All reviews sunken marble ocean view front desk crab cooker yogurt night stay rooftop deck free breakfast checking out pier fireplace newport proximity furnishings
Reviewed August 27, 2018

We spent one night at Doryman's and had a great time. This makes for a great local stay-cation spot for a night or two or a nice place to stay if visiting the area. The rooms are all different and very nicely appointed. The location is right at the base of the pier and within walking distance to lots of restaurants and bars as well as shops around the beach area.
We had a package deal that included parking (can be a challenge if doing it on your own) and $$ towards dinner downstairs at 21 Ocean. The restaurant is excellent!
I spent lots of time in Newport as a kid and it was fun to hang out and walk the area again. We will definately stay here again.

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed August 4, 2018

This place was amazing!!! I stayed for 2 nights on vacation and can honestly say I would have loved to stay longer. I stayed in room 3 and it is beautiful. The decor and furnishing brings you back to the old days when craftsman took pride in their work. The bed so VERY comfortable and the ocean view is breathtaking. I had 2 windows that fully opened to let the ocean breeze in and the crashing waves made me completely relaxed. It does get a bit noisy at night due to the bars next door but with the windows closed at night it is not bad at all. The staff really goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome. The lady that works during the day really was wonderful to talk to and really made my day. (I completely forgot her name though). The other employee was Alyssa (Probably spelled her name wrong) and she worked the late afternoon evening (until 11pm) and I can honestly say that she made my stay here memorable. She was so kind and could tell she takes pride in her job. All in all this was by far the best experience I have had at a hotel/inn.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2018

The rooms are great and very homey. Every one of them has a view and listening to the ocean every night is the main reason I stay here. The sunken marble tub was wonderful and the free breakfast always starts the day off right. When you live in the desert this is where you want to stay. I am going again this year.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed April 29, 2018

Awesome 11 room Bed & Breakfast, with an awesome Steak & Seafood restaurant. Everything is yummy! At least 9 of the 11 rooms looks out to the Pacific Ocean and Newport Pier. Overlooks one of the nicest beaches anywhere. Great vantage points from inside the elegant lounge and on the roof. Great service.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed February 18, 2018

At first I was skeptical when booking this hotel, but when I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised at what it had to offer. My friend who dropped me off thought I had found a really great place to stay and at a fantastic price.

Park at the drop off / loading and unloading public car park lots right in front of the hotel. That would be the parking lots directly facing the bar on the ground floor of the hotel. The entrance to the hotel is not via the bar but through a small door on the other side of the building. There will be a keypad that unlocks the door, call ahead to get the pin number.

I had to walk up two flights of stairs to get to the front desk as the elevator was not working the entire time I was there. So yes, I had to lug my 25kg luggage up when checking in and then down when checking out. The staff at the counter was very friendly and helpful, even offered to help with the bags. Check in was a breeze. The keys to the room was really a regular key but with a large holder attached.

The room was very large and directly faced the ocean with unobstructed views. It was breathtaking the moment I entered the room. There is a fireplace in the room and the toilet had skylight from a dormer window. The bath was a large marble tiled up section at the end of the toilet which could comfortably accommodate more than 2 persons. The only problem was there was no lighting at the bath section. The toilet section is fine and bright.

The room and the toilet were very very nicely appointed like the turn of the century styling (I mean the early 1900's). There were 3 large windows affording lovely views of the ocean and surfers. Only problem was the proximity to the car park and walkway downstairs. In the early morning the surfers make noise when they come in early to catch the tide. In the evening the street performers take centre stage. In the late night the party goers make a real ruckus after a night of drinking. Be prepared for the noise if you get an ocean facing room.

There is a very lovely rooftop section where one can see the sunset over the Pacific Ocean. The breakfast area is also a sweet little corner with two tables. There are more tables outdoors. Breakfast is simple with bagels, cut fruit, coffee, tea and juices as well a leek quiche. Bagels and refreshments are available throughout the day.

There are many eateries around the beach, including the famous restaurant in the hotel, 21 Oceanfront. I visited the Crab Cooker and Charlie's Chili. I would definitely recommend these two places.

I really enjoyed taking the walks along the beach and the jetty, watching the sun set and how the lights would play at the beachfront buildings giving them a different look at each stage of sunset.

The only complain I would have is the air-conditioning, There is a sign which says that you can't adjust the thermostat too much otherwise the air conditioning would breakdown. This means that mornings were really cold and afternoons a little warm.

However, this is definitely one of the places I would love to visit again!

Room Tip: Room 7 is great!
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo