“An almost perfect little, boutique!”

The Saguaro Palm Springs
Ranked #36 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Saguaro this past week and were pleasantly surprised by the outstanding service given by the staff there. Since I've already headed this review, "almost perfect" I'll simply explain that the service and value are excellent, and that the negatives the hotel suffers from are in no way to do with their staff or day to day operations.

First off, if a hotel review was based purely on service, friendliness and attentiveness, the newly remodeled Saguaro would win first place. The staff is warm, pleasant, quick to action, and extremely accommodating. The things that don't work about this hotel have frankly nothing whatever to do with the level of service. Rather, they have to do with the fact that this hotel was very, VERY cheaply remodeled from a former Holiday Inn, and once you reach your room, it becomes quite apparent why and how. This is somewhat surprising and disappointing because I've come to expect more from a Joie de Vivre hotel. But, this is not the fault of the staff, who frankly are tip top as far as I'm concerned. So read on to see why I still think this hotel has a lot to offer!

Here are the bullet points:

First, the staff is awesome. Young, friendly, and very accommodating. When we arrived at the hotel we were given an early check-in, and because the magnetic key maker didn't work and we had to wait around for an extra 15-20 minutes and then switch rooms, we were upgraded to a suite. Bravo! However, this happened because they were using the junky, old, Holiday Inn machines which were apparently very temperamental. Joie de Vivre, come on. Upgrade your front desk equipment. That being said, the weird machines were once again, completely separate from the staff, and Michael at the front desk placed us in a wonderful upgrade and comped our poolside drinks, (which was above and beyond the call of duty). Well done and a great way to get new visitors coming just after a soft opening! Believe me, this is a motivating factor for a speedy return.

When we made our way down to the pool, initially it seemed somewhat understaffed, even at a mid-week, 30% occupancy. However, we're early risers and were down around 7-7:30am daily. Once the staff began to make their way around, they came over and over to refill drinks gratis and check in on us. Again, there probably should have been more people working, and yet those that did were excellent!

As far as the food, what I sampled was also very, very tasty. However, I'm a vegetarian, so that limited me to fries and olives, but my husband loved the burger. I can vouch that what we had was super tasty and not inordinately expensive.

Okay, on to the rooms: And here's where the Saguaro trips up. The aesthetic is really cool on the outside as well as in the lobby. Basically, a mind-century modern take on minimalism, but all done in a hue of extreme, "skittle" colored bright paint. (If you're familiar with the Jewish-Israeli artist Agam, you'll know what I'm attempting to reference). Everything in the lobby and on to the rooms is brightly colored in giant splashes of block pantones.

When you reach the rooms, they are laid out simply with modern, heavy cotton bedding. (A big plus, no gross duvets). The walls and couches are all done in bright, single color blocks of purple, orange, red, lime and yellow. But... the Holiday Inn must have had paper thin walls because you can hear EVERYTHING from room to room. This means that you have to run the AC all the time to block out the hallway noises and murmuring. Also, while the decor idea is cute, there's basically none. Meaning, the colors adorning the walls are fun, but we stayed in a suite and it had a bed, a couch, and a single, computer desk. That's it. No decor, no other design elements. Just very, very spare. It feels like they did a basic remodel by repainting everything and then just--stopped. I hate overcrowded rooms but these really need a little more oomph to pull off the crazy color scheme. Also, no robes. Limited toiletries, (although the Lather products were great--just very small for consistent shampooing after pool time). Additionally, the hotel has installed these very cheap, no-name plasma tv's and they have weird wires coming out of the front panel. This also makes the room remodel look cheap, but that's fairly incidental.

The good news is that for a boutique, the room sizes are very comfortable and not at all cramped. Also, the safe is decently wide sized to fit multiple laptops and wallets--always good. Most boutiques make the safes way too small. The wifi is a little spotty but that's also not a big deal. Hopefully if you arrive here, you're on vacation anyway. Plus each room has a balcony and that's a really attractive component at night when you want to sit out but not leave the comfort of your room.

I suppose my main point is that this hotel is on the way to being great, but Joie de Vivre has to be honest about the level of care they put into their remodel. We found they had shut down to change over the hotel and renovate in November, and had reopened under new management in February. Even for a small operation of 245 rooms, 3 months is perhaps a little too fast to work out all the kinks. For example, we arrived at our room on the 2nd floor, and clearly there had been some sort of major roof leak that had created water damage. The 2nd floor smells musty and moldy, and there's a huge water stain right near the elevator. You can track the flooding right up into the third floor, where we switched into our suite. No odor, but the wallpaper had water ripples already. Clearly, there was water damage and the hotel just painted over it and crossed their fingers. OK as far as the top floor but avoid floor 2 until it's aired out.

So, overall, excellent staff. Great service, super nice people at the restaurant, front desk, housekeeping, and pool. The rooms really need work but they're a good size and very pleasant. The hotel just needs to sink a bit more time and money into finishing a lot of detail work and then this place will be perfect. Overall, I would love to come back and see what they accomplish because I had a great time.

