“Excellent service, very fine US-styled sushi for Americans”
Review of Sumo Sushi

Sumo Sushi
Ranked #11 of 96 Restaurants in Newbury Park
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed July 12, 2018

Creative rolls, nicely served, aesthetically beautiful and tasty Japanese fare for all to enjoy. Don't confuse this for classic sushi houses such as Sushi Nozawa in the San Fernando Valley near the Tujunga offramp of the 101/134 interchange. It's not quintessentially Japanese fare in its empiric, classic form, but that is not denigrating what Sumo does. What Sumo offers is on par with Sushi Oaks in Newbury Park and to a greater degree Minato Sushi in Thousand Oaks, but I suggest you enjoy this place. Expect crowds and a wait. Reservations are only for large parties, and then they're not on time.

Reviewed June 2, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I have frequented this restaurant for years. It is our go to for sushi. The best experience is at the sushi bar. Be aware that the good prices and 2 happy hours are well known and it can be very busy with long waits so plan your trip. The best time is lunch on Sundays, they must get a fresh shipment that day for the fish is very fresh and few people go.

Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

I’ve been here several times they have great lunch specials
food is good
slightly pricey
good service

Reviewed April 29, 2018

We went for dinner to try a new sushi place. Sumo has great reviews so we thought we would give it a try. The decor was nice and they turn tables quickly with fast service. A typical roll will run around fourteen dollars and appetizers about ten. I had a jalapeno yellowtail, which I found dry and warm, and a couple other rolls with my group and they were kinda plain. The spicy tuna used a strange source for the spice and the other rolls didn't have much flavour. We might go again for some inexpensive happy hour but likely will not return.

Reviewed March 1, 2018

Great Sushi. The place was packed for Happy Hour so the food took a little longer to come that I would have liked but that is to be expected.

My daughter found a fly in her food and the dish was replaced immediately with much apologizing. They took her plate off the bill. I do not think that it was a regular occurrence because everyone was truly horrified.

Despite that, our whole group would come back again in a heartbeat. The food is really nicely cooked and we were all stuffed when we left (and everyone had something to go home with - you cannot fault the portions!)

I would thoroughly recommend you visit Sumo, you will not regret it.