“Best of the Best”

The Resort at Pelican Hill
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Excellent property, very good service, excellent bungalow rooms with fire place. The clubhouse restaurant is very good. Perfect for a romantic getaway, definitely would recommend, can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view, some although pointed to the ocean have garden view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Resort at Pelican Hill

Reviewed 13 March 2012

OMG I was blown away at this resort. The staff was great. The views were as if I haved died and gone to heaven. Thank you for the wonderful expierence. Staff was amazingly friendly.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2012

In 2008, the luxe Pelican Hill resort opened, setting the bar (believe it or not) higher for southern California luxury resorts. This lovely hotel, resort, golf paradise and spa is situated in the foothills between Newport Beach and Laguna Beach.

PALLADIAN PERFECTION

I have classified Pelican Hill as an ultra-luxurious hotel for several reasons. First, the resort takes incredible pride in its design and in particular, the intricate detail in the design. Pelican Hill pays homage to Andrea Palladio, an Italian Renaissance master of architectural design, born in 1508 in Padua, Italy. Palladio’s name at birth was Andrea Di Pietro della Gondola; it was changed by scholar Gian Giorgio Trissino to mimic the name of the Greek goddess of war and wisdom, Pallas Athene, often simply called Athena. This name change was undoubtedly a sign of respect and awe at the incredible skill the architect possessed. Pelican Hill further honors Palladio by following his style and dedication to perfection.

Inside, the open lobby is very large, but still maintains intimacy. The hearth here, as well as in all public areas and accommodations, is made from limestone imported from Italy. If you’ll look closely, you can see it was hand-carved. The tapestries decorating the walls are originals from the Renaissance period. Their whimsical princess, castle and unicorn themes are charming. The color palette of the entire resort is neutral in order to draw the eye to the details and natural color outside.

ROOMS

It is in accommodation design that Pelican Hill reveals its pledge to the privacy of its guests. All accommodations are either bungalows or villas, each with a private entrance. Bungalows include almost all of the items on my personal comforts of home checklist. Their cashmere robes are exquisite – the best I have personally experienced. Each bungalow has a gas fireplace, double sinks and a marble soaking tub. The Bose sound system and private terraces go above and beyond my expectations.

Pelican Hill’s villas are gated –a resort within a resort. These are no-holds-barred luxury homes. The defining characteristics that set them apart are:

Gourmet kitchens with wine cabinets, Sub Zero refrigerators, Wolf ovens and cook-tops, and professional cookware from Cuisipro.

60-inch flatscreen HD TVs and Bose sound systems.

Private one- or two-car garages.

Fine table linens from Rivolta Carmignani and Fili D’Oro.

A 10,000-square-foot exclusive Villa Clubhouse.

DINING

Pelican Hill is ultra-luxurious not only for its design and quality finishes, but also for the meticulous attention to detail that continues in their dining experiences. Pelican Hill has two fine dining choices, restaurants Andrea (named after Andrea Palladio) and Coliseum. The hotel also features two cafés, one of which offers handmade gelato in deliciously distinctive flavors created by the chefs of Andrea.

On a spectacular Thursday morning, I had the opportunity to enjoy brunch on the heated veranda of the Coliseum. The view of the beautifully groomed golf course, the intricately-hand tiled brilliant blue Coliseum pool, the pool cabanas arranged in leveled coliseum fashion, the already spring-green southern Californian hills and the vast Pacific Ocean was breathtaking, to say the least. My meal was up to the challenge of matching my view – I ate every bite of the huge Belgian waffle garnished with locally-picked berries.

Just as Palladio looked to his surroundings for inspiration for his architecture, Pelican Hill revels in the local treasury of ingredients the area has to offer. Ancient olive trees can be found around the property and, on occasion, olives from on-site are turned into olive oil for the hotel’s chefs and guests.

PAMPERING

As you would expect from a hotel in this class, the Spa at Pelican Hill is quintessential indulgence. It is no wonder that celebrities are drawn here. Celebrity or not, though, do not miss this treat. I recommend the Amber Gold Signature Massage. Like most, it uses Swedish massage techniques to relax the guest. Unlike most spa massages, extra steps are taken to insure the best possible experience. For example, the masseuse uses a soft brush to exfoliate the skin before an infusion of natural oils is applied to the body. This allows the skin to absorb the oils more efficiently for a lovely glow. Personalization is another way the spa caters to each guest.

MY RECOMMENDATION

Pelican Hill is an absolutely beautiful luxury resort. It still looks and feels brand new and yet manages to blend into the countryside as if it has been there for ages. The staff is quietly dedicated to guests and the concierge efforts are outstanding. This is the place for a private, calming vacation to relax and renew.

See our video review of Pelican Hill (and many other luxury resorts) at YouTube.com/TravelbyLori.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lori M
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Having stayed here an abbreviated 2 days last year, I was aunable to fully understand the dynamics of this resort. I knew it was good but it took a 4-day weekend in March of 2012 to truly appreciate all the resort has to offer ... and I'm thinking that it likely offers even more than what I had the time to experience.

