“Vastly overrated, poor service”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Vastly overrated, poor service”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

With a AAA 4-diamond rating, I expected this to be a top-notch hotel, and I was very disappointed. Despite being located in an office park near the John Wayne / Orange County airport, the property had a mandatory $28 valet parking charge, and the service was terrible (15-minute wait for your car every time you want to leave). The $14 upcharge for Internet access is a pet peeve of mine, as most hotels provide it for free, but at least the bandwidth was good. The front desk staff was not helpful during check-in and didn't deliver a copy of my statement to my room, making me stop at the desk to check out in the morning. I was also awakened at 3 am by banging doors and loud conversations outside my room, making me feel like I was staying at a Motel 6. The only saving graces were that the room itself was nicely appointed and the bedding and pillows were among the best I've had at hotels.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Rams1994

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Korean first
Seattle
Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you are staying at the airport, go for it. If not, you should seriously consider other options. Be aware that the walls are paper thin so you will hear everything in the adjacent rooms. Parking is valet only. We didn't think this was up to Fairmont standards.

If you aren't a member of the Fairmont President's Club, enroll before arriving. Otherwise you'll be charged for internet access.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChipOffTheBlock
pasadena, california, USA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

First if all, using another travel website, I scored a King sized room for $99.00 a night including taxes.(so I am very satisfied with my purchase.) When we checked in, we were notified that the valet for Sat. night would be 1/2 price(14 instead of 28) I think 14 is more in line for this hotel.Check-in on a Sat. afternoon at 3 was long, and many people were dissatisfied because their rooms were not ready. Ours was, and our check-in was pleasant and nice. I agree that the location of this hotel is more appropriate for people using the OC airport, or doing business in the local business park. The hotel is a solid 10-15 minute drive down to the beach in either Newport or Corona Del Mar. The hotel by my way of thinking is just a very nice business hotel, and if people want a more "vacation" feel for a beach get-away, perhaps they should look for a hotel at the beach or on the Newport Back-bay. I thought the hotel's exercise room was nice. I thought the dining room was uninspired in both ambiance and food menu and preparation. It had the feel of a large business hotel. Our bed was "soft" and rather lumpy, but very clean and nicely outfitted. They charge $14.00 a day for internet which I disagree with--many 2 and 3 star hotels give free internet. So, I would definitely return if I got the room for another great value like I did last Sat. night, but if I had to spend closer to $200. I would definitely choose another hotel for that beach weekend.

Room Tip: Assigned room 430, quiet location., no view, overlooked a large roof could hear airplanes
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is not a beach destination-Great for an overnight business airport stay. We thought we would get a good beach location and Priceline put us in the airport hotel-careful when you select the deal hotel, it can be disappointing. Almost everything went wrong-vallet parking frustrating $$$, ceiling leaked, locked out of bathroom, lights did not work, short sheeted the beds, fictures were not 4 star. I liked the marble bathroom and the cheery yellow hallways, and the lovely hallway carpets. The layout of the hotel was not inviting. Good buisness hotel for a airport stay-NOT for vacation at all. Nothing is in good walking distance. Had to cross a huge road to get to the standard stuff-Jamba Juice and Starbucks. We went to the beach area and cried we were not there.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a reduction in the cost of vallet parking. We were under the run way in the morn...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Burbank
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed here recently and I came away with a few impressions:
Good:
Valet service was fast and really helpful providing directions and suggestions.
Great customer service at the front desk / hotel phone.
The lobby / bar area are nicely furnished and definitely a step up from a typical hotel.
The pool area was a great spot to lounge and enjoy a drink.

Not so good:
The standard King room is a hair on the small side.
Sound insulation is very poor, I could hear people in the hallway and the next room as if there weren't walls. I think I could even hear through the bathroom vents?..felt kinda weird..
The AC/Heater in the room has a loud fan...got kinda annoying after a while

Overall: Great customer service made up for some of the quirks of the room.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This was a decent hotel for a week stay with the family. The executive king suite that we stayed in was nice with a very big bathroom spacious with plenty of room. Staff were excellent, very friendly and very helpful.

The hotel is very close to John Wayne airport and it's kind of in the business park so if you're looking for a resort hotel this wouldn't be the one for you however being a business hotel it's well serviced and efficient. Again being a business hotel although we were there during spring break, the pool area was never too crowded and we could always find loungers and plenty of room in the pool the only complaint is the pool was cold and never seemed to heat up at any stage and I mean very very cold!

However on balance this is a good hotel and we enjoyed our time there. It had easy access to wherever we wanted to go wherever we wanted to go to; the beach, Balboa Island or Huntington or anywhere else in Orange County - it was very convenient.

Agree that the valet parking is a little bit on the the expensive side but as for Internet access if you join the Fairmont presidents club you get that for free anyway.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Room was okay -- I guess based on the reviews and hype I was expecting more. If my expectations had been a Hampton, I would have been delighted.

The service was okay. Most noteworthy were room service and housekeeping who were professional, helpful and friendly.

Lots of extra charges -- even an extra fee for internet on top of an already high priced room. (If I had been at the Hampton, it would have been free.)

I did not feel spoiled. But it was clean and safe.

I found the bed uncomfortable - but I must say that one of my business partners mentioned how comfortable he found his bed. So either it was a difference in tastes or in rooms.

No desire to come back. But if you need a place to stay in Newport you would be okay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business