“Cozy, rainy weekend”
Review of Martine Inn

Martine Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Spent a lovely relaxed weekend at the Martine Inn. Our room was the perfect place to come "home" to after exploring the area by foot in the rain. Loved the huge claw foot tub and the fireplace. Service was perfect, food excellent and the view mesmerizing.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Martine Inn

Reviewed 4 March 2012

This has to be one of the nicest, most fantastic places I have ever had the pleasure to spend 2 days in my life. Antiques everywhere (even in their lobby restroom).
I hardly know quite where to start, so I'll start with arrival. Jennifer greeted me & made sure to familiarize me with the layout of the property, the sitting room, the library, and the TV/meeting room. That's right-THE TV ROOM-no tv's in the rooms. With the beauty and restful-nature of the rooms and grounds, it would be a shame to spend time watching TV. I never even saw the TV on, so I'd guess most of the guests agree. I got to actually sit (lay) in a vintage "Mae West" type settee in the sitting room. I've only seen these in Museums and always with a "do not touch" sign on them. Wow, luxury I never expected to experience.
The yummies at the evening hor'douerves & wine reception were different every night and always exceptional, as well as creative- chef-made hummus, bacon wrapped apricots (Food/Cooking Channel is correct-everything does taste better with bacon), asparagus dip, only to name a few, along with veggies & fresh fruits along with some great wines SECRET...I am not a huge nighttime eater-so I snacked my way through the hor'doeuvres and never ate out until I departed the inn.
Next, the room. I selected the MALARIN Room, in what is refered to as the Carriage House at the rear of the inn. It has a sliver of ocean view and has full length windowed doors that open onto an ivied, flowered central patio with it's fountain AND BONUS: a quiet flowered rear patio. I had a wood burning fireplace, a rocking chair, a big clawfoot tub (made for soaking), along with more beautiful antiques. The fixtures in the bathrooms are not standard chrome, but golden-ala Hearst Castle. Very luxurious.
Breakfast is not to be missed. Lots of large dining room size tables, inviting socializing-or NOT, with a wonderful view of the beautiful Monterey Bay, Again a different homemade main dish everyday-with fresh juice & a fresh fruit accompanment. Sit down and enjoy being waited on. The inn is very close to Castroville so artichokes & fresh ingredients play a large role. The chef is to be rewarded-he is a class act.
Lastly, but definitely not least, the owners & staff make sure to introduce themselves, talk to the guests and make guests welcome. Dan, the owner, loves his antique selections and loves telling about the acquisition of the pieces. Anne is a "not silent" partner and a gracious hostess. Cody IS "the host with the most". Definitely a prize worth holding on to. The housekeeping staff are polite & friendly and deserve applause for keeping the grounds and rooms in great shape as well.
I'm sure I've left something out, but I think the message is clear-COME TO THE MARTINE INN and enjoy relaxing, strolling the coast, take a walk to Cannery Row, or whatever you choose to do or, if you're like me do nothing and drift back in time to a more gracious time if that is what you choose.

& Cody as well as my arrival night hostess-regretfully, I don't remember her name, all make sure guests feel welcome

Room Tip: Each room is furnished & decorated uniquely, so go on line,read the blurbs about each room &...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was my first stay at a bed and breakfast, so please take my rating with a grain of salt.

I'll start with the positive aspects. The staff, Kody in particular, was incredibly welcoming and helpful. The complementary wine and h'orderves were a great bonus and breakfast was extremely good, definitely better in quality than we expected. Also, having private bathrooms for each bedroom/suite is a very positive attribute in my opinion.

The decor was sort of a neutral point for us. If you like Victorian-style interiors then this is your place. It reminded me very much of my grandmother's house, which isn't really a negative thing, but that's what I immediately thought when we arrived.

As far as the downsides go, the comfort level was a bit lacking. By this I mean the mattress, pillows and bedding, which were a good deal less than soft. Also, the heat wasn't working in our room. Granted, Kody did promptly provide us with a space heater when it was brought to his attention, but I don't think I should have had to pay full price for a room that never got above 60 degrees. The last negative characteristic, and this is one of my pet peeves, is how thin the walls are. Trying to fall asleep is pretty difficult when you can hear every footstep on the stairs and every conversation carried on in the nearby common areas.

Overall this was an average experience for us. The good probably outweighed the bad and the things that I considered "negatives" are subjective. Like I said, this was our first stay in a bed-and-breakfast so maybe that had something to do with it. Again, the staff and food were great and I'd probably go so far as to say even better than I've seen at some high-end hotels.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank rmcarlton
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We spent Christmas at this delightful Inn. Comfy, warming Victorian interiors and excellent hospitality by the host. Breakfast was different, often Spanish inspired, and delicious. The view from the dining room across the rocks to the Pacific Ocean was spectacular and we could watch the sea otters catching food as we breakfasted. Binoculars were available on the window sill for a closer view. Our room was clean and relaxing. The Inn's position gave us easy walking into Monterey and entrance to the 17 mile drive headland and the Big Sur route. If coming to this area whale watching is a must (we saw at least 10 grey whales on our morning trip) as is the aquarium. We had definitely the relaxing experience that we were looking for.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wisperssecret
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Thank you so much! from the very moment we entered the inn Cody made us feel right at home.he made us feel like we were his priority! It's hard to find good customer service these days but the staff was great and I can tell they really put great effort to do a great job for all the guests.the whole experience from our very fancy silverware at breakfast and the ocean view to the decor all the little details like wine hour,the coffee station and our parting gift of banana bread and water made our stay awesome thanks again we will be back!! Highly recommend The Razo family

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Rreazon
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed in the Martine Inn in two rooms for two couples. It was the only place in the area that had both a view AND was willing to book for one-night-only on a weekend. However, that's not the only perk: the Martine does indeed have great views from just about any vantage point in the house. You can literally walk across the street to the rocky shoreline. We had a good overview of the house from the staff upon arrival. The breakfast was plentiful. My only quibble--a small one--is that I'd asked ahead to accommodate one of our party who is a non-pork-eater at breakfast, but sausages still were part of the meal. Still, though, the staff quickly made a good substitution so we survived that minor food crisis.

Room Tip: Look on the website to locate a room if you want an ocean view. (You pay extra for it.) Their websit...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank CHCNV
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The view at breakfast was my favorite part. The breakfast was great, The room was comfortable and quiet. Dinner at nearby Fandango was wonderful too.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2.5 km away
Monterey Marriott
Monterey Marriott
#14 of 56 in Monterey

Been to Martine Inn? Share your experiences!