“STAY AWAY....dishonest!!!!”
Review of Sierra Sky Ranch

Sierra Sky Ranch
Ranked #5 of 10 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Spent 3 nignt at the Ranch, and booked 2 rooms, one for my husband, myself and 2 teenage daughters, the other one for my brother and his 10 years old son.
The ranch is charming, very basic, the hallway off the main building to our rooms was very "smelly", rooms small and simple, with a porch and chairs, so the guest can smoke outside, and enjoy a glass of wine.So far, so good.
We are world travelers, non smokers, non drinkers, and I work for a major airline...My brother was visiting from Europe.
We love the outdoors and hiking.
The next day, after our arrival. after hiking all day, and at 10Pm, we discovered neither rooms had been cleaned. The night clerk checked and told me, they had "forgotten" to clean, and there was no"do not disturb " signs on the door ( we always exited from the porch door. I let it go.
During the night, guests were drinking , smoking and talking loudly under the porch...at 2:00am. Once again , I did not complain.
We checked out....upon our return, I noticed a $100.00 charge on my visa. I called right away, spoke to Jackie, and was told, this charge was "a cleaning/dry cleaning charge for smoking in our room. I assured her, we are none smokers, so this was not an issue. She told me, she would discuss it w/the manager and call me back.
Of course, no one called me back, so I called back and spoke to JAckie again. She told me, the housekeepers had told her, our room stank of smoke ( we checked out at 9am), and she, Jackie could verify this fact. I was very polite, and told her again, we are non smokers, and why did the cleaners bring it up on the last day!!!after our departure.
Basically I was told, we had to pay for the bedspread drycleaning, because of the smell.
I wrote an email to let them know, I intended to write this negative review. They did not respond.

I consider management to be very sleazy. We paid $155.00/night without breakfast.
Believe me, Best Western, Days Inn etc....offer free breakfast, and are located in tow. Whenever we had to have dinner, we had to drive back to town, and they are less pricey.

We have NEVER smoked, and I feel very insulted!
The ranch also harbor all the crews/road workers for Granite construction, who come and go w/their trucks 24hrs/day, smoke and drink , sleep at the Motel.

We like Rustic, but at the end of the day, after a good day hiking, a comfortable bed, a restaurant nearby, a good shower, breakfast, and good room insulation, is all we need.

Please trust my opinion/judgement. I stay in a lot of hotels, all over, and this is THE FIRST TIME, I write a NEGATIVE review.

Sincerely

Odile CAntor

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank skyfrog
SallyC133, Owner at Sierra Sky Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2010

Customer sent email on Thursday, 8/5/10. Owners were out of town and did not view email until Friday evening. Immediately sent email back to customer that we would research and respond. After having a chance to speak with all staff involved we credited card on Monday morning and sent email with our apologies.

Reviewed 8 March 2010

We stayed at Sierra Sky Ranch with a group of friends and had a relaxing and perfect weekend. The Ranch is almost like being home. It is comfortable, has all the amenities (internet), and is owned by people who clearly want you to have a great time. The restaurant has a new menu, and the bar serves the best G and T's ever! We had delicious food...lasagna...steaks...and the best "Organic Carro Basil Bisque" ever! We plan on coming back whenever we can. The hotel is filled with all kinds of history. If you are looking for a sterile corporate environment, this is NOT the place. Instead, you will find a personal and comfortable place with artistic touches in every room. Stay at Sierra Sky Ranch!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2010

My husband and our 2 children ages 8 & 11 stayed at Sierra Sky for a wedding that was taking place at the "resort". The first morning we awoke to a steady stream of water pouring from the ceiling above us. The owner Todd told us that he would comp our night's stay and put us up, at his cost, in a hotel down the road so that we could stay for the wedding. We agreed. Next month the credit card statement arrrived with charges for the "comped" room plus charges for the other hotel. All charges were unauthorized. I contacted Chase card services regarding the charges and they attempted to call Todd at Sierra Sky. Not one phone call or message was returned. While sitting at the bar in the adjoining restaurant we onserved the barternder, who stated he was a volunteer police officer, serve alchoholic beverages to a minor. Not once did he ask any of the young people consuming alcohol for ID. The State Dept of ABC hopefully has responded to the report I filed shortly after our stay. The pool was filthy green, the lawn unmowed and the rooms that were detached from the main bldg were small, dark & dirty.The staff was unresponsive and could have cared less.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SMCALItraveler

