“Pay a few dollars more and go somewhere else”

Motel 6 Oakland Airport
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Pay a few dollars more and go somewhere else”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

In choosing Motel 6, we watched the video and the motel appeared to offer a good balance of value and amenities while being in close proximity to San Francisco.

From the moment you enter the security checkpoint at the entrance of the motel and once you check in with the staff who stand behind two inches of bullet resistant glass, anyone with a clue will realize that they have issues with crime. After watching the pedestrian and vehicle traffic for a period of time in the immediate area, it is apparent that the staff does not decline service to prostitutes w/ their protection (pimps) and drug dealers.

During the evening they had a minimum of two security personnel walking the grounds and the traffic (people not residing there) was constant throughout the night. While the affordable rates are the draw, once your there, you'll realize that Corporate hasn't paid attention to what occurs there or doesn't care as long as the money keeps coming in.

The area appears to have fallen on hard times and the motels adjacent to Motel 6 appear to have suffered the same fate. Restauraunts are limited in the immediate and personal safety is an issue if your not aware of your surroundings.

If you can afford better accomodations, do so.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sheepdog23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Czech first
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I stayed here the day before taking a flight from the Oakland Airport. Thanks to the location I was able to go to San Francisco in less than 15 min. and enjoy some food in Downtown SF... watch the Golden Gate etc. Sadly when it was time too sleep we could hear people walking in front of the room and talking. Room was clean and the place has good security.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank noblehalogen
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Our non-smoking rooms reeked of cigarette smoke. We found dried chinese food on our desk chair, silly string and suspicious crumbs on the bathroom floor. The security at the entrance was a nice feature, but didn't help me feel any safer. There were people drinking on the shared balconies and stairs and the single pane windows let us enjoy their drunken banter through the night. When we came back for our second night our rooms had not been cleaned during the day. When we called to ask for more towels (they didn't give us enough for each person) we had to walk back through the drunk people to the office to pick them up. Positives include the fact that the electricity, hot water, and ac all worked, but overall Motel 6 should be ashamed to have their name on this location.

• Stayed March 2011
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 8 February 2011

The entrance was the first surprise. There's security at the entrance to check your license plate, while lots of people roaming around the area. Once you get in the office, there's bullet proof windows. The worker was okay though, service is good, not slow. You have to write down all the names of people staying. Once you get your room key, it's written, "no guest is allowed in the room after 10pm, or else you'd be asked to leave".

The room was in okay condition. Everything was okay until the next day. When we return the end of the day, the room door is actually open. We believe they didn't shut it properly after housekeeping. We checked our bags, and everything is in its place. That's a sigh of relieve. Then, we found out they only left us with one towel.

Overall, it didn't give me a safe feeling. Perhaps it's the area.

• Stayed February 2011
Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed 21 May 2009

Let me tell you about the Motel 6 from hell? We didn't have a room set for our San Francisco trip although my husband had done some leg work and found a Motel 6 in Newark but I was sure we could do better. After calling every hotel listing in the AAA guide that said they would take dogs and not charge $300 non refundable cleaning fee in addition to a daily fee I realized that perhaps I was wrong. I broke down and called Motel 6 to make a reservation and the reservation specialist told me there was a much closer hotel that was right near the airport in Oakland and had a pool and fresh fruit and coffee for breakfast and only cost $69 a night I jumped at the chance and forked over my credit card number. Now remember that scene in Vacation when Chevy Chase saw the station wagon he had rented and realized the Family Truckster was not exactly what he had envisioned .Well then you know how we felt when we pulled up to the little white security shed at the entrance to our first Motel 6 experience. I should have known better when I went to check in and realized the concierge was standing behind six inches of bullet proof Plexiglas. Hmmmmnnn…

Well, with no other options I checked us in. Although it was a non-smoking room the polyester carpet was littered with cigarette burns and the walls had the familiar tinge of yellow familiar to all those who have lived with smokers. The towels had little curly black hairs, as did the blanket; well actually those were long and black. The bathroom door looked as though it had been kicked in on a fairly regular basis as it had been patched over and over. The door to the room was also unsealed so we had a strip of sunlight that shone through and added to the charm of our room. Our neighbors were a transient looking group of middle easterners that enjoyed hovering outside our door and leaning against the railing, while my husband was unloading the trailer, and staring at my six year old son and myself while sipping from their long necked Bud Lights. Fabulous!

I can officially say that will be our first and last time staying at a Motel 6. You can leave your light on for someone else.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Oregon
Reviewed 21 July 2008

This 6 can be appear to be a bit scary. There’s a check point to get in. There’s also bullet proof glass on the office windows. However, considering the area, this security is almost expected. And, if you need to stay in the area, it’s a welcome addition. I stayed there with my wife, and our room was satisfactory. The room was clean. We felt safe. It was also surprisingly quiet. There are a few individuals loitering around the place, as is often the case at Motel 6’s, but I never felt like I was in any real danger. All in all it’s a pretty typical 6 experience.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JM837626
LOS ANGELES
Reviewed 23 June 2008

WHERE DO I START... THIS WAS THE WORST MOTEL EVER... We ck in about 9pm , go to the rm put bag down. on the floor at the edge of the bed a used comdom I dont know if it was in the covers i did pull the cover off the bed .. i know you leave the light on but for who? hookers and hoes... i have never in my life been to a unclen hotel before. i took pictures and will be forwarding the pictures to the newspaper , health dept.. and everyone .. utube,,, never stays at the motel 6. they leave the light for hookers.hoes and crack head.s

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family