“Great value if you get a good rate.”

The Saguaro Palm Springs
Ranked #37 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 23 May 2012

It's not the Parker so don't expect 5 star, but I thought it was a fun get away weekend. Not peaceful, but fun. Only complaint was breakfast. Too expensive for the selection and the morning service is the pits. Dinner is excellent though. Bring ear plugs if you are sensitive to noise and I wouldnt book outside rooms that face the street. Otherwise all good!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank TrevisoBettiol
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Glad we could show you a great time! I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our breakfast. I'll definitely discuss this with our kitchen, as well as our servers. Thanks for your honesty. I hope to see you again next time you're in Palm Springs!

David Curell, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I spent the weekend (5/18-20/12) at The Saguaro Palm Springs and had the most amazing time. I frequent the Palm Springs/Palm Desert at least 2-3 times a year trying out new hotels searching for the perfect location to relax and recharge. I believe my search has ended and my permanent PS hotel is The Saguaro.

From the moment we arrived, Rosa the front desk clerk, greeted us and made us feel exceptionally welcome. She was genuinely cheerful and pleasant and informed us of all the amenities the hotel offered. The rooms were perfect! Clean, bright, and colorful, (just like the hotel) yet the colors are complimentary and not at all overwhelming. I do not agree with the previous complaint about noise from the pool area in the morning. In fact we were astonished at how sound proof the patio doors were. The pool music is loud enough for all to enjoy yet not be overpowering that one cannot have a conversation in a normal tone and without having to yell over the noise. The cleaning staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly as well.

If I were to complain about one small item was the poolside breakfast. I completely expect to and am comfortable with paying a premium on food at a hotel and specifically served poolside however the very small $9 breakfast burrito, with just eggs & chorizo, came without a side of fruit, fries, or anything. Or if had been slightly larger or stuffed with rice & beans to would have felt like a complete meal. Unfortunately I was left unsatisfied with my breakfast.

Regardless of this extremely minor glitch, not only do I plan to return before this summer is over, this may very well be the location for my 40th birthday party which is just around the corner.

All-in-all, we had a wonderful time at The Saguaro and will be back before this summer ends.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise or go to bed early, do not get a poolside/view room.
1  Thank LilHonu
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

We're proud to be your favorite Palm Springs hotel! I'm thrilled that your stay was so comfortable and relaxing. I'm also glad that you enjoyed our vibrant colors — their energy is sure to put a smile on your face! Our staff is wonderful. I share this with Rosa and everyone else so they can hear your kind words for themselves.

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your breakfast. We would never want you to be left unsatisfied, so I will definitely discuss your experience with our kitchen to see how we can improve. However, I'm happy to hear that you'd like to celebrate your birthday with us! We'd be thrilled to help make the most of our your day.

Thank you for reviewing us. We're looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 20 May 2012

I had this trip planned since January, but was stood up! Considered cancelling, and I'm so glad I didn't. Read many reviews and am so glad I didn't pay attention to them. This one was of the nicest hotels ever. The rooms are bright and colorful (I did request a green room but did not get one) and I loved it. The carpet is purple and brand new! The bathroom tiles are new. Really loved the aromatherapy bathroom items. Nice mini fridge and safe in the room. Bed was awesome and the air was nice and cold.
Crowd at the pool on Saturday was loud, but that's to be expected. I didn't care for the loud techno music, but maybe I'm just getting too old.
Will definitely be back. Now, heading down to try El Jefe! Hope it's as awesome as the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Glad we could show you a great time! You certainly have an eye for detail. I'm delighted that you were so impressed with our new renovations and toiletries. I hope you were just as happy with El Jefe! Thanks for the lovely review. Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

This was the 1st time we were in PalmSprings and didn't know what to except. The Saguaro is convenently located to be able to enjoy the town. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a suite which was well appointed with a balcony overlooking the pool. The colors that were used were taken from the dessert flowers and were bright and colorful. The mountain in the back ground added to the wonder of the colors. We had a wonderful time and would return without hesitation.
We cannot forget the wonderful restaurant, great food and service was excellent. The ambiance was impeccable

2  Thank jjenci
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

I'm glad that helped we make your first trip to Palm Springs a pleasant one! You're right — the view of the mountain is absolutely breathtaking, especially against the backdrop of our vibrant colors. El Jefe and Tinto are both fantastic restaurants. I'm thrilled that you had a chance to give them a try. Thank you for the kind words. We hope to see you again next time you're in town!

Reviewed 16 May 2012

We knew before we booked this was an old hotel redone. 24 primary colours and more modern. I went with my best friend, my teenage daughter and her bestfriend.

Upon check in, we were greeted by a very friendly employee. I love how they have little signs with bios about the person checking you in. We were given cold clothes to cool down and flavoured water shots. We were advised about complimentary yoga at 9am and free bike rentals. We then headed off to our room, we could tell this was an old hotel painted up. The elevator was slow but, it was clean. The hallway was scruffy. We opened our doors and to our surprise we were met with a very clean and LARGE room that faced East Palm Canyon Drive. We had more than enough room for 4 girls, there was a safe, fridge, desk, dresser with a flat screen tv, a bistro set for two and a balcony.

