“Lovely, charming and warm”
Review of Marica - CLOSED

Marica
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2018

What a completely lovely little find!

Our party of 3 found itself in search of a place to eat on a Saturday evening. I ducked into Marcia with the wildly optimistic idea that such a charming, warm little joint would be able to seat us, without a reservation, prime time. Astonishingly, they could! We grabbed a quick glass of wine at the wine bar across the street while we waited for a scant 20 minutes.

Our meal was very good. The reasonably priced food was well prepared and presented and delicious. I had a wonderfully flakey Jack steak and my partner was quite pleased with her Bouillabaisse. The cocktails were good (the have a nice Last Word) and the wine list reasonable.

The thing that made the evening a pure delight, though, was the service. We were treated like members of the family. At one point we wondered aloud about one of the salads and decided not to order it. Our waitress showed up at the table a few minutes later with a pixie grin and a complementary serving of said salad.

I hate to gush and I hate to think that if this place gets what it deserves, I will never get a seat, unannounced, on a Saturday night, ever again. Honestly, though, it is just great.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank Blake M

Reviewed January 9, 2018

Great place to have dinner. Food is excellent -- and they added an order of mussels in honor of my birthday. A little uneven in table service, but the place was packed. I'd definitely go back.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed January 8, 2018

Marica has not been around for 40 years, but I've been eating the owner's (Christopher) food for that long. Long ago he was near the Claremont Hotel as part of the old VerBrugge's Fish Market, then he ventured to have his own namesake restaurants on Solano and in S.F. I would follow this chef everywhere (as I have done!). The seared scallops with risotto, salmon with mashed potatoes prix fix dinner and raw oysters to start were wonderful. Restaurant was busy this past Friday nite so I'm glad I made reservations. Tables are quite near the other tables, so it is an "intimate" dining experience. Service was top notch.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Roberta Y
Reviewed December 17, 2017

Small restaurant. Very busy! Sign of an excellent place to eat. We went on a Sunday evening for dinner. Very pleased with the food and service. I had the scallops with risotto. Traveling from out of town. Oakland and San Francisco never disappoint for food! Marica's is not only an excellent meal but very reasonably priced especially for the Bay Area! Service was also great! Recommend to try on your next trip in the area!

Date of visit: November 2017
1  Thank Cindy O
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

Small cozy restaurant with excellent and fast service. Food came out quickly and the flavors from the scallop/risotto dish and seafood stew knocked our socks off. The German dark chocolate soufflé was flavorful albeit a bit liquidy. The Caesar salad was good as well. Total bill with a drink was $108 cash/$122 credit without tip. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: November 2017