We were greeted warmly on Friday on arrival - nothing fake about it ... as we all felt there was a genuine appreciation for us visiting their establishment. We checked into our villas then made our way to the Spa to enjoy a massage as a warm-up to our weekend .. and what a start it was. After a quick stop in the hot tub, enjoyed an 80 minute massage under the attenting hands of one of the most expereinced masseuse's ever - she was wonderful ... almost fell asleep but ensured that I stayed awake to fully appreciate the total massage.

After the massage, back to the room to change and then a really nice dinner at the Pelican Grill - food and service was wonderful.

Saturday came ... hot tub in the morning, followed by breakfast on the patio and then a round of golf on the North course ... amazing (the course, not the way I played it ... haha). Followed this up by spending much of the afternoon in the Coliseum Pool and hot tub, enjoying some beverages and the company of many new friends .. even met some interesting ladies from back home .. what are the chances? Finished the day off by enjoying some fine dining at Andrea's .. not pretentious at all - very lively and we were well take care of. The meal was great - as was the wine of course and we all really enjoyed ourselves. Afterwards, decided to catch the live entertainment ... the music and the people that were there. Safe to say, it was an interesting evening.

Sunday ... another fine breakfast, a round of golf on the South Course (that's a challenging one) and then spent the afternoon again at the Coliseum Pool - enjoying the water and the fresh fries ... and of course a beverage or two. Followed this with a fine dinner at Mastro's Steakhouse in Costa Mesa.

Spent Monday morning enjoying the villa and watching the golfers prior to check-out. It was a wonderful extended weekend and I could not ask for more. I only have a single complaint and that was with the walking concierge (Elektra I think) at the Coliseum in that she arranged for 'Pelican' style transportation for us to dinner on Sunday evening at Mastro's - however she misunderstood which location and as such Pelican would not drive us to the steakhouse. Instead they called us cabs - and hence we arrived about a half hour late for our reservation - fortunately they held the table for us. I was quite specific with the concierge in advising we were going to the Mastro's in Costa Mesa. Obviously she misunderstood. However we didn't let that ruin our evening as it just delayed dinner and nothing more.

So end of the day ... Pelican treated us very well ... and I will be back hopefully this summer to enjoy all that Pelican has to offer again. Well done!

BP

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank BadgerBear65
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My husband and I were lucky enough to stay here on a business trip. We absolutely loved it here! The only negative was that we only had 3 days to spend there! The staff was super helpful and friendly, the room was beautiful, clean, and comfortable. The view was beautiful and the pool area was so serene.
Overall I enjoyed my spa experience also. I did the standard massage, I'd suggest trying a deeper tissue if you really like your massages to be "productive", as this was more of a relaxing oil rub, it didn't really get any kinks out, but it was certainly enjoyable and relaxing. The facial was really wonderful and I really enjoyed the esthetician (I think her name was Rebecca). The spa facility was perfect, modern, clean, and quiet.
I found the resort grounds to be perfectly groomed and manicured and my husband loved the golf course. We also had the opportunity to do a private cooking class with the Executive Chef of the resort, Jean Pierre Dubray. They escorted us to a private 4 bedroom villa with a gorgeous terrace, where we cooked and ate. Jean Pierre was absolutely wonderful, and a superb chef. We had the most amazing lunch and being a lover of cooking (and eating!), I learned a lot too. Overall we had a wonderful stay. We loved the resort, the staff, the views, and the calm environment. I really hope to get the opportunity to visit Pelican Hill again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Stayed here back in December of 2010 and visiting again this month. This place is simply spectacular. Rooms are gorgeous! Full of amenities. Great bathrooms. The service is first class. The place is spotless clean. Food is great. The meeting room facilities are awesome with great views and all the amenities one needs to conduct a great meeting. The view of Catalina island are stunning. Both golf courses are great. Newport is a great area. It's pricey but that is to be expected at a hotel of this caliber and when they deliver, it makes it that much easier to accept. Can't say enough good things about Pelican Hill!

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view of the Pacific Ocean and Catalina island, do it!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Andwrig
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Drove down for the weekend with my husband, 1.5 year old, parents, and sister's family (husband and 6 month old). By far, probably one of the most luxurious hotels. We stayed in a 3-bedroom villa, which was nice then most houses I have seen. The balcony/patio had a very nice view of the golf course and ocean. Both the Colliseum pool and the Villa pool were great. The Colliseum pool is overwhelmingly beautiful. I think my daughter had the best time of all. The villa had a large main area with a full kitchen, living area, and dining room. 2 of the bedrooms had King Bed and one of the bedrooms had 2 queens. Upon special request, they will bring a crib. Having stayed at a few hotels now with babies/toddlers, the crib was perfect, standard size. The biggest negative about the hotel was it was empty. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who can afford it. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a villa!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#8 of 18 in Newport Beach
15.4 km away
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
17.0 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
4.7 km away
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!