“A special place”

Asilomar Conference Grounds
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 April 2015

I first went to Asilomar for a conference years ago and since have returned more than several times. Some times on my own, or with friends, a lover, or my children. (not all at once). The rooms are simple, the family style breakfast scene is old school, and the prices are great for the fantastic location. There is no TV, no Spa, no extras, just a simple place to stay in one of the most beautiful locations in the world. Its romantic in that you're a 5 minute walk to a beach with tide pools etc. You can bring a bottle of wine to enjoy on your porch-its an ideal place to do some watercolors, read, write, hike, go to the beach. And when you want to head to town and be a tourist its an easy drive from this quiet peaceful simple good place. September is really the ideal time to go-

Room Tip: I like the rooms in the historic buildings. The place was built by Mrs Hearst as the Women's Cam...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank colorhappy

Reviewed 1 April 2015

I was here for a conference and found everything to be great. The rooms were nice and clean (and so relaxing not having a television). There was a nice little balcony to enjoy the weather. The meeting rooms were just as nice if not better as I've seen in big hotels. The food was between good and excellent. The staff at the on site restaurant were able to seat and feed the 900+ in our conference. Everyone did a great job. The location is also ideal. Walking to the meeting room I often ran into deer and other small animals that had no fear of humans. The beach is also a short walk and there is a great path to walk along the beach. I would love to return with my family sometime.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank rajah1993
Reviewed 26 March 2015

Came here for a meeting in March after a long Midwestern winter. A long trip from SFO but used Monterey Airbus (great service and totally reliable) so it wasn't too bad to get here. Weather was perfect, cool mornings/evenings and warm afternoons. Nice cafe in the main building will serve you a giant pour of wine so that you can sit on their back deck and stare at the sunset over the Pacific. Hard to improve on this.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2015

I attended a meeting here in March. The facilities are OK but the physical setting is stunning. You are right off the beach with evergreens all around. The main building has a bar where one can buy beer/wine, take this to the Adirondack chairs on the deck behind and watch the sun recede into the Pacific. Spectacular and worth the cost. I would be delighted to attend another meeting here anytime. The staff is also quite friendly.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed 20 March 2015

Family, friends, and my wife have been to Asilomar many times, usually to stay in one of the historic, fireplace, or ocean view rooms... Now that they've added a new cafe in the main Lodge, it's also a wonderful place just to drive to, buy a beverage, and take out on the grand porch/veranda, sit in one one of the marvelous Adirondack chairs, and watch the sun descend into the Pacific Ocean... If it's too cloudy for Sunset, there are many walking trails through the wildflowers in the dunes, where you often see deer, birds, and other wildlife...

Room Tip: Ask for fireplace with Ocean views... Second floor rooms are quietest...
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JayinSF415
Reviewed 17 March 2015

We stayed here for a conference in the East Breakers building.

The room was sparsely appointed with no TV or phone (keeps your mind on business) but did have a Keurig coffee maker. The coffee maker did not work and was replaced by housekeeping.

Saving water is seemingly a big priority at Asilomar as it should be, with a few signs in the room giving you water saving tips and the option to not have your linens changed.

We arrived after our long trip looking forward to a hot shower and hot is what we got.
In every faucet in the room, hot and cold. Extremely hot.
A call was made to the front desk and a maintenance man arrived shortly thereafter.
He sat in the bathroom and ran the faucets and tub on the cold setting for upwards of five minutes and then let us know that we now had cold water. Apparently this is an ongoing problem in this building and their solution is to waste what must be many hundreds of gallons of water a day.
Our second day we turned on the cold water to discover the problem seemingly fixed!
Then we turned on the hot water and found that there was none.
A call to the front desk promised a maintenance person but no one ever showed up.
Additional calls were made and we were told the hot water system was down and it would be back later. That night we were back to no cold water. I guess they fixed it!
A very loud dripping water in an echo chamber sound came from within the adjoining wall of our room starting the first night and continued until we left.
Food on sight is fine with $12.95 chicken dinners going for the bargain price of $35.
I guess they have to pay for their water bill some how?
There was wi fi in the room most of the time I was in it but would occasionally disappear.
All in all a very disappointing room at a beautiful location.

Room Tip: I would avoid the Breakers buildings
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Mac H
Reviewed 15 March 2015

I stayed at Asilomar for a night with my family (2 little girls, wife and mother-in-law). I had stayed at retreats in the early 2000s, and after reading review, was a little scared that the service wouldn't be up to par.

We loved the place. The location is amazing - across the street from a state park beach, and adjacent to 17 mile drive. Service was friendly. We didn't eat at the dining hall, but had some good food at the new cafe in the reception hall.

We stayed in the newer rooms (Cypress building). The bathroom was showing its age (but functional), but in a way, I'd rather have it be the way it was than pay $250 a night for an immaculate brand new bathroom.

Our only difficulty was that the wifi didn't work in our room. We were only there for a night, so I didn't complain and see if there was any remedy.

Room Tip: Some rooms have beach view. I've always stayed in the new rooms, but the historic rooms look ve...
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Deer Haven Inn
#4 of 17 in Pacific Grove
0.4 km away
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove

Been to Asilomar Conference Grounds? Share your experiences!