“Nice Conference Center - great location & nice grounds”

Asilomar Conference Grounds
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 November 2017

I recently attended a retreat at Asilomar and it was great! I loved their grounds - fire pit, picnic benches, social room and outside seating area, boardwalk to the beach, lots of places to sit all around. The fire in the social gathering room was so nice on crisp cool evenings. To be so close to the beach and it be so peaceful and quiet was a real treat! I also loved that they had benches to sit down along the boardwalk to the beach. It was very convenient to sit and think or journal or just enjoy the view.

I was pleasantly surprised by the food at the Crocker Dining Hall. The food was delicious and the staff was very kind and attentive! They were very well organized. They serve breakfast from 7:30-8:30am, lunch is from Noon to 1pm, Dinner is from 6-7pm. The choices were great and the food was really tasty. They had vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options. Every morning they offered yogurt, oatmeal, fresh pastries, in addition to their hot breakfast. Lunch they offered a salad or some kind of sandwich along with soup. Dinner was similar in that they had some kind of great dessert available as well. You will not go hungry.

The rooms are all in different buildings and some of them are up hills. If you have a problem walking, this location could be difficult for you. This is not your typical hotel style location where everything is together in one place. Buildings are a little walk away from one another. Some have steps, but there is always a ramp as well.

My parking lot was at the bottom of some serious steps and I had to get 2 suitcases up the steps - it was a challenge, but I did it. I was in the Lodge building. It was like an old rooming house. I believe it was one of the older historic buildings. My room was very clean, but it was dark and had dark wood walls, ceiling and floor. I had a handicapped equipped bathroom that was very spacious and I loved the walk in shower.

I found the building to be a little noisy personally. I could hear people's alarm clocks going off in other rooms. When people we in the common area playing games or enjoying the fire - you could definitely hear their conversations and it could get quite loud at times. I will say that everyone in my building was very respectful and quiet after 9pm. I could hear the people in the room above me talking and walking and it was loud. But it's a very old building and that's how things were built back then. I will also note that my allergies went crazy in this building - I think it's because it's so old. If you have allergies, I would ask to be in a newer building.

The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was nice. I only had 2 small pillows on my bed - that was different from other hotels I have stayed in. It was fine, just seemed odd to me.

The rooms do not have tv's or phones in the rooms. This is a nice way to unplug from the world and relax.

I loved the serenity of this place. I would go back.

Room Tip: I would request a room in a newer building.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
enosesquivel800, General Manager at Asilomar Conference Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear irishfaith,
Thank you for choosing to stay on our grounds. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We do our best to make the customer experience as pleasant as possible. Please keep us in mind for future bookings, and when you return, please take advantage of our free amenities. I am sorry to hear you struggled to get your luggage to your room. Next time when here please feel free to ask the Front Desk to send someone from guest services to help you with your luggage. We are here to serve.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Older buildings, lots of room to walk, great views, not the best place to stay overnight on a business trip, I attended a conference here. If you want to get away, unplug, relax, minimal activity and interaction, great choice.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear 692russk,
Thank you for choosing to stay on our grounds. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We do our best to make the customer experience as pleasant as possible. Please keep us in mind for future bookings and when you return please take advantage of our free amenities.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Historic property in the heart of Monterey Peninsula! Everyone here is friendly and welcoming. Take the tour with California State Park and you will have a better appreciation of your stay. Don't forget to check their retail store and Cafe - the selection are varied and food is delicious.

Stayed: June 2017
enosesquivel800, General Manager at Asilomar Conference Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Dear Maria,
Thank you for choosing to stay on our grounds. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We do our best to make the customer experience as pleasant as possible. I especially liked to hear that you took advantage of the amenities we have to offer. Please keep us in mind for future bookings.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Great location, great food, good service, and of course you pay the price... very close to the beach, and not very far to the restaurants/bars... it is about a few minutes drive. you might also see different animals on the ground if you are lucky. The in-room aircondition can be noisy though.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Dear MGCPH,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our grounds. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We do our best to make the customer experience as pleasant as possible. Please keep us in mind for future bookings.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

I went to this facility for a workshop. Wonderful historical location, great beach and close to town amenities and Monterey airport. They have a cafe and a cafeteria, which has great food for this style of eating. Beach is beautiful--can walk over to the pebble beach golf course. Carmel is a short ride away. No TV in rooms, so its a place to unplug. Although I went on business, it seems anyone can check in. Lots of stand alone buildings in the woods with deer, along the beach. Rooms in my building had fireplaces all set up to start a fire with just a provided match. Some attendees brought their family.

Room Tip: newer rooms are further from the ocean and I couldn't hear it at night. Older buildings have oce...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear Donna,
Thank you for choosing to stay on our grounds. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We do our best to make the customer experience as pleasant as possible. Please check our website for Leisure availabilities and take advantage of all of our amenities.

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

You choose this hotel for the location. For a person interested in architecture and Interior design this can be an interesting place since the rooms are from another era. I know that they are working on refreshing the rooms but as of my concern it adds to the charm of this place. We got a big room and got to choose from a room with a fireplace or a room close to the ocean. It is kind of nice to constant hear the sound of the waves.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
enosesquivel800, General Manager at Asilomar Conference Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Dear Annica,
Thank you for choosing to stay on our grounds. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We do our best to make the customer experience as pleasant as possible. Please keep us in mind for future bookings, and when you return, please take advantage of our free tours, sunset music series (in the Summer) and other amenities located on our website. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

This was my fourth stay at Asilomar over the past 30 years. The rustic nature of the property is it’s best asset, allowing guests to walk in forested areas as well as access to the lovely beach. Known for it’s no phone/no TV rooms, it does offer WiFi access. The roaring fireplace in the main lodge and outdoor fire pit are very welcoming gathering places. However, the rooms are looking very, very worn. The complete decor could use refreshing and while basically clean, I didn’t like finding silverfish in my bathroom.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
enosesquivel800, General Manager at Asilomar Conference Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear 5heartfamily,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our grounds. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We are aware that the rooms are dated, and we are in communication with the CA State Parks to eventually renovate the rooms. I assure you we are doing our very best to refresh the rooms while preserving our historical artifacts. I will speak to my staff regarding the bathroom incident. I assure you we will look into it.
I hope your stay was not a complete dissatisfaction and were able to enjoy the beach, trails and nearby amenities. Again thank you for your business.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Grove
Deer Haven Inn
#5 of 17 in Pacific Grove
0.4 km away
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove

Been to Asilomar Conference Grounds? Share your experiences!