“Go to the Cafe”

Oliveto Cafe and Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Oliveto Cafe and Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,438 Restaurants in Oakland
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shafter
Transit: Rockridge BART stop is across the street
Reviewed September 30, 2018

We stop at the cafe for drinks and a light dinner. It's very pleasant and the quality is good. The restaurant upstairs is way too expensive and not all that.

Reviewed September 25, 2018

We ate upstairs last time at Oliveto's and were really disappointed with both food and the service (complete lack of interest by the server).
We absolutely love this area and wanted a quick bite as we were going to shop at the Market Hall ( A must destination ! ) which is next door to Oliveto's, so we decided to try the more informal downstairs restaurant. Nice comfortable atmosphere, but again lacking in service. Ordered a 1/2 & 1/2 soup and sandwich. Soup was great, sandwich had a red relish that absolutely soaked through the bread and all over my hands when I picked it up. The sandwich was mostly relish !
Can't wait to go to Market Hall again, Oliveto's, not so much !!!

1  Thank josephdM6253VN
Reviewed September 12, 2018

The menu changes daily. For an appetizer, I ordered the Shrimp on Black Pasta (Spaghetti neri with Georgia white shrimp, tomato, Calabrian chili, garlic, and lemon) which was superb - very flavorful. The main course was equally good as was everything else that others in our party ordered. The service was very good and ambiance was excellent. The music did not interfere with our conversations. I was told the day after we dined that the sound system upstairs was specially designed to facilitate conversation. My regret is that we were in the SF Bay area for only one night so that we could not return on this trip.
CAVEATS: 1.The upstairs restaurant is on the second floor and is very quiet, but its downstairs Cafe is noisy and raucous. 2. HANDICAP ACCESSIBLE -The stairs to the second floor do not look easy not easy, but there is an elevator which you have to request.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed September 2, 2018

Visiting our old neighborhood and revisited an old favorite,twice. Oakland is exploding with new and wonderful restaurants, this is still terrific. Right across the street from the BART Rockridge station, very convenient, part of Market Hall a foodies delight..

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

I went back to this stalwart of East Bay, dining at the suggestion of my date. I hadn't been back in years, due to poor service and being rushed through our meal to get the next seating in during a birthday dinner.

My dinner was quite good. My date's was not edible, as the meat was beyond 'chewy.'
When she brought it to the wait staff's attention, she was offered, and chose a different entree. By the time it arrived I had finished my meal. The second time, her meal was well prepared.
There was not much in the way of an apology or an offer of a comp desert or coffee.. Our waitress was not around much to see how the meal and our needs were. Not good for the cost of the experience.

On a plus note: the Meyer's sound system was great! One could actually have an audible conversation and hear the background tunes.

Date of visit: August 2018