“dirty dirty dirty !!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“dirty dirty dirty !!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Upon arrival the hotel lobby looked quite nice a little 70s retro but i guess that was the look they went for. I am a hyatt gold passport member so my preferences are known, high floor and must be a non connecting room, so I was given a mid floor and connecting hmm. went back down to the front desk to change rooms, i am afraid that i cannot remember the gentlemans name who helped me he was very nice but he did take around 30 minutes to find me a non connecting room which turned out to be a handicapped room which was not suitable as everything ( understandably ) was way too low. He had said if i didnt lke this he could offer me a twin room on the top floor but in the time that it took me to have a quick look at the handicapped room it had been given to some one else !!!! any way i eventually settled on a room which overlooked the pool from the bedroom and the street and the hotel bar on the front. The suite was a decent size but very cleverly photographed on the website but that is where the good points end. the suite was filthy i mean seriously filthy, the bathroom smelt of urine which meant if the door was kept closed for any length of time the odour nearly knocked me over. I asked the young lady on the front desk if she could have house keeping go up and give the suite a thorough clean as is was dirty and smelt, she seemed to find this quite amusing but said house keeping would go and have a look !! nothing ever happened, I decided to just stick with the suite as it was only a few days stay so what the hell. The day before i was due to check out i called down to re confirm my limo to take me on to LA ( having already done this prior to leaving the uk by email and phone but i thought just to be on the safe side ) yes sir all taken care of and the person also read out to me where the confirmation had been sent to.....all good....maybe not... after checking out i asked the front desk to call me when the limo arrived. Ten minutes after the limo should have arrived i called down to see what was happening and was met with who did you book it with, any way to cut a very long story short i was told the car had not been confimed WHAT !! another car was then booked, by this time i was running over 1 hour late but no big deal i guess. I asked to speak with a manager and was told ( the age old line ) that as it was a saturday there was no manager on the premises, after shouting i spoke to the front desk manager who i asked for her to come and chat with me about my issues at the hotel. She was very friendly and polite and agreed with all that i had said including that the room was very dity and that the hotel had completely dropped the ball with the limo, she refunded me two hundred dollars and offered me a complimentary two night stay at the hotel, which i thought was really very good. She offered to send me the voucher through the mail. This arrived and was simply the voucher in an envelope no letter of apology or any kind of recognition at all not great. The limo driver was very nice and friendly however the car was not a limo as i had expected but an ordinary car but at least it got me away from the hotel.
Even though I have received the hotel voucher I really do not think that i would return to this hotel. Be warned !!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank djh2601
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Our first priority is to deliver the expectations of the guest. Unfortunatley we failed you in delivering that promise to you. I did some research on this and found out that the limo was not confirmed due to the fact that a credit card was supposed to be used to finish the confirmation. Our front desk agent that helped you with these arrangments over the phone assumed that you were going to call and secure payment. I'm very sorry for any miscommunication on our part for this. I was happy to hear that our Front Desk Manager tried to make it right for you. Thank you for the feedback as it helps me identify areas that need attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Hyatt was very nice with a very friendly staff. We had a nice room overlooking the main street. The breakfast was very good. We are members Auto Association and received free breakfast when we booked. Overall. a nice stay.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
All the way from Sweden just to stay with us? Fantastic! I'm glad that everything went well and you enjoyed the hotel and Palm Springs. Now....I want to go to Sweden - I was there once in the early 80's and had a blast - some of the friendliest people in the world. When you come back to America..stop by Palm Springs...we'd love to have you stay with us again.
Friday Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

The staff is what really makes this hotel. The two people that stood out for me were Martinelle at the front desk. This gentleman waited for me after his shift was over to answer what I considered to be a trivial question. Way beyond the call of duty.
Alfredo, a server in the restaurant was warm, gracious and full of good humor. A nice stay in a nice hotel but the people make the difference.
The valets (I sorry I forgot your names!) were also very cool. I picked up some good softball tips for my daughter!

Room Tip: Choose the mountain view for less street noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
You can teach employees the technical skills they need to do their job...but you cannot teach them how to be friendly - it just comes naturally and the individuals that you acknowledged are some of the best on the staff. We take our time selecting the right people for the job and it's nice to hear the positive feedback we receive on a daily basis from our guests. Many thanks for staying with us and for posting such a wonderful review! Come back again soon!
Palm Springs, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

The Hyatt Suites in Palm Springs was totally renovated a few years ago (its first renovation in 30 years!!). Having stayed there numerous times in the past, it was nice to see a change from the 80's decor and to get a chic updated take on the mid-century decor so popular in Palm Springs.

The lobby and public spaces are open, with splashes of color. Multistory draperies add additional dimension to the atrium restaurant. The rooms have been updated in dark tones and my only complaint is the replacement of the dining table and chairs. There is no longer a place to share a meal or play cards.

The location is wonderful! Steps from shops and restaurants in Palm Springs. no need for a car! The weekly Village Fest (Thursday evenings) is right outside the hotel!

The only drawback is that on weekends the pool area is both crowded and very noisy- other than that, it's a GREAT location and a hip vibe!

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are beautiful and overlook the private O'Donnell golf Course but also are ov...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank PSMan
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
I'm so glad to read that you enjoyed the new renovation. We put alot of time and effort into spending the dollars in areas that would greatly enhance the guest experience. It definately is not your typical "box" hotel. It's fun, inviting, and has a wonderful vibe. Add to that the location of being right downtown - it's the perfect place to leave your car in the garage and experience Palm Springs by foot. Thanks so much for staying with us and I hope you come back soon. We just opened our new outdoor patio restaurant and bar - HooDoo! Live entertainment on Friday & Saturday nights coupled with great food and service make this one of the hottest places on Palm Canyon Drive. Cheers!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt for 10 nights. Overall, we had a pretty good experience.

Check-In:

We arrived at the hotel at about 1:45 p.m. to Check-In. We were given Room 526 which was a King Mountain View. We were told that the room would not be ready until 4:00, as that is when Check-In officially starts. When we got back at 4:00, the room was ready as promised.

Room:

All of the rooms at this hotel are fabulous. Every room is a suite, and they all have a living room with a pull-out couch/bed and a bedroom with either two double beds or one king.

Breakfast:

We ate breakfast at the hotel a couple of mornings at the Share Restaurant. They have a huge a-la-carte menu, or you can choose the buffet. The buffet is only $18.00 a person for unlimited food, which is pretty good. I would highly recommend it.

Service:

The staff were very friendly and always doing their best to help. The only thing that wasn't up to par was their speed. It often took at least 25 minutes for something to be delivered to the rooms (tea bags, towels, shampoo, etc.)

Now the downside, the noise:

The reason I did not give this hotel 5 starts was because of the noise. The walls between rooms and the hallway are very thin. If you are sleeping in the pull-out bed in the living room, you will most likely be woken up at 6:30 by breakfast downstairs; we definitely were even though we were on the second highest floor. As well, there was a dog in the room next door who was howling one night for hours on end, and we were way too tired to move rooms. Luckily, the matter was dealt with the following morning. I don't know why the hotel doesn't designate Floor 2 for pets, and leave the other floors for just people, so light sleepers like me could have a good nights sleep. As well, we could sometimes here people talking next door. This whole problem can be avoided by simply bring earplugs, which I would HIGHLY recommend.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt (minus the noise). If you are a light sleeper like me, you really should bring earplugs. Once you have the noise situation worked out, I'm sure you will love this hotel, just like we did.

Happy Travels!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1234j
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
It can be challenging at times to keep our guests from making noise when we are all sharing one big house. It's unfortunate that you had experienced noise from your neighbors but I am happy to hear that your 10 days at the property were overall very good. We have a new Food & Beverage Director who made some fantastic changes to our breakfast buffet and it's always nice to hear positive feedback - especially when we change things up a bit to provide a better experience for the guest. I will be sharing your review with the entire staff and I thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback.
sf bay area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Good location, nice and roomy suites, very convenient for restaurants and shopping, good service. What else can we ask for?

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Overall this is a great stay and the price was right. Will return again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Our housekeeping department works very hard on a daily basis to provide a clean environment for everyone and I appreciate you taking the time to recognize this. I have already shared your review with them and it made their day. Many thanks!