“First & Last visit”

Bosscat Kitchen and Libations
Ranked #77 of 536 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Dining options: After-hours
Description: This industrial-chic dining room serving elevated Southern classics stocks more than 100 whiskeys.
Reviewed December 16, 2016

We tried to go here last weekend for brunch and it was packed. Thinking that was a good sign, we went for lunch later in the week. First of all, the parking lot was packed. No valet, finding a spot took a while.
We decided to have lunch at the bar. This is a very, very noisy restaurant, even half full. When we took our stools, I was weirdly about 3" lower than my hub. I switched to the other side of him and towered over him. Turns out the heavy, metal stools were "adjustable". Not willing to stick my hand under a barstool, the friendly barman got me a stool of suitable height. Though the barstools had backs, they were metal while the other diners were seated on doctor style stools, no backs, just little round stools. Most of the people eating looked pretty uncomfortable.
There was a decent selection if draft beers and a full bar. The barman was very nice but clueless. Being our first time, we had menu questions. I could tell, he was guessing how to explain the answers. "What kind of cheese do you have?" His answer was, "light, creamy chedder, american, sorta". Hmm, ok. Are the veggies pickled in house? What kind of bread? What is the fry on the froglegs? Clueless. To add offense, they offerred a pastrami "hot brown". Hub was intrigued until the answer was "it's like in a fry pan, with gravy, like a poutine". Again, confusing.
Hub ordered the Bosscat Burger ($15 before cheese) and I got the Simple Burger. We both ordered medium and both came out well, overwell. The soft bun was doused in butter or oil, making the entire sandwich greasy. His burger was ground with bacon. It was so over salty, he wouldn't finish the second half. The $6 fries were generous, but no one told us they were big wedges. Big, oily wedges. The pickled veggies were hard as rocks with zero seasoning. Clearly, the pickles in the mix were straight from a jar, limp and bland. The biggest offense was the bizarre cheese. It was kinda shredded, kinda chopped, but definately not melted. It was completely unidentifiable. For an extra $2, i expect a selection or at least Havarti as a nice in between.
Two burgers, fries, veg, 4 drafts...$74!
We really didn't like Bosscats. Though they have a second location in Texas, it reminded me of a place a rich daddy bought for their kid. Inappropriate noise level, uncomfortable seating, unknowledgable staff and food that clearly has the markings of a chef trying to "trendy up" good old school cooking.
Clearly, they are marketing to local hipster college kids, which is okay with me, just not a place a local adult would enjoy.

Reviewed November 5, 2016

Looking for a late lunch spot close to John Wayne Airport. Picked Bosscat for a gathering spot, everyone left with a smile. Southern cooking and creative cocktail concoctions, ordered Shrimp and Grits with a Creole Manhattan; Bulleit Bourbon and a splash of Jalapeno bitters. Good Golly Miss Molly Let the Good times roll!

Our waitress was not only knowledgeable, she offered a guided tour of the Whiskey Room. Thank YOU! There's plenty on the menu to keep you coming back, can't wait to visit when they bring out the band.

Reviewed October 17, 2016 via mobile

Went during happy hour. They ask that you make reservations but we went early and they informed us that right at six they would have to kick us out... probably the only negative thing. It does get packed so just make time. The food was beyond amazing. They have an extensive whiskey list and we happen to get a waitress that was amazing and knowledgeable which I totally appreciate. Try this place even if it is just once but I will be going back.

Reviewed September 30, 2016

Ate at Bosscat based upon review and close proximity to my hotel. Cool place, decor and atmosphere. It's pretty loud inside due to all hard surfaces. If you sit on the covered area towards the outside it's not less noisy. The food is a twist on Southern dishes. The short rib dish I had was good. Not a lot of food but it had a good flavor.

I will come back next time I am in the area.

Reviewed September 21, 2016

I came with a group of friends who get together regularly to share a meal and chat. This location was picked by the host for the evening. While I am certain that there are many who would enjoy Bosscat with its lively and loud vibe, it really is not my taste. It was not bad, just not my taste. Our server did a fine job, food came out quickly and the bar has a good variety for selection. My issue first was noise level. We asked for a quite table and they accommodated us with a patio table, which was clearly much less noisy than other spots in the restaurant, but I would not classify the location as one where you can come for an evening of conversation. The quality of the food was good, but everything laden with sauces and calories. I didn't find any subtlety, or innovation in the preparation.The one thing that was surely worth the calories was the red velvet churros. I had a bite something you order for the table not for an individual. Self parking is available in the lot. the restaurant is located behind the lot and signage isn't great so it is a bit tough to find.