Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Booked online for a very cheap price because I paid in advance and got a non-refundable rate. Called the hotel from the rental car center and they had a shuttle there within 10 minutes to get me.

Check in was fast and room was cozy. Very noisy outside of my room about 4 am, sounded like a garbage truck making its rounds or something.

Checked out early in the morning for my flight out of Oakland Airport. The shuttle took me over to the airport and it was free to use both times I used it. The only thing I paid for was the tip for the driver.

All in all I was at the hotel for less than 12 hours as it was just a place to sleep from the time the rental car was dropped off until my flight the next day. No issues and I would stay again if I ever needed to stay at the airport again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Reviewed 26 January 2012

I was stranded at OAK, promptly called the front desk and quoted me a price for $70 for the night. The gentleman directed me toward the shuttle service and I found myself in the lobby of the hotel in 10 minutes. After a few minutes of waiting for those ahead of me I was asked the the clerk Alvin if I was the one who called earlier. He proceeded to process me through the regular hotel protocol in timely and professional manner. I had a few questions which he proceeded to answer throughly.

Hotel room wreaked of convenience, I was placed on the sixth floor and had a great view of the outlying area of Oakland. The amenities were great, bathroom was clean, and so was the bed. Asked for a wake up call which I received at 7:00 AM sharp. Checkout was a synch and the shuttle was more than adequate (once again).

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room toward the back of Hegenberger Road (main road), as the...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at the Red Lion Hotel because we were only in for the day to watch a football game and it was near the Oakland Airport, which would make it easier to catch our 6:00 am flight versus staying in the city. Convenience wise, the “hotel” was very close to the airport and provided an airport shuttle but as far as service and amenities go, the hotel was pretty much a glorified motel. We also felt as though we were being nickel and dimed on a couple things.

Granted we arrived early Sunday morning and requested an early check-in, but even though there was plenty of availability, we were still charged a $50 early arrival fee. We paid it just to be able to take a couple hour nap before heading into the city. The hotel had a shuttle to the BART….. but that was also an additional $5 per person. Something that wasn’t mentioned anywhere in advance. I asked about the $5 BART shuttle fee when checking out and got three different answers from three different people?!? Courtesy and service from the front desk could use some improvement.

The hallway getting off the elevator had a musky smell to it but the hotel rooms were fine. Clean but small. The bed wasn’t the most comfortable but it worked for just being there for one night. The water pressure in the shower was good but again, the bathroom and sink area was small. All in all, the hotel is fine if you don’t mind a “motel” and are just in-and-out.

The Red Lion did have a restaurant with a bar in it, but we didn’t experience it. I do wish they would have been open or provide room service upon our 10:00pm return to the hotel. It would have been convenient because we were starving and too exhausted to go out.

For those that need to stay in Oakland longer than a day, I would personally recommend paying more for the Hilton just a couple blocks away. We stayed there earlier in the season when we had to catch another 6:00am flight, and had probably one of the best night’s rest in a while because the beds were so comfortable. They also had a complimentary shuttle to the airport and BART.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank JJandAdice
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Booked in advance for two adults three kids. the website said two queen beds, rollaways available. Found our room, the beds might meet the minimum requirememts to be queen sized, but were smaller than tje queen sized beds at Motel 6 and Circus Circus. Called the front desk 5 times to get rollaway, no one answered, called room service, was told they would have the front desk call us, 15 minutes later, had to walk to the lobby, asked for rollaway, was told it wouldn't fit in the room. Asked for just a mattress, was told no, asked for 5 pillows and 2 blankets so we could make a bed on the floor, at least. After 15 minutes, tried the phone again, 6 calls 0 answers, went to the front and repeated my request, waited 5 min, got one blanket. I asked the delivery guy for 5 pillows, one blanket, he was rude and didn' t want to accommodate me, 10 minutes later, got two pillows and a mattress pad, not a blanket, was a cold, uncomfortable LAST EVER night in this "hotel" To top it all, the free wifi didn' t work in my room. I won't be back and neither should anyone wanting reasonable hotel accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank gcameron169
Reviewed 19 October 2011

All in all, this hotel was as safe as any in Oakland could be, great location next to the airport and near the stadium, perfectly clean, great shuttle service, great price, and friendly and helpful staff. While your opinion may vary, I was impressed. A great layover hotel, and a great game-day hotel.

Because of airline scheduling problems and unavailability of or destination accommodations in San Francisco, I was forced to layover one night in Oakland. I wasn't willing to pay the high prices of downtown San Francisco hotels to sleep for a few hours. Usually layover accommodations only need meet minimum standards. Travel had been difficult and I wasn't expecting much, especially after reading other reviews. When I got to Oakland and collected my bags, I called the Red Lion for their (free) courtesy shuttle. By the time I walked to the shuttle pickup, the shuttle was there waiting for me. Pleasant surprise number one.

At the front desk was a very charming and pleasant Virginia, mentioned negatively in another review. She was a delight to chat with, very welcoming and offered to help in any way. Pleasant surprise number two.

I got to my room and it was an immaculate, spacious, well-appointed room with a comfortable king bed, desk, WiFi, etc. Pleasant surprise number three.

I unpacked, and went to sleep and slept soundly... none of the disturbances so common in layover hotels. There just wasn't any noise. Pleasant surprise number four.

Because the hotel had been so quiet the night before, I was expecting it to be empty. It was full to capacity. There was an Oakland Raiders game on Sunday so by all rights, the hotel should have been full of drunken partiers. For some reason, it was not, or at least I did not hear them on my floor. Pleasant surprise number five.

I got to the front desk to check out which went fine and then I asked for the shuttle. It was ready and I had read online that the shuttle was only to and from the airport. When I mentioned that to the shuttle driver, he said that wasn't true and he would be glad to take me to the BART station. Which he did. Pleasant surprise number six.

A pleasant experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I booked this for my parent's one night stopover en route to Alaska. As much as we wanted their trip to be special from beginning to end, there was not a real need for luxurious accomodations in Oakland. But as they are very clean and somewhat picky, we didn't want them in a dump either [even if it was only for one night] . And based on what I'd read on tripadvisor, this seemed worth a try.

The first thing my mom said when they arrived was , " This Red Lion has the BEST customer service and it is soooooo CLEAN." This coming from someone who does her own sanitizing everywhere she goes. During their stay and our conversations back in forth she kept mentioning how impressed she was with how well things were run and maintained. She raved about the Front Desk staff, Lounge and the shuttle drivers.

Based on the price it was an excellent value and they helped launch my parents into their Alaska vacation with smiles on their faces, full tummies and a real good impression of this hotel and Oakland. Red Lion Hotel, if you're listening, isn't it funny how excellent customer service goes a very long way?!

Room Tip: Do Not Choose Hegenberger Side rooms. Inner pool area rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven M
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We had 2 rooms. 1 of the rooms had a water leak and they told us that they would move us by the end of the day. At the end of the day they told us there were no rooms available but they kept checking people in while we were arguing with them. The lady at the counter, named Virginia, was horrible. She told us that there is no manager after 5 pm, no cleaning staff after 5 pm, and there was nothing she could do. Well after arguing for over an hour she finally got the manger to come over (surprise surprise, there was a manager on duty) and she immediately told them to move us. I told Virginia she needed more training and she certainly was not the right type of person to be in the hospitality business. The hotel itself is falling apart and it not well staffed, and what staff is there lies and does not care for the customer. I would look elsewhere. Thanks.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family