All reviewsdining hallsocial halljulia morganthe main lodgehistoric roomscafeteria stylestate parkarts and craftssand dunesconference groundsrustic charmfamily reunionrent bikeshearst castleroaring fireping pongthe pacific ocean
Reviewed April 1, 2015

I was here for a conference and found everything to be great. The rooms were nice and clean (and so relaxing not having a television). There was a nice little balcony to enjoy the weather. The meeting rooms were just as nice if not better as I've seen in big hotels. The food was between good and excellent. The staff at the on site restaurant were able to seat and feed the 900+ in our conference. Everyone did a great job. The location is also ideal. Walking to the meeting room I often ran into deer and other small animals that had no fear of humans. The beach is also a short walk and there is a great path to walk along the beach. I would love to return with my family sometime.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank rajah1993
Reviewed March 26, 2015

Came here for a meeting in March after a long Midwestern winter. A long trip from SFO but used Monterey Airbus (great service and totally reliable) so it wasn't too bad to get here. Weather was perfect, cool mornings/evenings and warm afternoons. Nice cafe in the main building will serve you a giant pour of wine so that you can sit on their back deck and stare at the sunset over the Pacific. Hard to improve on this.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2015

I attended a meeting here in March. The facilities are OK but the physical setting is stunning. You are right off the beach with evergreens all around. The main building has a bar where one can buy beer/wine, take this to the Adirondack chairs on the deck behind and watch the sun recede into the Pacific. Spectacular and worth the cost. I would be delighted to attend another meeting here anytime. The staff is also quite friendly.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed March 20, 2015

Family, friends, and my wife have been to Asilomar many times, usually to stay in one of the historic, fireplace, or ocean view rooms... Now that they've added a new cafe in the main Lodge, it's also a wonderful place just to drive to, buy a beverage, and take out on the grand porch/veranda, sit in one one of the marvelous Adirondack chairs, and watch the sun descend into the Pacific Ocean... If it's too cloudy for Sunset, there are many walking trails through the wildflowers in the dunes, where you often see deer, birds, and other wildlife...

Room Tip: Ask for fireplace with Ocean views... Second floor rooms are quietest...
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JayinSF415
Reviewed March 17, 2015

We stayed here for a conference in the East Breakers building.

The room was sparsely appointed with no TV or phone (keeps your mind on business) but did have a Keurig coffee maker. The coffee maker did not work and was replaced by housekeeping.

Saving water is seemingly a big priority at Asilomar as it should be, with a few signs in the room giving you water saving tips and the option to not have your linens changed.

We arrived after our long trip looking forward to a hot shower and hot is what we got.
In every faucet in the room, hot and cold. Extremely hot.
A call was made to the front desk and a maintenance man arrived shortly thereafter.
He sat in the bathroom and ran the faucets and tub on the cold setting for upwards of five minutes and then let us know that we now had cold water. Apparently this is an ongoing problem in this building and their solution is to waste what must be many hundreds of gallons of water a day.
Our second day we turned on the cold water to discover the problem seemingly fixed!
Then we turned on the hot water and found that there was none.
A call to the front desk promised a maintenance person but no one ever showed up.
Additional calls were made and we were told the hot water system was down and it would be back later. That night we were back to no cold water. I guess they fixed it!
A very loud dripping water in an echo chamber sound came from within the adjoining wall of our room starting the first night and continued until we left.
Food on sight is fine with $12.95 chicken dinners going for the bargain price of $35.
I guess they have to pay for their water bill some how?
There was wi fi in the room most of the time I was in it but would occasionally disappear.
All in all a very disappointing room at a beautiful location.

Room Tip: I would avoid the Breakers buildings