“Great place to get your life back.”
Review of The Oaks at Ojai

The Oaks at Ojai
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Reviewed 20 October 2011

If you want a luxury spa where you will be pampered, this is not the place for you.

However, if you want to refocus your life back to a healthy lifestyle and meet real, fabulous, interesting people, this is your place. It is very casual, and the guests and staff are warm and friendly. They offer a huge variety of fitness classes, there really is something for everyone. While I don't think a top level athlete would feel challenged here, the rest of us were certainly tired at the end of the day! There's also a sauna, steam shower, and 2 hot tubs to help ease your tired muscles.

They offer a 1000 calorie a day meal program. I must admit, I was very worried that I would be starving, but I was surprisingly satisfied, probably because they offer snacks in between meals.

There are a typical assortment of "spa" services that we all thought were top-notch.

In summary, I LOVED this place. There are no pretenses here. Everyone is casual...all of the time. Most of the guest were returnees. I stayed for 5 nights, and I felt incredible when I left.

This spa offers incredible value for money.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank MomAndAll

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I was in town recently on business and decided to include a Spa-stop to this local icon while visiting the area. The 'Oak's' property is a longstanding fixture in Ojai proper and the Spa Industry, in general. I looked into one of their several 'Spa Fitness Packages' and decided on the reasonably-priced Fitness Spa Day selection @ only 129.00 for the entire day; included 3 low-fat meals, limitless use of work-out area, sauna and pool - which was of immediate interest to me - having just come off a very disappointing experience around the bend at the famous 'Ojai Valley Inn'. I was in rapid search of a property with acceptable health-practices and cleanliness. One of the things which I instantly appreciated about the pool/area observed at the Oak's, was the meticulous hygiene of the water itself. The conditions at the other neighboring 5-Star Resort's Spa-pool were a literal 'health-risk' akin to swimming through a cesspool, day of my visit. As a result, my day there was abrubtley aborted as I refused to swim in such deplorable conditions. Thank heavens I stepped into a situation far more relaxing AND more economical overall! The garden-setting is very tranquil and many of the Spa guests take in the quieting environment w/ a book, or other reading materials. There is a lovely grassy-area surrounding the pool if you would prefer a more 'garden' atmosphere - with the glorious Topa-Topa mountains framing the scene; something like Eden! The food was so-so and could've been a 'tad more inventive but 'healthy' was the order of the day. A perfect finishing-touch to the afternoon, was their invigorating 'Eucalyptus Steam Room' - opens up your pores (and senses) completely - wonderful following a long, tiring day. I left feeling re-newed and re-freshed. And unlike the 'other' experience which lead me running to the Oak's in the 1st place, this property visibly adheres to appropriate and regulated standards of hygiene - acceptable amongst the most discriminating of Spa connessuiers.....!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank NewportBeachWords
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I came here because my husband was on a business trip nearby & I needed help with my diet. I did the Sunday thru Friday plan. This was not my first fitness spa so I had somewhat of an idea what to expect. It's still surprising to see the Oaks right in the Ojai downtown. Due to not much going on in the evenings (one of my main complaints), I walked around town nightly. Ojai is actually a very nice destination by itself. By all means, try the Farmer's Market on Sunday - beautiful fruits, flowers, etc.....I had fresh flowers in my room all week! There are 2 places on the next block that provide much cheaper massages also. I tried
nearly every class as I am already in good shape. The website says it is not for the "elite
athlete" and that is very true. I am far from elite but I was rarely pushed. I just decided to
adapt the classes to my own level and take as many as I could fit in. I enjoyed the dance
classes, hula hoop, drum (a pleasant surprise), AM hikes and aquacise. There are no body pump or body bar classes. The instructors are patient & enthusiastic. I would also highly
recommend the optional bike trip to Ventura Beach - costs extra but it's well worth it. I also
enjoyed the roller blading. Regarding the food, I asked for vegetarian & they had a staff
person available to help with the menu options. I was always full during the day & enjoyed
most of the food, but nights were tough due to hunger & not liking their only snack option of
dry popcorn. Maybe a smoothie? The evenings are boring also - why not a class, speaker, fun activity, genuine fashion show (so called fashion show was just walking across the street
& watching the boutique owner - and I assume friend of the spa owners - model outfits she
was encouraging you to buy), etc.......My room was small (I could sit on the toilet & brush
my teeth!!!!) but OK. No view as it was blocked by an ugly maintenance building. I did use
the pay washer/dryer. Housekeeping was good. The massages were good but I'd recommend some kind of price break for multiple massages that you could purchase when you check in. I found most of the staff to be very helpful & friendly. This is not a huge place so I guess they can't compete with the larger spas that provide so much more (Rancho La Puerta, for example), but I do think they could tweak some things. I would go back as I met some nice folks & got my diet back on track but, if budget allows, my first choice would be elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the street if you are a light sleeper. Also ask for one with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
10  Thank doctorbubba
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I've been to a number of spas in our country and abroad, and what I like the most about The Oaks is the friendly ambience that is generated. You walk into the dining room and can sit with anyone. The food is great, considering it's dietetic. Ojai has much to recommend it, and the classes are top notch. I can't do it all. I did find a little foot-massage place around the corner that gave ultra-cheap massages, but other than that I like to get the services. Love the farmers market with its great flowers and beeswax candles. Only thing is the bar across the street on weekends keeps you up with bad renditions of Margaritaville. What're you gonna do? It's still great.

Room Tip: ask to be off the street if noise is an issue
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank 10caratblue
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The food and program were amazing... Meeting Cathy Cluff made my trip complete! We all know what to do, but to have the right people to motivate you and assist you in believing you can do it is the trick!! Thank you Oaks!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Cissna
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We didn't stay at the Oaks as their rooms seem seriously outdated on the website, but we decided to book massage there and giving the place a try. When we arrived, we have been notified that the massage doesn't come w/ the usage of the spa facility, as it is reserved only for resort guests or people who book the day package. We even went to talk to the onsite manager since 99% of spas nowadays provides its guests access of the facility as long as they have one with booking of any services. So on the surface, $85 50min massage seems like a bargain, but once they remove you from accessing shower, changing room, hot tub, steam room, etc, it seems quite expensive. The massage actually was good, but I probably will never go back again since it's really didn't give me a spa feeling at all, it's more or less like weight loss camp with minimum accommodation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rosweet
Management response:Responded 11 July 2011

We really appreciate hearing about your experience. Indeed, the use of our spa facility is for guests on a Day Package or overnight stay. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't as you expected - and I'll be delving into our descriptions, to prevent disappointment for future customers.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Excellent location, food was surprisingly good, lots of healthy choices and suggestions including a cooking demonstration with recipes. All excercise classes and walks included were wonderful. Staff is very informative and helpful.
Robyn Camarillo in the pool was awesome, Maura lead a morning stroll and some of the yoga classes and she is fantastic.
I will go back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family