All reviews dining hall social hall julia morgan the main lodge historic rooms cafeteria style state park arts and crafts sand dunes conference grounds rustic charm family reunion rent bikes hearst castle ping pong heated pool the pacific ocean
Reviewed January 25, 2013

After looking at the web site and the cost of the rooms and the pictures, I was very excited to get a deal off TravelZoo to stay here. Well It is very basic. The rooms are very plain. The ocean view rooms are just that!! Ocean view from your window. We had no balcony, only a front porch where every one walked by to get to their rooms. The pool was under repair as well as all the roads and paths, which made it very hard to get around. They feed you family style which was nice if you like that kind of eating. The food was good for Breakfast. That is the only meal we had there. Our room was dirty! I called the first day and told them about it, no one came and cleaned it. When we checked out, I showed them a picture of the vents in my room that I took with my phone. It was just disgusting and the manager agreed and adjusted my bill. I would not go back again. There are lots of places close to the ocean there that are clean.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally J
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I did not stay this trip, but I did have an unfortunate accident on the grounds. I entered a cramped, inconvenient, unclear 10 minute parking lot next to the cafe and pulled past a row that was full, only to be met by a Do-not-enter sign. As I attempted a three point turn, my attention on a rock wall, I heard a crunch. Posts too low to be observed through my rear view. OKAY, MY MISTAKE, BUT! Why are the posts edged in sharp, thick metal lethal to bumpers??? I was moving slowly and with a wooden post would probably have sustained little or no damage. The metal sliced through the light cover and began slicing through the bumper. This will be an expensive repair. Is this new with Aramark? To me this is a complete disregard for visitors from a place I have found somewhat impersonal and mediocre when I have stayed here before.
I will most likely never stay again, nor recommend it, in spite of its proximity to a beautiful beach.

Room Tip: Be very careful driving in this place. Look out for one ways!
Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Asilomar is just steps away from a beautiful beach near Monterrey. The rooms are state owned and very basic - large but no TV, furniture from the 50's and in need of spiffing up. However, it is a great place for a retreat. The food at the resort (all buffet) is basic but good and vegetarian and special meals are available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to the beach. Please note all the balconies face away from the beach. However, closest to the beach allows you to get there in just a few minutes with easy access to the main buildings.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gwenna
Reviewed January 22, 2013

While Asilomar is not a 5 star resort I did find it comfortable and convenient for the retreat i attended there. The rooms had nice fireplace (very welcome in January), and were comfortable enough. I found the food to be surprisingly good, served Cafeteria style. The meals had three options, one was always a vegetarian. There was attention to special diets, such as gluten free. The grounds are spread out so be prepared to walk to meals or meeting. The meeting room we used was spacious, with lots of windows and a big fireplace. Cookies were provided by the kitchen as well as coffee and tea. There was some construction going on, improvements to walkways and grounds I think. The grounds are not manicured, but rather the natural environment, we saw deer on the property, and of course the ocean is a short walk away. Bicycles are available for rent and it is a short, pleasant ride to Cannery Row in Monterey, as we biked we saw whales off the coast. The Monarch Grove Butterfly Sanctuary is a short walk away, very interesting-don't miss it. The Store has many basics you might need, as well as some unique souvenirs. The check in staff was friendly, efficient, check in time on a Friday afternoon can get quite busy. I recommend Asilomar as an affordable, well located meeting/retreat destination.

Room Tip: The room I had was nestled in the woods, and was assigned by the group I traveled with. If I were traveling alone to Asilomar or planning the trip for a group I might inquire about rooms in building closer to the ocean where you might have a view or be able to hear the surf at night. I am not sure if all rooms have fireplaces, but I would be sure to request that as well since it can be chilly in Pacific Grove anytime of the year.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a historic room with hardwood floors and craftsman era furniture. Julia Morgan's architecture connects with the sea and history in a harmonic way. The travel zoo pkg for $99/nite with breakfast for 2 was a wonderful deal so we upgraded to a view room for an addl $40/nite. The staff at the reception and in the eating hall was attentive. Lots of construction on the grounds going on that was inconvenient for walkers. Gorgeous 3 sunny days spent, aquarium, Big Sur, and gorgeous sunsets. Not quite Hawaii but a quick getaway from the East Bay. We loved our stay.

• Stayed: January 2013