“Great Location with Seafood to Delight”

The Lake Chalet Seafood Bar & Grill
Ranked #39 of 1,328 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 17th St.
Transit: The Lake Merritt Bart station is 6 blocks away. 14th St & Oak St - (0.17 miles) — AC Transit #13 Jackson St & 17th St - (0.21 miles) — AC Transit #59
Reviewed 16 December 2017

The Lake Chalet Seafood Bar and Grill is a very large restaurant capable of handling large groups, so keep that in mind, especially during the Holiday Season when many groups are planning parties. It can get crowded and reservations may prove problematic. Fortunately the manager was able to squeeze our party of four in for a last minute reservation. The Lunch and Dinner menu are the same and the focus is on seafood. You can also opt for sandwiches or the small plates. We went for the dinner entrees and were delighted with the King Salmon and the Petrale Sole. The Grand Seafood Linguini was also a hit. With the crowds on a Friday evening, the service was a bit slow, so be careful if you must be in a hurry. All in all this is a delightful location and you can have a most enjoyable meal.

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Top of the game, friends and loved ones! Did Lake chalet today because a friend recommended this place, lol, nice ambiance and service but the food was served cold, wow, I should have had a salad! I order the sauté spinach, crab cakes, wings and lobster Mac and cheese lol the Mac and cheese was good! We had to send the food back and we got hot plates after! The wine was great red and the manager came over to apologize but I lost my appetite it’s was time to go no more lake chalet for me!

Your truly,
A foodie at heart ♥️ safe travels

Reviewed 5 December 2017

A lovely setting overlooking Lake Merritt, a somewhat average fare as far as food is concerned. The crab cakes could have had better spices in them and the fish tacos were OK. My friend told me the chowder was good.

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

Upon several recommendations from fellow foodie Amtrak workers, I explored this storied restaurant on the lake.

Arriving in time for the wanting happy hour menu, I ordered a beverage of choice (martini) at an equally choice price ($6). Nice!

The array of oysters offered we're too tempting to select from, so the half dozen I ordered were selected from Marin (sweet and petite), Draker's Bay (my favorite for bright oceanic flavor), Washington State and BC. All lent the ocean essence and need not be marred by the accoutrements.

I was pleased that I saved the vinegar based oyster enhancement for the terrific Caesar salad. Only idiots overdress a Caesar with mayo to compensate for the lack of anchovies. Not here. White anchovies are finely ground - a visually imperceptable but utterly necessary component to a true Caesar.

Pinot Gris is not widely available in the Midwest. Lauren, the technical genius bartender, guided me through tasting two very different Gris. Thank you for that selection which was an impeccable compliment to my difficult choice between two seafood choices that beckoned:. I opted for a ceviche served with some chips that allowed me to be a happy mess as they broke in the lime/tomato based marinade.

You can read about the upstairs dining room, the extension to the complex across an outdoor entry, and the famed outdoor patio overlooking the lake elsewhere.

Just go.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

I really love all the outdoor seating and that patrons can bring their dogs. Service and drinks were pretty good, food just ok. The crab cakes were good, but the food is mostly overpriced.