“Outstanding - What an Awesome Experience”
Review of Perle Wine Bar

Perle Wine Bar
Ranked #362 of 1,368 Restaurants in Oakland
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Due to work travel, I've been very fortunate to eat at some great restaurants, both here and in places like New York, Tokyo, Paris and London. While there is a great food renaissance happening in Oakland, this place is a real gem. why?

Great food
Awesome local service
Nice people that really care about your meal
Excellent cocktails
One of the best dessert pot a creme I’ve had for a while

Montclair historically has been a bit sleepy, but Kakui, Daughter Thai and now Perle have established 3 excellent places to eat.

Reviewed March 25, 2018

A friend of mine and I made reservations at Perle for brunch and found a lovely bistro restaurant with mostly high points and only a few small low points.

I arrived early on a chilly morning. Although their door was open, I was told I'd have to wait outside as they weren't yet set up. When a group of four arrived a couple minutes later and found the door unlocked, they were told they could go right in. Needless to say, so did I.

Once inside, I found a lovely, tastefully decorated environment. It's restful on the eye, with tables well spaced so that conversation is easy.

The first table at which I sat was uneven but they immediately shimmed it so it was stable. However, I realized we would be sitting next to where the staff would always be coming to get menus and greet people. I asked to be moved. The staff was very accommodating. The second table was also by the door; my fault for not realizing how chilly it would be, so we asked to be moved again. I suggested a table and a rather surly waiter muttered: "It's reserved." The gentleman I assumed to be the maître d' quickly stepped in, selected a table for us and the Chef assured me at this table he could keep an eye on us.

Speaking of the chef; Chef Robert Lam was the head chef at Butterfly and now I know why Butterfly was so popular and successful. We both ordered the Croque Madam - Duck Rillette, Jambon, Bacon, Eggs, Field Greens, Pommes Darphin - and it was delicious, with the greens perfectly dressed, and just the right amount of sauce. I admit to being a salt addict so was concerned when I realized the tables are without salt and pepper shakers. Not to worry. The dish was seasoned just right. Thank you, Chef.

Two other small points; the orange juice is blood orange, which is wonderful, but it is served over ice which dilutes the flavour, and surly waiter was annoyed when my friend asked to have hers without the ice. Surly waiter was also negligent about watching my friend's coffee cup. We had to ask twice for it to be refilled, and then he only filled it half-way.

At the end of the meal, I did walk over to compliment and thank Chef Lam. He shook my hand, and was appreciative of the compliment.

Overall, Perle is a restaurant to which I would return to try more of Chef Lam's delicious food. I'll just hope for a different waiter, but perhaps he was just having an off day. It happens to us all.

Reviewed March 16, 2018

On our $222.00 food charge we added a $36.00 tip, which the waiter changed to $240.00! After agreeing to credit us the difference, the restaurant owner reneged on his promise because it was the waiter's last day. The owner is now insisting the $240.00 tip is correct. Very dishonest business!

Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Highly touted, very good but ultimately only one (salmon toast appetizer) was memorable. Salads excellent, cooked vegetables did not pop, nothing special about the chicken or burger (our main courses). Setting nice, noise levels low, service efficient and attentive. Wine consumed beforehand, can’t comment. Three of us were in the middle of 3-4 stars on rating but given price for value it’s 3. Fine dining options limited in Montclair...I would go back but it’s not a destination restaurant for me.

Reviewed March 3, 2018

I had a nice dinner with a friend at Perle. The roasted chicken (poulet roti) is delicious. The pasta with clams was the favorite of my friend. We also enjoyed the Brussels Sprouts. They have a fine wine list and many of the wines were French. I personally prefer California wines and want to support our local wineries. it is ok sometime to go international. A nice place with very good service and a warm atmosphere.