“Ok food but great value”

Bay Fung Tong Seafood Tea House
Ranked #178 of 1,368 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed February 7, 2016

We had a table of 12 and decided to place two orders of one of their set menus. What came out was a big bowl of soup, crab, pork chops, walnut shrimp, crispy chicken, pork belly, clams, vegetables, and dessert. I probably left out a dish or two. The food was ok while the value was very good. A couple of minuses included the walnut shrimp, which had small pieces of shrimp and not enough walnuts, the pork belly was extremely fatty with very little lean meat, and the tapioca dessert was flavorless. Other than that, don't expect much in service. We had ordered 6 bowls of rice but they decided to charge us for more than 6 bowls so check your bill.

Reviewed January 6, 2016

we had another excuse to enjoy one of BFT's set menus for our gathering of ten for a mid-week dinner. by 6:30pm the place was full. we enjoyed the quail, lobsters cooked in 2 different ways (since fresh crab is not reasonably available), chinese fried chicken, a superb cubed beef with basil dish and several other offerings as well. the only disappointment at this visit was the steamed fish which lacked any flavor. we will continue to enjoy our visits to BFT.

Reviewed December 17, 2015

We always seem to enjoy our meals at Bay Fung Tong. we like the fried Calamari the seafood is always fresh. Too bad we can't get local crab as they always prepare it nicely

Reviewed September 3, 2015

We headed into Bay Fung Tong at dinnertime because we found a parking spot nearby, and we were headed to an event a few blocks away. We were DELIGHTED by the no frills, old-fashioned atmosphere of this very busy, noisy place. It might not be a great place to go for dinner if you want to be surrounded by quiet! However, I would love to go there with a crowd which seems to be the usual thing to do. I adored the honey walnut prawns! We loved looking at all of the food as it emerged from the kitchen! The house special won ton soup with sea food is also out of this world. Service is great, as are the prices.

Reviewed March 31, 2015

Location: This place is not hard to miss, but finding parking may be difficult. Street parking only.

Customer Service: We were seated right away surprisingly regardless of how crazy packed it was! Plus, they took our order right away and the food didn't come super fast but we didn't have to wait too much longer either.

Decor: This place is big! Surprisingly when you actually enter the restaurant there's tons of tables everywhere. No fancy décor though.

Presentation of Food: A la carte styl/family style. The way they presented the lobster noodles though was pretty cool, it looked like the lobster was swimming between the noodles, you can see in my picture lol.

How did the food taste?: We ordered the lobster noodles; the lobster was very good but the noodles were a bit tasteless, I added the chili sauce which made it better. The walnut shrimp; what I can say is that they give you big portions unlike other Chinese restaurants that I've been to in Oakland so this was a plus BUT I don't know the flavor for me was just eh. The shrimp were on the firm side and maybe it's bad of me to say this but I wanted more of that sweet mayo sauce on there! Lol (fatty I know). The peking spareribs were good, I think we should have chose the walnut shrimp or the peking spareribs one or the other versus ordering them both for this dinner. They both were sweet and we were missing that spicy or salty factor. At the end they give you sweet bean soup for dessert which topped off the dinner!

Overall Experience: I need to come here one more time to see how I really feel about the food.

Would I Come Back?: ^^^^

Been to Bay Fung Tong Seafood Tea House? Share your experiences!