“A real sleeper, in a quiet strip mall in Newbury Park”
Review of Roma Italian Deli

Roma Italian Deli
Ranked #19 of 95 Restaurants in Newbury Park
Cuisines: Deli, Italian
Reviewed February 4, 2018

I've been here now about three dozen times, most recently for lunch, so I'm reviewing a second time. My initial review concentrated I believe on the sit-down service dinner menu, where I praised the lasagna and bolognese (with any pasta).

I go here with a group of friends once a month, and we have sandwiches, soup or a salad, typically. The minestrone is always different, but always great. The standard lunch salad isn't just lettuce and tomato; it's appetizing,with beans and croutons. The house Italian dressing is fine, but so is balsalmic vinegar alone! The sandwiches are superb, from tuna to turkey and cheese to meatball. They're generous, appetizing and always come with soup or salad. Drinks include tea and soft drinks, including imported ones. It's a fun dining experience. During lunch one orders at the counter and is served at the table. The staff are superb---all of them, and the chefs will go to great lengths to prepare your meal just as you wish (one of my compadres is very fussy about his Cobb salad, and he gets what he wants every time. Another just wants his turkey and cheese heated, with nothing on it but turkey and cheese. He has never had to return it over the years. The proprietor is usually around at lunch, and he oversees the whole operation with gentility and kindness. He always makes sure the customer is satisfied.

Reviewed October 2, 2017 via mobile

Love their chicken picatta, my favorite dish in their menu. Their sides of olives and butter nut squash soups are delicious and their desserts are fantastic.

Reviewed August 28, 2017

If you're into Rock and Roll during dinner, this is NOT the place. However they do have a accordion player, playing nice Italian music. The food is great and Phil the owner likes a corny joke.

Reviewed May 9, 2017

Salad looked 3 months old and brown. I called to complain but they really didn't care. Never went back.

Reviewed March 4, 2017 via mobile

I literally have dreams about the gnocchi! I will drive however far out of the way to visit here! Great food, even better service!