All reviews dining hall social hall julia morgan the main lodge historic rooms cafeteria style state park arts and crafts sand dunes conference grounds rustic charm family reunion roaring fire big fireplace rent bikes hearst castle board games
Reviewed September 13, 2017

I was here for several days for a conference which took place within the Asilomar conference grounds.
The entire property is special and unique, blending in with the natural reserve. You find yourself walking to your room together with deer and squirrels, just 2 minute walk from beautiful dunes and the Pacific ocean beach. If you need an urban environment then Asilomar may not be convenient for you. If you are willing to communicate with nature - this place is nice.

The room was large and clean, yet everything in it was very old. Nothing was broken except for the paint falling off on some of the furniture. Everything is really old, but maybe this contributes to the atmosphere. No TV in the room.

Overall this was a special experience for a little quality time outside the city.

Room tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2017

Have stayed here over the years only to see the decline of the property and worsening of the staff. I talked myself into trying Asilomar again. The desk staff didn't seem to care if you were there or not using a bare minimum approach to get you out of the lobby. At least smile and be pleasant. Exactly one employee kitchen staff on the way to another building smiled made eye contact and wished us a nice afternoon. Every business needs to be profitable and that takes talented passionate people and that starts at the top. They definitely cater to the large corporate and state conferences held here with seemingly little regard for the individual or small group dropping 200/night. Your tax dollars hard at work? Most of the property support systems are run by a large corporate concessionaire. Reference the management feedback remarks. Many others have already mentioned among other things thin walls,beat up run down furniture and rooms. No frig, microwave, TV not a deal breaker and part of the "charm" that gets you into the restaurant and property facilities. While trying to locate one of the 4 ice machines on this huge spread out property of 9 acres there was a/c on in closed up empty conference rooms, lights, projectors, door wide open in setup banquet and conference rooms; energy and environmentally conscious I think not. There was a working TV in a locked cabinet in a common area, so I asked an employee if there was access to it hurricane, earthquakes, fires, information basic stuff only to be told the only time they saw it open was when the Rangers were there. I thanked them for their time and went back to my time capsule of a room. Mold in bathroom, Windows don't slide well and don't lock. Window coverings don't operate properly. Good beds.

Room tip: At a loss be part of a conference?
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank 1000Gr8adventures
Management response:Responded September 19, 2017

Dear 1000Gr8adventures,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our grounds. I am sorry to read that your rooms were not up to par. I am very disappointed and will take action immediately.
We are aware that the rooms are dated and we are in communication with the CA State Parks to eventually renovate the rooms. I assure you we are doing our very best to refresh the rooms while preserving our historic artifacts. I hope your stay was not a complete dissatisfaction and were able to enjoy the beach, trails and nearby amenities. Again thank you for your business.

Warm regards,

Enos Esquivel

Reviewed September 5, 2017

Location to the beach, tide pools & long walks is good. My 2 night stay was very disappointing. I was placed in the bleak, back facing rooms of the Long View buildings. Bookings are made through a Park-Service reservation #, by someone who does not have experience with this unique property. Perhaps one of the historic buildings would have some old mission style charm but the long view rooms do not.

The room was clean, beds were spotlessly clean but that's about it. Everything else is worn & tired looking The property suffers from cutbacks in Park Service funding & many years of drought.

There was basic bath amenities. A clock radio was provided in the room but the static was so bad it could not be used it to tune out the sound from the neighboring rooms. The walls are not soundproof! No hot beverage maker, no small refrigerator in the room.

I was a solo traveler looking for an easy getaway. Perhaps the experience would be very different if I lodged in one of the more interesting rooms or was attending a conference.

P.S. I was not informed that there was a very large group of guests attending a silent meditative retreat who wouldn't make eye contact or say hi when addressed in the public areas. Check their schedule for this if you are booking.

Room tip: Long-view rooms that facing the back of the property are not unique lodgings. Sort of old standard motel feeling.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank fl0werfun
Reviewed September 3, 2017

Check-In was quick, efficient rather than friendly staff. Rooms were a bit old and really need updating, they were huge though felt more like a lodge. Grounds were big and very pretty, lovely walk down to the beach. No TV's or coffee making facilities in the rooms. But we stayed for one night and thought it was OK, definitely value for money.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2017

My room was huge, the decor slightly outdated but didn't matter because it was clean and the bed/mattress and the linen were all clean and relatively new. Lots of clean, white towels and flannels, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion and a powerful hairdryer. There are no tea/coffee facilities in the room, but I took my own.
I had a quiet room with a balcony in Woodside. You can hear people walking about in the room upstairs.
The food is simply amazing - very tasty and good size portions.
The staff have to be some of the best I've met on my travels; friendly, engaging and helpful and cheerful.
Thanks for an awesome experience.

Room tip: Perhaps have a room on the top level so you don't hear people walking about.
Date of stay: August 2017