All reviewsdining hallsocial halljulia morganthe main lodgehistoric roomscafeteria stylestate parkarts and craftssand dunesconference groundsrustic charmfamily reunionrent bikeshearst castleroaring fireping pongthe pacific ocean
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Let me start off by saying that while I love the idea of camping outdoors, I am a mosquito-attracting supermagnet and have so many awful memories of my childhood camping with my parents and hating it because of the dozens of bites that I'd always, always get. Great for my two sisters who could guarantee a bite-free camping adventure if they just stood close enough to me the whole time.

But now that I have my own kids, I wanted to find a way to introduce them to the beautiful aspects of nature without having to suffer the darn skeeters. So we stayed for two nights in one of the historic cabins with a fireplace and it was so awesome. There was enough outdoors time -- biking to the dining hall, going tide-pooling and walking along the trails, finding pinecones and "harry potter" wands to sandpaper and decorate, spotting deer right outside our door, and s'mores in the room in the evening -- and still, I didn't have to worry about constantly running to the shared washrooms each time one of my 3 kids had to use the bathroom, having to haul a bunch of gear with us to set up camp, etc. The kids had a wonderful time and it's a great place for a family with young/younger kids to go where mom/dad doesn't have to cook, you can expose the family to a gorgeous and natural unstructured setting, and you still have the conveniences of a home and private bathroom/shower. It's not a luxury resort/spa, so don't come expecting great service and amenities - but if you want a simple and convenient home base that allows you to get out and enjoy the natural beauty of this area, this is it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sfscoutmom
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have stayed at Asilomar about 3 times, in all kinds of rooms. We love the setting on the ocean, in a beautiful forest, and deer roaming around. It is very peaceful and magical. The service was good at the front desk and excellent in the breakfast hall. This time, we had a terrible room--very run down looking, in a building that had a musty odor in the common areas. Our mattresses were new and excellent to sleep on, but this time the room was just not good. We told the front desk and they advised to go on line a give them feedback. Apparently they are beginning a large scale renovation of the rooms. I gave this place a 4 because other than this room this time, we love to stay at this place.

Room Tip: Reserve a specific type of room in a location close to the ocean. Get a fireplaces room--they provide wood nightly.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our organization, the Centers for Spiritual Living, has been meeting at the Asilomar Conference Grounds for over 50 years. Each summer, I look forward to going there and having a wonderful experience with 800 or so close friends. The grounds themselves, are a nature preserve adjacent to the Pacific Ocean. Over the years, most of the tall pines have died, but new trees are now coming into their own. The accomodations are somewhere between rustic and old-fashioned. Some rooms have fireplaces, and some have ocean views. The food in Crocker Dining Hall is well above-average. It is really about the feeling of the grounds and the beautiful Monterey Penninsula. It is a place to get away - no tv or phones in the rooms. If that is what you are looking for, then Asilomar is a unique choice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jimlockard
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Well, it's true, this is a "tech free" spot. Its strange to not have anything in the room for coffee/tea, internet, tv. Even tho I may never touch any of those things i have grown accostomed to having them available.
The rooms are clean and "rustic." Our bathroom had a corner shower stall with old but clean grout and a very old low toilet with a small sink(see photo).
Our bed was brand new as they are replacing all of them this month. Be prepared, a lot of the beds are doubles, few are larger. We slept well, if not a little cramped.
We paid the extra to have a fridge brought in and it works perfectly with little noise.
The fireplace in our room was replenished each day with new fuel.
I agree with other reviewers, the food and food service is good. Our gluten free requirements were met with understated attention and care, i.e. they kept the fuss minimal and the smiles plentiful. For conference center food it was top notch, enhanced by all organic.
This isn't the St Francis, yet it's not dumpy either. It's a true representation of a "rustic getaway." Livable. The sun just came out...when I took the walking path to lunch, a crystal clear view of the ocean framed by stands of Monterey Cypress, stole my breath away. When I caught my breath, it was full of the scent of pines warming in the sun. Come to the rustic and bathe in the magnificent...the California Coast at it's scenic best!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed here 3 nights, traveling solo....stayed in the rustic rooms....there are many types of accommodations to choose from so see what you like best...make reservations ahead of time as they can be booked with conferences....wonderful breakfast included....fun meeting people from all around the world as you sit in large round tables...great trail along the beach...really wonderful walking! helpful friendly staff, great little shop, loved the town Pacific Grove, small, charming, shops, cafes, movie theater! took the trolley to Aquarium which was really fun! so all good...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo