All reviewstoad roomlily padroom massagesclaw foot tubcontinental breakfasttucked awayprivate patiofull kitchenresident cattree housetwo storyget awaynice breakfasthard boiled eggspool arealovely poolbagels
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Every room is different with it's own name and character. We stayed in 'Acorn' which has a sitting area with sofa and stove, very comfortable bedroom area, a lovely kitchen and best of all a large private patio. Each of the cottages and rooms is tucked away in the beautiful setting with large trees overhanging. The Inn is at the end of a quiet street through a private gate. As soon as you are on the property you feel miles away from everything (although Ojai itself is a beautiful small town with no noise or traffic so there's not much to be 'miles away' from). The staff is sweet and helpful; there's a morning continental breakfast around the nice pool. We spent our 20th anniversary here and would love to go back again.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

It's hard for me to say negative things about this property, but the negative things that happened really tarnished my visit.

Upon arrival, I was loving the place and my room. The room was incredible - tons of space. Living room, dining room, full kitchen, huge bed and good bathroom space. Thought the place was perfect!

First downhill experience was when I was sitting relaxing in the living room area and noticed about 12 dead spiders clumped in a corner behind the TV and then started looking around the room and noticed a lot of cobwebs on the ceiling and corners of walls. I am severely allergic to spiders, so this freaked me out quite a bit. I cleaned up the dead ones, which I can't believe I even had to do when simple vacuuming would have handled this.

The next issue came the following day when they had someone from the electric company come out and work on the meters, which happened to be attached to my unit. He pounded on my walls for about an hour, and knocked the power to the unit out. I called the front desk and they came and eventually made him leave, but some notice would have been nice - I would have made other arrangements to not be in my unit when it was going on.

I was slightly disappointed as well that they couldn't really accommodate a later checkout. I was called the day I was arriving to see if I wasn't coming right on time because the people in my room wanted to stay later and I was happy to accommodate it. When I asked the morning of checkout, I was only given a half an hour extra because "someone else already asked for a late checkout". So apparently if you want one, you have to be the first and ask extra early in the morning.

My biggest issue was the bugs. I was paranoid the rest of the trip that I was going to have a spider bite me.

I just adored the room and the setup... minus the bug issue I would have rated this through the roof but there is just no excuse for that to be happening. That's lazy housekeeping.

Note: This was the Acorn room. If you are looking for quiet, I suggest a room father in on the property as this one is at the front and their neighbors are very loud most of the day and through the night. Not the hotel's fault, just is what it is. Mowing lawns, blasting music from garages... very loud in front.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street, they have very noisy neighbors.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank capitalmel13
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Dear readers and valued guests, we are always thankful for all our reviews, even those that are less than perfect. However, management finds that this particular review needs some clarification. As we apologize that a spider was found, we must explain that while our rooms are vacuumed daily, we resist using toxic pesticides in the room for the benefit of all our guests. Regarding the unfortunate PG&E worker, we were not notified during, prior or otherwise that work was scheduled on the property. When finally alerted of the noise, we promptly sent him away. As with all late check outs, we try our best to accommodate guest’s wishes given the time constraints of each particular day. And finally, as for the road noise, the Emerald Iguana is located at the end of a street with only a few homes surrounding-as noted in all past reviews describing our serene and quiet surroundings. Thank you for taking the time to read our response, as we hope it has provided the needed clarity!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

My new favourite place to stay in Ojai! A real charmer with clean, comfortable and romantic rooms, friendly staff and a chilled vibe. The mature gardens and quiet ‘end of street’ location really make this place intimate and special.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2012

A friend suggested we stay at the Emerald Iguana Inn and she couldn't have been more right on! Everything from the location at the dead-end street (very quiet), to the beautiful property grounds, the wonderful breakfast and wine & cheese by the pool, the room we had (Toad) was perfect! The first day we were there laying by the pool I was already thinking about when we could come back again. The staff are very friendly and helpful. This is a perfect place to come relax and get away from the daily hustle and bustle of life. HIGHLY recommend to anyone wanting a quiet, romantic experience. It's also very close to the main drag in Ojai so you can walk to restaurants and shops easily. The only things to note are that the Toad room is on the smaller side so you can't do the side-by-side massages. There is also a memory foam topper on the bed (which we didn't like) but they can remove it for you.

2  Thank Becky L
Reviewed June 23, 2012

The Emerald Iguana Inn in Ojai has been our favorite getaway spot for several years now. It is the most beautiful, restful accommodations we have ever found anywhere in all of our travels. The rooms and cottages are private, quiet, tastefully decorated with wonderful artwork from local artists. The bedding is very comfortable, the pool and jacuzzi are a welcome relief for our travel weary bones, and the continental breakfast is delicious and ample.

Room Tip: The entire Inn is situated on the cul-de-sac, literally on the edge of town. (Still, it's only a short walk a few blocks to the downtown stores and restaurants.) Privacy and Quiet is carefully nurtured here. Every room and cottage is quiet and private. You can't miss on any room selection at the Emerald Iguana.