“Great harbor view, creative salads and a very attentive (good) waiter.”

Harborside Restaurant & Grand Ballroom
Ranked #23 of 536 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: View, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2018

Harborside is the "grande dame" restaurant overlooking tour boats, harbor boat traffic and pellicans sitting outside on the roof. The unexpected, though, is the attentive wait staff that truly caters to your wishes. We had Papaya Chicken Salad and a Turkey Avocado Sandwich and tea - which in California cost a "mere $43!" But honestly, I left a generous tip as our waiter was "spot on" with his attentiveness. I can imagine busy evenings of dining and dancing, especially large groups, in the busyness of the summer season. We were there during the fall, when the crowds were gone and the local retired folk were outside playing chess, chatting at the coffee shop and cruising around in very large boats! Not the cheapest town on earth, but down to earth and friendly throughout.

Reviewed August 28, 2018

This place was recommended to us by the cruise company down the dock. Good happy hour prices and a nice selection of bar food. we had the saloon burger, wedge salad and onion rings. all very good. decent prices. the only downside was that there was a big boat blocking our view until it took off around 6:30 ish. would love to go back and try the full dinner menu.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Fantastic waterfront scenery to view watch boating activity while you enjoy a cocktail at happy hour. Good happy hour selection of bar food bites such as calamari, mussels, Mac and cheese or a roast beef slider and more. You can also order off the full menu in the bar. Delightful server. Food ok

Reviewed August 25, 2018

My family and I went to this restaurant for a nice dinner last night. The hostess seated us at a table with a great view of the ocean. We got an unbelievably nice waiter who kept coming back to make sure everything was ok. The service was amazing as was the food. I would definitely go back to this restaurant.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

As a high school student in Southern California, my friends and I often drove to Newport Beach and Balboa Island to take in the cheesy, Coney Island ambiance that teens love so much. Fifty years later my family asked me what I wanted for my birthday and suddenly a trip to Balboa Island seemed like the perfect thing to do. So we drove from Los Angeles, following our map to a dead end street that suddenly turned into a ferry and somehow, it seemed almost magical, we were there, transported back in time to Balboa Island where we discovered the Harborside Restaurant and Grand Ballroom. What a delightful place! It is located in an old train station, ala 1906, right on the harbor, sharing space with fishing boats and grubby, salt-splattered fishing folk. We sat at a dockside window and I was in heaven, but to add to the wonderfulness, it was a Monday and to our delight it had all day Happy Hour! One daughter ordered the fish stew - cioppino - which she said was the freshest and most delicious she'd ever eaten. The rest of us stuck with coconut shrimp, fish tacos and salads. A few beers and margaritas later we left feeling giddy as we roamed around the old-time amusements and honky-tonk style bars with absolutely no desire to reenter the world of the 21st. Century. Alas, it grew dark and so we drove onto that ferry and back to reality. What a great birthday!! In fact we went back the next year and the young server remembered us. So much fun!