I recently attended a retreat at Asilomar and it was great! I loved their grounds - fire pit, picnic benches, social room and outside seating area, boardwalk to the beach, lots of places to sit all around. The fire in the social gathering room was so nice on crisp cool evenings. To be so close to the beach and it be so peaceful and quiet was a real treat! I also loved that they had benches to sit down along the boardwalk to the beach. It was very convenient to sit and think or journal or just enjoy the view.
I was pleasantly surprised by the food at the Crocker Dining Hall. The food was delicious and the staff was very kind and attentive! They were very well organized. They serve breakfast from 7:30-8:30am, lunch is from Noon to 1pm, Dinner is from 6-7pm. The choices were great and the food was really tasty. They had vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options. Every morning they offered yogurt, oatmeal, fresh pastries, in addition to their hot breakfast. Lunch they offered a salad or some kind of sandwich along with soup. Dinner was similar in that they had some kind of great dessert available as well. You will not go hungry.
The rooms are all in different buildings and some of them are up hills. If you have a problem walking, this location could be difficult for you. This is not your typical hotel style location where everything is together in one place. Buildings are a little walk away from one another. Some have steps, but there is always a ramp as well.
My parking lot was at the bottom of some serious steps and I had to get 2 suitcases up the steps - it was a challenge, but I did it. I was in the Lodge building. It was like an old rooming house. I believe it was one of the older historic buildings. My room was very clean, but it was dark and had dark wood walls, ceiling and floor. I had a handicapped equipped bathroom that was very spacious and I loved the walk in shower.
I found the building to be a little noisy personally. I could hear people's alarm clocks going off in other rooms. When people we in the common area playing games or enjoying the fire - you could definitely hear their conversations and it could get quite loud at times. I will say that everyone in my building was very respectful and quiet after 9pm. I could hear the people in the room above me talking and walking and it was loud. But it's a very old building and that's how things were built back then. I will also note that my allergies went crazy in this building - I think it's because it's so old. If you have allergies, I would ask to be in a newer building.
The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was nice. I only had 2 small pillows on my bed - that was different from other hotels I have stayed in. It was fine, just seemed odd to me.
The rooms do not have tv's or phones in the rooms. This is a nice way to unplug from the world and relax.
I loved the serenity of this place. I would go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This refuge by the sea is a tranquil oceanfront retreat cradled by pine forests and white sand beaches. Situated along the shoreline of California's famed Monterey Bay, Asilomar offers historic lodging with views of the forest, surf and sand, plus unique conference spaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Asilomar Conference Grounds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Asilomar Conference Grounds Hotel Pacific Grove
- Asilomar Conference Grounds Pacific Grove
- Asilomar Conference Center
- Asilomar Hotel