All reviewsdining hallsocial halljulia morganthe main lodgehistoric roomscafeteria stylestate parkarts and craftssand dunesconference groundsrustic charmfamily reunionrent bikeshearst castleroaring fireping pongthe pacific ocean
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Just enjoyed a lovely stay here in the Director's Cottage. Our group had 19 participants staying in various types of lodging throughout the property. The location worked out perfectly for our needs. Weather contributed to the overall satisfaction level. Rooms were a bit dated and some folks were missing TV's and more updated furnishings based on room costs. The cottage accommodated 5 members of the group in 3 bedroom. A note for groups using the cottage as a central gathering spot, all bathroom facilities must be accessed through a private bedroom. The large, comfortable living room has a fireplace and seating for 10 -12 people on couches and easy chairs. The expansive deck works very well for gatherings, BBQ meals, group sessions (weather permitting) the Director's cottage is handicap accessible and the entire retreat is ADA certified.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed September 27, 2017

I am sorry to say that the lack of money for updating furniture, bath fixtures, kitchen applicances etc, added to our frustration of enjoying the beauty of this wonderful center. Were shown a map of a 4 bedroom cottage but one room had ony 2 chairs in it. They accomadated us by moving in 2 roll aways. Furniture looked like it came from yard sales. Broken fixtures in 2 baths, ants in several places. Cabinettes in kitchen in need of work or replacement. I think the poor maintenace man must be so frustrated with the constant complaints. Maybe these reviews will help convince the Calif Park Service that this property is in dire need. It could be a gem! Location is so gorgeous.

Room Tip: Rented large Director's cottage for 4 couples on family reunion. Very spacious with view and firepalce
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded October 2, 2017

Dear Nancy,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our grounds. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We are aware that the rooms are dated and we are in communication with the CA State Parks to eventually renovate the rooms. I assure you we are doing our very best to refresh the rooms while preserving our historic artifacts. I hope your stay was not a complete dissatisfaction and were able to enjoy the beach, trails and nearby amenities. Again thank you for your business.

Warm regards,

Enos Esquivel

Reviewed September 13, 2017

I was here for several days for a conference which took place within the Asilomar conference grounds.
The entire property is special and unique, blending in with the natural reserve. You find yourself walking to your room together with deer and squirrels, just 2 minute walk from beautiful dunes and the Pacific ocean beach. If you need an urban environment then Asilomar may not be convenient for you. If you are willing to communicate with nature - this place is nice.

The room was large and clean, yet everything in it was very old. Nothing was broken except for the paint falling off on some of the furniture. Everything is really old, but maybe this contributes to the atmosphere. No TV in the room.

Overall this was a special experience for a little quality time outside the city.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2017

Have stayed here over the years only to see the decline of the property and worsening of the staff. I talked myself into trying Asilomar again. The desk staff didn't seem to care if you were there or not using a bare minimum approach to get you out of the lobby. At least smile and be pleasant. Exactly one employee kitchen staff on the way to another building smiled made eye contact and wished us a nice afternoon. Every business needs to be profitable and that takes talented passionate people and that starts at the top. They definitely cater to the large corporate and state conferences held here with seemingly little regard for the individual or small group dropping 200/night. Your tax dollars hard at work? Most of the property support systems are run by a large corporate concessionaire. Reference the management feedback remarks. Many others have already mentioned among other things thin walls,beat up run down furniture and rooms. No frig, microwave, TV not a deal breaker and part of the "charm" that gets you into the restaurant and property facilities. While trying to locate one of the 4 ice machines on this huge spread out property of 9 acres there was a/c on in closed up empty conference rooms, lights, projectors, door wide open in setup banquet and conference rooms; energy and environmentally conscious I think not. There was a working TV in a locked cabinet in a common area, so I asked an employee if there was access to it hurricane, earthquakes, fires, information basic stuff only to be told the only time they saw it open was when the Rangers were there. I thanked them for their time and went back to my time capsule of a room. Mold in bathroom, Windows don't slide well and don't lock. Window coverings don't operate properly. Good beds.

Room Tip: At a loss be part of a conference?
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank 1000Gr8adventures
Management response:Responded September 19, 2017

Dear 1000Gr8adventures,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our grounds. I am sorry to read that your rooms were not up to par. I am very disappointed and will take action immediately.

Warm regards,

Enos Esquivel

Reviewed September 5, 2017

Location to the beach, tide pools & long walks is good. My 2 night stay was very disappointing. I was placed in the bleak, back facing rooms of the Long View buildings. Bookings are made through a Park-Service reservation #, by someone who does not have experience with this unique property. Perhaps one of the historic buildings would have some old mission style charm but the long view rooms do not.

The room was clean, beds were spotlessly clean but that's about it. Everything else is worn & tired looking The property suffers from cutbacks in Park Service funding & many years of drought.

There was basic bath amenities. A clock radio was provided in the room but the static was so bad it could not be used it to tune out the sound from the neighboring rooms. The walls are not soundproof! No hot beverage maker, no small refrigerator in the room.

I was a solo traveler looking for an easy getaway. Perhaps the experience would be very different if I lodged in one of the more interesting rooms or was attending a conference.

P.S. I was not informed that there was a very large group of guests attending a silent meditative retreat who wouldn't make eye contact or say hi when addressed in the public areas. Check their schedule for this if you are booking.

Room Tip: Long-view rooms that facing the back of the property are not unique lodgings. Sort of old standard motel feeling.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo