“Close enough to all needed things, and a quick get away!”

Motel 6 Palm Desert - Palm Springs Area
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed 7 August 2017

I was travelling from Phoenix to L.A. and I needed/booked a place to stay between those two cities after my visit to nearby Joshua Tree State Park (about 50 miles to the east). I was nearing the end of a 14-day drive throughout the Southwest that included stays at two other Motel 6's in Fresno and Barstow, CA., and, as with most of the hotels I stayed at during the trip, my needs were basic: hotel/motel clean, moderately priced, and close to the major highway I would need to hop onto to get moving along the next morning.

Across the board, Motel 6 Palm Desert met my expectations, and then some.

I had no idea Palm Desert was a hidden golf and tennis mecca (it's where the Williams sisters honed their skills when they were young ones), and but so an unexpected run to the nearby golf range was crammed into the next morning's activities. (Due to the multitude of courses in the area, this small town has TWO driving ranges.)

In addition, and I can verify this because I walked to it, there is a shopping center within 5 minutes. And, get this, though I arrived (10 PM) just after the kitchen closed at the nearby Legends & Icons Pub they allowed me to bring in a sandwich purchased from the grocery store across the parking lot.

So, if nothing else, this Motel 6 is close to useful things: grocery store, pub, and gas stations, as well as unexpected things: driving ranges, tennis courts, golf clubs, and a fairly fantastic view of the nearby mountains.

My room was small, comically so when compared to the size of the TV monitor on the wall. The room was spotless, towels clean, and the water...hot.

For the moderate price, it was exactly what I needed: no issues, at all.

Oh, and one last positive note, I left a cell phone charger in the room, not noticing that until I'd finished off a bucket of balls at the nearby driving range after I'd checked out. I called the motel and the girl at the front desk said, "I have it in hand."

So, there's that: honesty. The cleaning people could have easily just kept the charger or thrown it away, but they brought it to the front desk.

Well done Motel 6, again.

Room Tip: You could ask for a room on the north side, away from the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 April 2017

Not bad, but they charge significant extra for Wifi (who does that?) and the wifi is only for *one* device, and then it doesn't work in the morning. Trying to squeeze every penny? It wasn't *that* cheap. I'd go somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2017

When we first entered the room at check in, the floor felt gritty with dirt, but we were willing to overlook that, as we were exhausted from our work day. However, on our fourth night stay my wife was awakened with tiny black bugs on her pillow, neck & chest. We felt it was too late into the night to switch rooms, so we killed them and tried to go back to sleep. It happened a second time, bugs on the pillow, closer to the time we were set to get up. We also found several on the floor by the window, on the bath room floor and in the tub. That morning we checked out a day early. After explaining why to the desk clerk we were asked to fill out a form as to the reason we were not completing our 5 night reservation, rather then being offered an apology for our discomfort, and some form of compensation for our inconvenience.

Room Tip: Don't know if there are any good rooms
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank robertjH5340FL
Reviewed 17 October 2016

My friend and I stayed at this motel for 3 nights while attending the Desert Trip music festival in nearby Indio. The motel was clean and the location right off the 10 freeway was very convenient. It was about 9 miles to the venue, and the drive was easy. It suited our needs and the price was right. We used the pool during the day. My only complaint would be no free wi-fi.

Stayed: October 2016
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

We stopped here after being on the road a while. Although not what we normally like, it was clean. The towels were so thin, wish there was a Walmart would have bought a new towel and washcloth, (they only gave you 1 washcloth, I guess we were suppose to share. Only one nightstand even though we had a queen. Bathroom had been renovated but with hodgepodge pieces and was very small. It was clean. No refrigerator which we are use to when in the dessert. The WIFII was not free first time I have seen a hotel without free wifi. AARP members do get it free.
All things considered it was clean and room was not in front so a little quieter.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

Room was dirty, went to celebration wearing black dress pants. Sat in motel 6 chair and it was covered on dust, towels were stained, bedspread stained. Air conditioner fan only worked on low in ovet 100 degree heat. Negative experience here

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2016 via mobile

My grown son and I stayed here two nights while hiking Whitewater Preserve area. My room needed to be re-keyed four times and almost never worked. Have you ever carried luggage to upstairs room and been frustrated to learn key doesn't work and need to go all the way back downstairs to get new key? Well this happened to us repeatedly over a 48 hour period.

We were in room 244, I think. First room on top floor on west side of building. I recommend NEVER taking that room. Numerous people at front desk did not seem to care. They said they would have maintenance fix but it didn't got better. They gave me an alcohol soaked card to put in key slot to clean it as they said problem happens when dust blows. I wonder how many others have to make trips to office over and over! No-one offered us another room or warned us about problem.

I would have rated them "terrible" except room was clean and it was definitely a nicer Motel 6 than others I have seen. However, key problem seemed almost disrespectful. When I told front desk person that I was going to write a review about chronic key problem, she did apologize for my inconvenience and my numerous trips up and down the stairs.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family