2  Thank NoaBolozky
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear NoaBolozky,
Thank you for your detailed review with both positive and constructive comments. Most rewarding is to hear about the great interaction you had with our staff recognizing our staff. It is true we have accomplished alot in a short time, and with feedback such as your we feel we can move from good to great.
David Curell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed 25 February 2012

During Modernism Week we spent one night at The Saguaro because it looked "hip and cool." We were lured by the colorful building, the "1970's motel theme" and the location. But in short, our feedback is - don't bother. My husband aptly named it The Ikea Hotel - the furniture, while appearing stylist from afar was cheap and fake. The colors quickly faded....our room was spacious and did have luscious towels and sheets but the location was noisy, you could hear EVERYTHING from neighboring rooms, the front desk staff were rude and aloof and we were sad to pay $200+ for one night of cheesy. Howard Johnson would have been a better bet.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor so you don't hear suitcases rolling by from the parking lot.
1  Thank NonaKim

Dear NonaKim,
Thanks for your comments about your recent visit. Glad to know you enjoyed the linens and spacious accomodation but concerned everything was not to your complete satisfaction. Feel free to contact me at dcurell@jdvhospitaliity.com to discuss.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

I love Palm Springs and I really wanted to like this hotel. First of all there are so many things that still need to be worked out that the rate shouldn't be more than $79. a night (the rate the ACE charged when they opened). The bright colors are fun for about 5 minutes and then it's just headache inducing. The music at the pool is hideous. Think garage band, mixed with odd folk music blaring through bad speakers. The pool was cold. The Jacuzzi jets were broken. The chairs are comfortable but there are so many crammed into a very small pool area that there is no privacy/relaxation. We went to the pool again in the evening and no one had come to clean up all the dirty glasses and towels from earlier in the day...
Pet friendly = you can bring your pet but there are NO POO BAGS anywhere so there was dog poo everywhere in the common areas. The restaurants are not pet friendly. The staff was nice but it was impossible to find out about all the amenities (which are not free but 'included' in the not optional 'resort' fee because all they could say was I dunno.
We stayed in a double room and there was only one nightstand between the beds?? and the pictures are misleading as the room was quite small. The walls are paper thin, and the sliding doors seem like they are the original from who knows when. (And like another person posted you can't unlock them from the outside so you would have to go out the back and walk around the entire block to go to the pool.
It's promising but no where near worth the rate they are charging.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear VacationSession,
Thank you for writing regarding your recent visit While the bold colors are not for everyone, hopefully there is a hue to please almost everyones taste. It is true we are pet friendly but as you may be aware only service dogs are permitted in restaurants. As we continue to enhance and improve our services we hope you'll consider a return visit. Feel free to reach out me to discuss your visit at dcurell@jdvhospitality.com

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Less is more...What a great place to soak up some sun! Incredible mountain views. The rooms, pool and atmosphere are modernistic and only what Palm Springs can serve up. Great food and drinks. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Third floor for the best views
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I was really looking forward to my recent stay at this hotel. It's a uniquely redesigned hotel with bright, vibrant colors everywhere. The lobby is very minimalist- a slab concrete floor juxtaposed with splashes of color on the walls. It seemed rather stark. The rooms themselves are nice enough-the beds are super comfortable and the towels ultra soft. However, I couldn't help but notice the peeling and bubbling paint in the bathroom, and missing light fixtures. Underneath the paint is wallpaper from when it was a Holiday Inn. There are a few design flaws in the rooms (entrance light switch located behind the door upon opening, and not enough lighting and outlets), and other kinks to work out. The pool area is fun, with a wonderful view of the mountains. The staff is excellent- I found most to be very friendly and helpful. Overall, I was happy with this hotel and would recommend it for those who aren't looking for 4 or 5 star quality.

Room Tip: We had a mountain view room, and the view was beautiful. The mountain was right there in front of us...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Dearr monkeylvr,
Thanks for your review. It good to hear your appreciation for the redesign of the hotel. Your comments are important to us and we are in the process in correcting some decorating deficiencies. I'm pleased to hear that overall you were happy with the hotel and that the staff were friendly.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We were so looking forward to our four star resort for a girls weekend away. What an immense disappointment. Tacky and Garish are two words to describe this property. They certainly left out the "L" in luxury. First off the smell of paint is overwhelming in the brightly colored rooms and corridors. It is your basic holiday inn dipped in brightly colored paint. For a two nite stay, we paid almost $600, $58 of which went to a resort fee. There is no resort. The pool area looks like the childrens section of IKEA. We have an expression in Ireland "Mutton dressed as Lamb", which about describes this hideous property. Breakfast at Jose Garces, Tinto was a disappointment, the portions are miniscule, and when we left, we were all still hungry. We also had lunch poolside, while the hamburger was excellent, the tuna salad sandiwich came on a mini croissant, two bites and it was demolished. The coffee at seven eleven is better and stronger. I also feel that staff should wear a name tags. This is not a resort that can be improved upon, no space to expand. I could not wait to leave and will never return. All I can say to perspective travellers is to stay away from this property.....You will not enjoy it....

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Geri D

Dear Geri D,
Thanks for your comments. It's true the bold colors reflected in the design of the hotel are not for everyone. Many hotel rates in Palm Springs are subject to a resrot fee. Our fee includes, complimentary shuttle service, wifi, morning yoga, in room coffee & tea, complimentary bicycle rentals, and fresh lcoal fruit. Clearly your visit didn't meet your expectations. I would grateful to discuss your experience with you. You may contact me at dcurell@jdvhospitality.com

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed at the hotel to celebrate my birthday and found it so colorful and vibrant. I just loved all the colors around the pool and rooms. The rugs were a deep purple with orange furniture and walls which I know doesn't sound good but it all blended well. The bed was comfortable, towels soft. Having stayed at other JDV properties the hotel still has some kinks to work out. We couldn't seem to set the Ipod clock to the right time and there could have been another chair by the table in the room. The pool area was very colorful with its vibrant colors and well designed space. We didn't try El Jefe's tequila bar but had dinner at Tinto's restaurant. Our server was very helpful in ordering Tapas and choosing a meat platter, cheese platter and the truffle soup which is to die for. Although the restaurant is on the pricey side every item was fresh and delicious. It had the BEST SANGRIA I ever tasted.

Room Tip: Try getting a room facing the pool area.