We loved the pool area. It was clean and, again we were met with friendly staff.

We called front desk so many times with questions as we went along. Each time we were met with friendly helpful staff. I told them 4 girls in one room for the weekend would require more towels. Within mere minutes we were given more towels we would need!!

We never heard any neighbours, and we slept very soundly in our comfy beds.

Upon check out, again met with kindness and friendliness - and a cold water bottle for the road.

I loved this place and I have recommended it to everyone. Its not posh, but its clean, happy and the staff are genuine - that can't be trained, that is from hiring good quality people.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay for a cabana room or be facing the inside at the pool. I took an exterior room an...
1  Thank Jody M

Jody,

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I'm glad that you found your room so well appointed, and with a beautiful view! I'm thrilled to hear that you were so pleased with our staff. They really are fantastic, and I will certainly pass this along so they can hear your kind words for themselves. I know they'll appreciate it! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful, detailed review. We hope to see you next time you're in Palm Springs!

Best,

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Read in the Advocate that the Sarguro Hotel was the place to be for Dinah Shore Weekend. This was not true. Our room was dark but, with an amazing mix of wild colors, not very relaxing. In the morning we were awaken by Music from the pool. Many families and kids around the pool area. Where was Dinah Shore weekend fun? The staff in the Bars and restraunt were friendly. Prices were a little high. The colors used on the hotel take a little time to get used to. They grow on you after a while. We still had a good time here though.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside looking at the Mountains are quieter than pool side rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank bslay3

While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I'm sorry that you were disappointed with us during Dinah Shore weekend. We did not reserve the hotel for the event, so many families were with us on this weekend. Again, I apologize. We will certainly take this into consideration when planning the festivities for next year. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I hope you'll give us another chance to impress you!

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed here on night, May 12. I paid only $65 on Expedia's "you don't find out where you're staying until after you pay" deal and it was totally worth it. Unfortunately, if I had paid the $200 they were asking on the regular site I'd have been REALLY upset. I felt bad for the people I talked to who paid much more.

Not that it's bad, it's just not worthy of a "4 star" rating and price. The rooms feel cheap and sparse (though the bed and linens are great.) The towels were really nice, but not enough of them. The walls are thin. The attention to detail on their remodel is just not there (paint already peeling in the bathroom, hallways beat up, small slow elevator.) The sink was in the room, not in the bathroom (maybe because I was put in a handicapped room?) not enough counter space. Clearly, the stuff they couldn't change easily they just painted a bright color and hoped no one would care.

It is what it is- an old economy hotel that's been repainted and redecorated. The pool area is too small for the number of people who what to be there. The service at the pool is slow and haphazard, even though 3 different managers seemed to be there over the afternoon (finally I just went up and got my own drinks- sulky 22 year old girls just don't like working hard I guess.)

They close the pool service and music at 5pm, when it's really nice to be around the pool in PS (a little cooler, sun lower, not dark until 7:30 anyway, etc.)

The restaurant is awesome and really makes the rest of the place look bad! Beautiful, great food, good service, just a bit out of place at a hotel that isn't as nice as the hotel. I'd love to see that restaurant at the Parker, Viceroy or another "cool/nice" hotel in the area. Definitely not a boring "hotel restaurant." The bar "Jefe" looked great and had a much simpler menu (tacos, etc.) The house margarita tasted weird, but that's totally subjective! Still, another great touch.

I didn't have any "wild party" issues, but I could see how that could be an issue anywhere the price is right for young people (lord knows I did it back in the day.)

It was disappointing to see paint already peeling in the bathroom. Clearly the painters didn't pull the masking tape off at the right time and didn't care to do any touchup. Sloppy and careless.

Note, there is a mandatory resort fee of around $20. I point this out because this doesn't feel like a place that would have one (no valet parking, no gym, no newspapers, etc.). I guess it does have wifi, but I didn't use that or the yoga class. A separate (mandatory) resort fee is BS from any hotel, but that's a different post.

They were offering Sunday and Monday nights at $89 to "extend my stay." I'm guessing because it's new and the season is ending they are needing bookings pretty bad. I'd expect to continue to see them on Hotwire for a good rate, just note they are a likely 4-Star place.

Room Tip: Pool view would be pretty loud on a weekend I'd guess, but some of the first floor pool rooms op...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tom R
SaguaroPS, General Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Tom,

Thanks for giving us a try. We always enjoy hearing from our guests, especially those who write thoughtful, thorough reviews like yours. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your room. I will have our maintenance team take a look so that we can correct these issues.

It's unfortunate to hear about the service at the pool. You should never feel like you have to get your own drinks, and I apologize. I will share this with the staff to ensure that they are remaining gracious.

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed our restaurants! They both reflect the flavors of the desert perfectly. Chef Garces is truly an inspiration, and it's a pleasure to have him on our team.

Thank you for providing such constructive feedback. There is always room for improvement, and it is input like yours that inspires us to do better. Thank you again. We hope you'll give us another try next time you're in Palm Springs.

Best,