“It's a better alternative than staying at Motel 6...or maybe not?”

Comfort Inn and Suites Newark
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Newark
San Ramon, California
“It's a better alternative than staying at Motel 6...or maybe not?”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Before this place turned into a Comfort Inn, it used to be a Holiday Inn Express and from the looks of it, I can understand why the Holiday Inn chain decided to pull it's flag.

The hotel has seen it's better days, inside and out. We arrived in the evening and the entire parking lot was dark and felt unsafe like my car could easily get broken into. Not sure if their lighting was not working, so I'm hoping it was just that one fluke.

The lobby is far from appealing and the furnishings were quite dated. Upon walking through the hallway to get to the room, it felt creepy as if some drug deal was going on behind one of the guestroom doors. Okay, maybe that's too dramatic but, I didn't like seeing that trash can in the hallway to catch the water from a leaking ceiling.

The room looked clean, but didn't feel clean. There were huge stains on the desk chair and the large corner chair. The stains were so bad, you'd want a towel on it before sitting on it, much less, just to look at. I was just so grossed out I didn't sit on either. The carpets didn't feel clean either so I never walked on it with bare feet. The bed and linen were decent though. Definitely not a fan of the huge tube TV.

The bathroom for the most part was clean. There however was mildew on the caulking around the vanity and near the tub.

Now why on earth would I stay at this hotel? My parents were in town and their organization was hosting their event here as well so I paid them a visit since it's not too far away, not to mention I don't seem them often enough as I should.

Speaking of the event, they had a meeting room that was roughly 1,600sf if I had to guess. They were having an evening dinner and I have no clue why the room was setup classroom style with rows of tables instead of rounds. Maybe it was to maximize the attendance but it was tight. The meeting room was in bad shape and I'd seriously not consider this hotel for your business presentation meeting to potential clients, that's for sure.

Overall, I'd never stay at this hotel again, there are a few better choices in the surrounding area. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: "Add a tip to help travelers choose a good room?" Book another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank norcalnick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Camarillo, California
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while driving back and forth to Washington Medical Center where my daughter-in-law was giving birth to my first grandchild. The hotel is located just off the 880 Hwy. close to lots of shopping malls and restaurants -- very convenient. It's far enough away from all the business and freeways to be pretty quiet -- except for the occasional train whistle and sounds of the big trucks starting their engines in the early morning.

The bathroom was very clean -- I took a couple of baths. I don't do this if I even think for a moment that the bathroom isn't clean enough. The bed was comfortable. I wish they had an in-room fridge -- there was none and the only ice machine that I know of is on the second floor, so if you're on the 1st or 3rd, you have to go up or down to get ice.

The breakfast was good -- they actually had sausage and eggs -- unusual -- most hotels like this one just have the pancake maker and a few danish and toast. They also had fresh bananas and oranges -- Not old fruit ready to be thrown away -- I've seen that in other hotels too.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing to stay in Fremont for a few days.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 29 November 2011

As a wheelchair user, usually I write about disability issues in hotels, but not this time. The hotel is in need of a remodel or at least a good cleaning. The inside of the shower curtain and some of the bathroom walls had brown splatter on them of unknown origin. The vertical bar holding the shower head was broken, so the show head was only in the lowest position - fine for me on the shower chair, but at crouch level for those who stand in the shower. The message light on the phone constantly blinked, but there were no messages. The phone didn't work some of the time. We reserved a room for 3 - a suite with a pull out couch. We discovered (at 11pm) that the pull out was not made up. The management claimed they thought there were only 2 people in the room - but my reservation was clearly for 3 and had already told them we needed more towels. The pullout bed was also broken - the bottom third of the bed was almost completely unsupported and would fall to the ground if you sat on it.
Breakfast was AWFUL. The sausages were dry lumps of meat (?). No eggs. Even the make it yourself waffles were not the usual type and tasted terrible. No syrup was available.
Over all, very defensive management and a lousy room.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank traveler1150

Travellers are raving about these Newark hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks and it is a very nice place with large rooms and a decent breakfast. I will stay here again the next time I am in town. Thanks you staff at the Comfort Inn

Room Tip: If you are a handicapped person ask for room 115
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dada1111
Long Island
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was the usual fare for a free continental buffet. The staff was helpful and courteous. Our room had a problem with the lamps. The desk clerk moved us immediately to an available suite at no charge.

Room Tip: Ignore petty remarks in reviews
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Fremont, CA
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Great Place to stay in Bay Area. I used to stay in this hotel earlier too. This was a Holiday Inn and then become a Comfort Inn. Rooms are real big. Once you get into the room, you feel that you are in Holiday Inn but we are paying price of Comfort Inn. In the Hotel, you will find space every where. Even Breakfast area is super . Nice Breakfast too. Great place to leave in Bay Area.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I came here for one night during an exhausting, stressful trip, and it was a wonderful place to rest. I wished I could have extended my stay but they couldn't give me the great $43 rate I got on Hotwire. The staff here is SO helpful, friendly, and genuinely sweet. The woman at the front desk allowed me to switch rooms so I could have a microwave and fridge, and they let me check out an hour late. The place is very roomy and looks old in some areas, but the rooms are very clean, the toiletries are nice and bathrooms in good order. Wifi is free and the connection is strong. The breakfast selection is very good, although it would be nice if they had eggs/yogurt and not just apples and oranges for healthy-eating people. You can make your own waffles and the poppy seed muffins looked good. They have a fitness room but I didn't get a chance to use it, though it is open 24 hours.
Overall, a very convenient, comfortable, welcoming place. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank flyermontana
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
1.0 km away
Aloft Silicon Valley
#3 of 9 in Newark
4.7 km away
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley

Been to Comfort Inn and Suites Newark? Share your experiences!