotte
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The real deal”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My husband and I went here because it was rated so highly on tripadvisor. It was fantastic. Sweet man who has run and owned the vineyard for 40 years (George) takes you from sup to nuts in the process and agriculture of growing grapes and making wine. The grounds are beautiful and when the tasting begins George is generous in what he shares. He does little exercises to expand your knowledge of your palate. For us, this was the exact "wine tour" we wanted. It was why we came to napa. Its only $20 a head for a 2.5 hour tour/tasting and of course the fee is waived if you buy wine. Excellent!

3 Thank nootied