We do not have a record of this event happening at our hotel. We have not had to move a guest during a wedding. We have not had water pour from our ceiling. We have not been contacted by Chase or our merchant provider regarding an unauthorized charge. Our bartender because of his relationship with the police force would not serve to minors. We have not received a query from the ABC. We do not find any validity to this review. Our goal is to develop and maintain permanent relationships with our customers by providing outstanding service. However, in the event of a problem, we do whatever is necessary to make things right…right away.

Reviewed 29 December 2009

OK, You've read the other reviews, as a family who has visited Sierra Sky Ranch many times over the past couple of years here's our scoop.

First off, Sierra Sky Ranch is original and rustic. If you're looking for the slower pace, authentic feel of the area, in a very comfortable "we want to you feel like this is your second home" environment, Sierra Sky Ranch will fit the bill. Sierra Sky Ranch does not have the gray uniformity of the big chains. It is NOT HoJo. It's unique, historic and a bit quirky. Be prepared for that, it's part of the fun. (Yes there ARE TV's and free wireless in the rooms.)

We've always had really good luck with the staff. They bend over backwards to make us feel at home. The rooms/bathrooms have been under continual improvement over the past couple of years. They added Air Conditioning recently. If you talk to the owners they'll give you a tour and point out what has been improved...

Most of the rooms are set up for couples, but we've also had nice family-sized rooms too. We've stayed in the main house and in the bunk house. Although with our kids we find the additional space (and separation from "real people" who might object to young children) in the bunk house to our liking. The main house rooms are great for two or three people, but we find them "tight" for the four of us.

You need to talk with the staff and let them know what you're looking for. Want an old-fashioned tub? Sure. Shower? etc...

Almost all of the rooms open out onto common porches. Again, it's a "what are YOU" expecting sort of thing. Our family are "people people" and like visiting with folks. We like to sit on the porch, view the grounds and "chew the fat" or just sip wine. If you're used to a small, private balcony it will be a different experience.

The Sky Ranch is outside of town in a quiet, semi-rural, environment. Lots of green fields and trees. It has a creek winding along two sides of the property. The kids (and other folks pets) love playing on the front grass. There is a stream/fountain on one side of the bunk house and a small pond near the main desk. The owners usually decorate for all major holidays. (Halloween and Christmas are big). There is a chicken/duck/rabbit coop off of the far end of the hotel, so kids can play with the animals. There are also several "hotel cats" that are varying degrees of friendly. While we haven't stayed with major pets, they ARE pet friendly.

The restaurant is GREAT. The owners lured a chef away from one of the other bigger establishments in the area about two years ago and she does really nice work. The steaks are a high point (as you would expect from a rustic establishment.) Big salads, wonderful twice-baked potatoes, and they have a "brownie" dessert... well... just bring two or three people... We always walk out stuffed. The restaurant hours/days vary with the season, so again, talking with the staff ahead of time is a good idea. There is a rustic "mountain house" restaurant/diner about 5 minutes away. Good Mexican, Diner, Pizza, Italian and Japanese food are available in town about 10 minutes away.

The ranch is purported to be haunted. We've been there several times when "paranormal investigators" have been visiting. Three out of the four of us have had... out of the normal experiences... there. Nothing scary, but things that make you think "did I really just experience that?"

We like the relaxed, friendly, slow pace of Sierra Sky Ranch the best (although my daughter likes the "haunted" part.) Other than "going home," we probably like the variability in bookings the least. During high season, the Ranch can be booked full up, so we can't get in :-( but during the week, in off-season, we've been the only family in the place a couple of times.

