See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 3, 2015

My husband and I were looking for a place to take Mom away for a weekend to celebrate her 89th birthday. She loves Balboa Island so we thought the Balboa Inn would be perfect. It is walking distance to the ferry to get across to Balboa and right near the beach.

Unfortunately it was not what we hoped for. The hotel is restored from 1929. We were expecting period furnishings but instead what we found were modern IKEA furnishings. The one plus about this is the bed was confortable.

The rooms are small and unattractive and they use extremely noxious cleaning products to clean the floors etc in the rooms so bad that we literally had to open the windows and leave for several hours.

The view was non existent and very noisy.

The restaurant on site -- an Italian restaurant was so bad that we actually had to send Mom's meal back.

All in all a real disappointment. We won't be returning.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank nld_barb
Reviewed September 10, 2015

We were really excited to stay in this nice hotel on the sand with a great bar and a fabulous Italian restaurant. Checked in to find it was an additional $35 a day to park the car, plus a $15 resort fee, which brought the room fee up to $400 a night. Then saw the room, which was not nearly as nice as a Motel 6, and had a lovely view of a brick wall which immediately gave you claustophobia. The TV remote didn't work, the bedside lamp didn't work, there was no chair just hassocks which made it uncomfortable to be in the room. Went down to the bar to find it closed with no plans to open, and then found the restaurant was not opening. The surrounding areas "fine dining" options consisted of a very small and abreviated menu at BJs, or a bar with all you could eat tacos for $6. After touring the surrounding area for 2 minutes, we checked out and drove back home. Losing money for the reservation was better than enduring a single night in that dump in what could only be described as a rundown/seedy part of town with nothing to recommend it. Very disappointing!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank Herm0sa
Reviewed September 7, 2015 via mobile

Maybe a portable toilet is more disgusting but I doubt it. Big pool of water in the room from our non working fridge. They took us to 3 different rooms before we found one where the toilet actually flushed. Pee stain on the mattress pads. Housekeeping did NOT change this when I complained at the front desk. No art on the walls and with the gray paint I felt like I was in some type of institution. Lovely view of rooftops which were in urgent need of repair and mold in the tile shower floors. We had to climb over mops in the corridor to get to our room. This place is downright NASTY for over $250/night!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank kaykane
Reviewed September 6, 2015

First of all I am not used to spending $500+ a night for a room but we did since it was our anniversary. The location of the hotel was perfect if you enjoy the hustle and bustle of a crowded beach resort. We valet parked our car for $35 and did not need it until we left. Everything was within walking distance. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially Max the bellhop/valet. Unfortunately I felt the room was not what I expected for the price. The bed was small for 2 people (I think it might have been a full) although comfortable. The furniture was old and chipped. There were no extra blankets in the room. I couldn't sleep and moved in the middle of the night to the couch and had to use a bathrobe (which was provided in the closet) as a blanket. Bottled water in the room cost $4 each..really? There was nothing special or upscale about this hotel except for the location.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2015

First I want to say we have stayed here in the past and Loved it ...every year we go to Balboa rent a home we have dinner here at Balboa Inn with our entire family usually between 10-15 of us ...this trip was only my husband and I . Upon our arrival we were greeted by a woman named Michelle which was very rude to my husband.. we dismissed her rude remarks we went to our room which was suppose to be ocean view instead it was view of the bar and side walks she told my husband maybe next time we can have the better view even though thats what we were told we rented ...we decided to go have dinner at the restaurant which we have always loved ...we waited to be seated a guy that didn't speak english very well pointed to a table we waited for a server for about 10 min finally a girl past us and we asked for a menu there were no other people helping this poor girl that was trying to serve every table by herself ...every table but one was full ...a
couple that was sitting a few tables down from us got up and left and so did the people next to us ..our waitress was kind but obviously over work ...I have never seen this restaurant so poorly ran ... the couple that was sitting next to us said the bartender down stairs was really rude to them and they were not going to spend any more money at this place and left ..the only positive points about this place was it was very clean and our bell man was extremely nice and even he seem to be a little taken back by the rude comments of the front desk lady ..we were not the only ones that had encountered her snide remarks we talked to another couple which stated that they would not come back here again we told them we had stayed her in the past and we had never been treated like this it obviously has had some management trouble ....Sad its not the Place we loved so much .... ..Another thing is we were told our room came with a continental breakfast what a joke.. I will share a picture ...it was store bought wrapped muffins ..I just about got sick looking at them ...we spent $400.00 on a room to be served muffins that were pre wrapped when they have a restaurant on sight ... we will stay clear of this place till management problems is resolved .....

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple