“A most beautiful place to vacation- You'll wish you could move in!”

The Resort at Pelican Hill
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Las Vegas, Nevada
“A most beautiful place to vacation- You'll wish you could move in!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Pelican Hill resort in Newport Beach, California is one of the most beautiful and relaxing resorts I have ever visited. My family has made annual trips to Newport coast since leaving California to live in Las Vegas some 13 years ago : That being said, the past two visits have been spent at the best of all resorts in the are. Having stayed at both the St Regis and the Ritz Carlton several times I can tell you that Pelican Hill offers the most family friendly, upscale and relaxing stay of the three. The resort is laid out among acres of sprawling terraced landscapes, many with views of the ocean and or the golf course. You will never feel crowded due to the resort's casita bungalow style of accomodations , which allow guests to drive-up to their room. The main building houses a lounge style bar and restaurants which offer the most beautiful views of the Pacific ocean in the area.
That being said, the main attraction at Pelican Hill is clearly the vast Oasis Pool which has to be the best pool at any resort in north America : It is surrounded by upper level luxury cabanas which offer full-service food and beverage services in addition to televisions, stereos and a butler. From your chaise lounge your view includes the pool- in the foreground- framed by the golf course and , behind it, the ocean glistening with sailboats and all, into infinity.I promise you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view if you have the means! And be sure to dine on your terrace.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012 via mobile

This has to be one of the most breathtaking venues in the world! Truly eye candy and very relaxing with one of the most unique concepts of a hotel that I've ever experienced in a great way. I would totally recommend this property for relaxation, privacy or exclusivity because it gives you all of it in aces!!!

The service concept is present but there is a need for some service training in certain areas such as housekeeping opening the door without knocking, leaving the balcony door open after cleaning, and restaurant staff that wasn't prepared to be on the floorbut yet serving us (didn't know soup of the day, unfamiliar with how to charge house accounts, etc).

Now the super stars of service were the valet, guest transport, and the spa. Chris in the spa was the best spa attendant I have ever experienced of a spa in the world, respectful, kind, attentive and professional! Can't wait to return to this icon of a spa!!!

Stayed April 2012
Newport Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The golf courses are simply spectacular, We were apprehensive about having to share our golfing experience with a caddy at first but T..........s was a great help, the only down side was being reminded what it was like to be 20+ years younger as he sprinted from divot to bunker, shooting yardage for all throughout the round. The condition of the courses and the views are hard to match. Lunch at the clubhouse was very good, fresh seafood with a great grilled flavor. The service while friendly was severely lacking in training for such a target audience. The waitress stacked our finished plates right at my setting, somewhat unnerving at the cutlery clattered threatening my lap.
The room was spacious with huge ceilings and a great private view. The bathroom was equally Grande with fantastic walk-in shower along with a large tub that could overlook the bedroom and the ocean view. The snacks in the room were past their best by date evident by the single stale pretzel I tasted, details that should not be overlooked at this high end resort.
We eat at Andrea’s restaurant and were seated on the patio. Again the view was super, the seating was a little to informal and relaxed for fine dining for my liking preferring to sit a little more upright. The service was attentive but the food we had was far short of spectacular, I'd have to say I was disappointed that it did not compete with the many great nearby restaurants of Newport Beach.
The pool is a gem with great service and a terrific menu. I sampled a few of the cocktails and they all competed well against the best bars in Manhattan. While I did not take advantage of the spa my wife assured me it was worthy of its claims and highly recommended.
The overall experience was very good, Golf, Pool & Spa. Checking out left a bitter taste, I was glad I had returned to the car having forgot my reading glasses, close examination of the bill showed we had been charge for the golf package which had included our green fees and then again for the golf. I politely pointed this out and was ushered to another without any apology. The nonchalant manner in which the concierge reprinted the final bill left me feeling it happened regularly but may be not always caught. Even an "oops I don't know how that happened Sir" would have won me over..
The property is too good for the management to settle for average food and staff untrained in fine dining.

Room Tip: The King bed was a good choice.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark W
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience with us. While I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Golf Club, bungalow, pool and spa, I regret the unfortunate circumstances you encountered and detailed here.

I understand your level of disappointment, and appreciate the opportunity to improve upon the areas that fell short of your expectations and our goals. To this end, I invite you to contact me directly, so we may discuss your feedback further. I have provided my contact information in a private message to you.

As we continuously strive to enhance the guest experience throughout the resort, your thoughtful input is valued. I thank you again for providing your thoughts here, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again soon.

vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Pelican Hill. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The resort itself is lovely with a beautiful spa and excellent restaurants. The Italian restaurant was excellent and our breakfasts were delicious. The service was very good and they were most accommodating.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank yvr14
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Beautiful property however service extremely slow. Staff friendly enough however terrible lack of follow up-even complaining to the Assistant General Manager. Room service menu limited not worth the money

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Mari A
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful “Italian seaside village,” but regret the unfortunate circumstances surrounding service that you’ve noted here.