We have no relationship to the management or financial interest in Sierra Sky Ranch; however, it is our family's favorite place to "get away" for a couple of days.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2009

An oasis in the desert.
Ted the owner greeted us on our arrival, everything was lovely, rooms
beautifully restored, and a fab coffee machine to use whenever.
The restaurant was amazing, food was to die for.
We had a group BBQ which was lovely and we had smors you must try these.
We even had a complimentry breakfast as we were off and out so early which was an unexpected treat.
If you want to see yusemite park this a great place to stay

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We chose this place because it was near Yosemite, midway between my home and my friend's home, and it allows dogs. We got the great winter rate by starting our stay on a Thursday night. The place is old and being lovingly restored, keeping the rustic but classy theme. Rooms are small and cozy, but they have a few suites for a those needing more room. It has a very interesting history and is a beautiful area. The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. The restaurant, open weekends, is upscale and reasonable- great food! We were able to relax, go down to the scenic creek next door, and enjoy the quiet.

Note: If you are a believer, this place is reputed to be haunted. We had our own experiences to validate it; nothing scary if you know not be to afraid. Just interesting. It is a short drive to an entrance to Yosemite, but an hour drive to the actual scenic valley. There are USFS hiking trails and giant sequoias nearby if you don't want to go far. We plan on going back this spring.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights as part of the tour to Yosemite National Park. We didn't expect much for this hotel because it said Ranch but where do I start --- we were a big group tour so all rooms in the ranch has been taken by our group ---- no other guest stay in this period anyway we were given double room # 15 which was very small for European standard veri limited space to put our suitcases --- very dark inside the room for bathroom is OK size clean but again little space to put our bathroom amenities we have to put on the floor which was not great anyway after 1 hour in the room we felt the our air-condition was not working because it was so hot then I went to the reception and let them know --- she came to our room and press on the temperature control and said it should be working when we come back from dinner --- our first night we had dinner in the hotel restaurant looks very country style but that was not our problem food was not so great I had Pork Chop it's look ok except they put some berries sauce on the top and I didn't like the sauce at all my wife had chicken steak with mashed potato again they put gravy sauce on top but not usual British Gravy sauce it taste likes creamy mushroom soup so both af us left almost everything on the plates, we ordered soup for starters it was so salty overall not enjoyed at all ---- After horrible dinner we look forward to have a good sleep in our room ---- air-con still not working and so hot I have to contact reception again same lady she came to our room and press the same control and she said it was not working and we have 2 options whether we will stay in our room but open the door and windows to let cool air come in or wait for the staff who mabe can check what's wrong with our air-con but she said not guarantee that he can fix it she said he won't be here until 23:00 (at time was 22:00) anyway I said to her NO WAY we will sleep with the door open and I said does she have another room to move the answer is NO so only 1 option left is wait for the guy to come at 23:00 ---- after we travelled 11 hours from Las Vegas we just want to rest ---- we told our tour manager about the problem 20 minutes later surprise surprise 1 vacant room become available and we decided to move but it was 2 doubled beds and much smaller than our first room at that stage you just want to sleep --- we already unpacked in the first room so we have to repacked and move to the new room by ourselves at 22:45 so that was the story on the first night ---- on our second evening they offered BBQ dinner with entertainment sound good so almost everyone in our group booked this BBQ for the second night OH DEAR !! food on the buffet very warm grilled chicken and under cooked beef, mashed potato was only side dish but it was not going well with grilled Chicken & beef -- no other fresh vegetable anyway make the story short POOR POOR POOR Value and quality --- entertainment was so poor not what we expected. This Ranch only provided dinner in the restaurant but as we were a big group they provided complimentary continental breakfast which we were very much appreciated until we see their breakfast and we were shocked with quality of food we knew that was complimentary but we prefer to pay and being serve better quality of food --- orange juice was like dishwater everyone in our group said the same thing they only provided melon for fresh fruit and hard boiled egg which was not everyone taste. Overall horrible stay --- well below standard required and WON'T BE BACK.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BLUEWONDER1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
4.8 km away
8.7 km away
The Pines Resort
The Pines Resort
#1 of 1 in Bass Lake

Been to Sierra Sky Ranch? Share your experiences!