All reviewsdining hallsocial halljulia morganthe main lodgehistoric roomscafeteria stylestate parkarts and craftssand dunesconference groundsrustic charmfamily reunionrent bikeshearst castleroaring fireping pongthe pacific ocean
Reviewed March 25, 2015

I attended a meeting here in March. The facilities are OK but the physical setting is stunning. You are right off the beach with evergreens all around. The main building has a bar where one can buy beer/wine, take this to the Adirondack chairs on the deck behind and watch the sun recede into the Pacific. Spectacular and worth the cost. I would be delighted to attend another meeting here anytime. The staff is also quite friendly.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed March 20, 2015

Family, friends, and my wife have been to Asilomar many times, usually to stay in one of the historic, fireplace, or ocean view rooms... Now that they've added a new cafe in the main Lodge, it's also a wonderful place just to drive to, buy a beverage, and take out on the grand porch/veranda, sit in one one of the marvelous Adirondack chairs, and watch the sun descend into the Pacific Ocean... If it's too cloudy for Sunset, there are many walking trails through the wildflowers in the dunes, where you often see deer, birds, and other wildlife...

Room Tip: Ask for fireplace with Ocean views... Second floor rooms are quietest...
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JayinSF415
Reviewed March 17, 2015

We stayed here for a conference in the East Breakers building.

The room was sparsely appointed with no TV or phone (keeps your mind on business) but did have a Keurig coffee maker. The coffee maker did not work and was replaced by housekeeping.

Saving water is seemingly a big priority at Asilomar as it should be, with a few signs in the room giving you water saving tips and the option to not have your linens changed.

We arrived after our long trip looking forward to a hot shower and hot is what we got.
In every faucet in the room, hot and cold. Extremely hot.
A call was made to the front desk and a maintenance man arrived shortly thereafter.
He sat in the bathroom and ran the faucets and tub on the cold setting for upwards of five minutes and then let us know that we now had cold water. Apparently this is an ongoing problem in this building and their solution is to waste what must be many hundreds of gallons of water a day.
Our second day we turned on the cold water to discover the problem seemingly fixed!
Then we turned on the hot water and found that there was none.
A call to the front desk promised a maintenance person but no one ever showed up.
Additional calls were made and we were told the hot water system was down and it would be back later. That night we were back to no cold water. I guess they fixed it!
A very loud dripping water in an echo chamber sound came from within the adjoining wall of our room starting the first night and continued until we left.
Food on sight is fine with $12.95 chicken dinners going for the bargain price of $35.
I guess they have to pay for their water bill some how?
There was wi fi in the room most of the time I was in it but would occasionally disappear.
All in all a very disappointing room at a beautiful location.

Room Tip: I would avoid the Breakers buildings
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Mac H
Reviewed March 15, 2015

I stayed at Asilomar for a night with my family (2 little girls, wife and mother-in-law). I had stayed at retreats in the early 2000s, and after reading review, was a little scared that the service wouldn't be up to par.

We loved the place. The location is amazing - across the street from a state park beach, and adjacent to 17 mile drive. Service was friendly. We didn't eat at the dining hall, but had some good food at the new cafe in the reception hall.

We stayed in the newer rooms (Cypress building). The bathroom was showing its age (but functional), but in a way, I'd rather have it be the way it was than pay $250 a night for an immaculate brand new bathroom.

Our only difficulty was that the wifi didn't work in our room. We were only there for a night, so I didn't complain and see if there was any remedy.

Room Tip: Some rooms have beach view. I've always stayed in the new rooms, but the historic rooms look very cute from the pictures.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2015

We have a family of 7 who stayed here -- from 8 years old to 57. Everyone enjoyed the stay -- quiet and peaceful, with plenty of places for kids to walk and run and be active.

The boardwalk to the beach is a wonderful walk -- not too long, and it's nicely built to have few significant changes in elevation for those with walking challenges. They also have "beach wheelchairs" to loan out so that anyone can get down on the sand. A nice variety of long sandy stretches and rocky tide pools.

The pool looked fantastic, but it started to rain when we were headed down there -- so I can't tell you much more about that. Food at the cafe was more than we wanted to spend, so we didn't eat on property -- I kinda wish we had because that would have completed the experience :)

The rooms are basic -- we had double beds, and they were comfortable and clean. Lots of hot water, chairs on the outside walkway with views to the ocean, or the forested areas on property. There is a yoga room that we were able to use for a couple of hours when our extended family visited.

This is a lodge-type experience with rustic features. No phone in the room (there are phones at every building), no TV. There is Wi-Fi in the rooms. The main building (check in and lobby) is very cool -- fireplace, pool tables, seating areas, snack bar (many coffee selections), and a very nice outdoor seating area with benches and Adirondack chairs. The lodge has many different buildings, that are connected by walk-ways, but they also provide quick and comfortable courtesy carts to take you anywhere you want to go on property. Bike rentals are available.

It was exactly what we wanted for our stay. I would recommend it! If you are looking for a luxury hotel, this isn't for you. But for a clean, quiet, charming (heavy on the charming), friendly, BEAUTIFUL place to stay, this is it. I would love to come back.

Room Tip: Many rooms have beach views, and it's spectacular. Be sure to ask about them. But all views are beautiful, because the grounds are so green and well-kept.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family