I understand your level of disappointment regarding staff follow-up and room service that fell short of your expectations and our goals. As we continuously strive to heighten service levels throughout the resort, I kindly invite you to call me directly to discuss your experience in further detail. I have sent my contact details to you separately in a private message.

Your thoughtful feedback is valued, and I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you about your experience in more detail.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We visited Pelican Hill for a week in March. Let me begin by saying that the property is amazing. The grounds are immaculately maintained and the entire area is pristinely clean. If I were giving a rating for the property alone, it would be a 5. Due to service issues, though, I had to give it a 4.

We were in a one bedroom / two bath bungalow with an ocean view. The bungalows are very large with a bedroom and very large living room area. We also had a private patio with ocean view. It had two lounge chairs and a table with umbrella and chairs. It was lovely to sit outside and enjoy the view and a drink or meal. The bungalow had two large flat screen tvs with bose sound systems. The sound systems were difficult to figure out, but then again, I am not great with such things. The bedroom and living room had sliding glass doors that allowed for a wonderful view of the ocean. The sliders in one of the rooms, however, would not close properly. The baths were large and well appointed. We loved the hotel's own bath products and bought some to bring home as souvenirs. The hotel provides turndown service with chocolates and water, which was appreciated.

The spa was wonderful! They had some awesome rates for weekday services (Monday-Thursday). I received the best massage of my life from Maria P. There is a sauna, steam room and hot tub/pool that may be used before your service. If you are a guest, you may use them for free during your stay. The eucalyptus in the steam room really helped my sinuses after a long flight. While you wait for your service, there are teas, dried fruits, nuts and an ample supply of reading material in the very relaxing room which features soft blankets and a calming water feature.

The fitness room was great, with ample equipment and very clean.

I would love to give the Pelican Hill a 5, but the service was a bit "inattentive". We were there for a week, and it seemed like the front desk staff and bell/door staff (with the exception of Tyler...who was wonderfully friendly) just didn't care about you once you checked in. When requesting a ride using the property transportation, I felt like I was imposing on the guys at the front door. No smiles, no welcome...very weird for a property of this calibur. The drivers, though, were very friendly.

We often had to wait at the Caffe Uno for a very long time just to get a coffee drink. One day, one poor girl was working there by herself and it was packed. Apparently, someone called in sick. She called for help and the executive chef came in and cleared a few tables, but then left!! There was still a long line of customers and he left her alone....meanwhile there were many employees in the lobby milling around at the check in desk who could have lent a hand to help her out and serve the customers. Not the fault of the young lady behind the counter, but it was really something that management should have picked up on immediately.

Room service seemed to take a very long time. One night, it took an hour and 15 minutes to get a meal. Also, the service at the coliseum grill was slow. There was hardly anyone there, yet the food took a very long time to come out. We wised up and if we were under any time constraints, we let them know and then we got our food a bit quicker. Again, you'd expect better service given the price you pay to stay here.

There are some restaurants that we enjoyed that I would like to share. The Beachcomber at Crystal Cove Beach had a fantastic breakfast! It is a nice walk from Pelican Hill or you can take the hotel shuttle. Breakfast served until 11:30, which we loved! We also enjoyed the Mexican restaurant called Javier's. Great food and even better people watching. Modo Mio was great for Italian. Make reservations for any of them on Open Table. There is also a Starbucks at Crystal Cove Promenade if you are a Starbucks person.

Crystal Cove has some wonderful walking/running trails. I saw many, many dolphins and what I think was a whale while I was on the beach.

We enjoyed day trips to Balboa Island and San Juan Capistrano. There is a 1:00 tour at San Juan Capistrano that only cost an extra $3, but was quite enjoyable and informative.

With a bit more attention to providing welcoming and prompt service to the guests, Pelican Hill would be a 5.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room if you can swing it!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank fortwaynemom
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience with us. While I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed Bungalow stay, The Spa and activities in the surrounding area, I understand your level of disappointment regarding service that fell short of your expectations and our goals.

I regret the unfortunate circumstances you encountered, and have taken this opportunity to discuss solutions with the managers of the areas you mentioned. As we continuously strive to heighten service levels throughout the resort, I kindly invite you to call me directly to discuss your experience further and have sent my contact details to you separately in a private message.
Your thoughtful feedback is valued, and I thank you again for providing it here. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again soon.

alpharetta, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012 via mobile

Today is our last day and I do not want to go home. This resort is incredible! The staff is great too. Our room was a bungalow that was like a studio apartment with a gas fireplace. The room also had a terrace with a view of the ocean. We had a wet bar and refrigerator. If I had a microwave and/or stove top, it would have been perfect. Believe me though, I was still able to manage. The spa- worth every penny. The restaurants- delicious. We also liked being chauffered around the property in Mercedes cars and Escalades! Pelican Hill is a place I will return to again!

Stayed March 2012
4.7 km away
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
15.3 km away
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
7.9 km away
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!