“Good happy hour prices, skip the food”
Review of Maracas

Maracas
Ranked #46 of 318 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Maracas Cantina serves delicious and unique Mexican cuisine with emphasis on fresh ingredients and great flavor. Our restaurant is the perfect place to relax with the family or to enjoy the company of friends. Our courteous staff is always available to answer any questions about our menu offerings as well as ensure a pleasant dining experience. Come in and try one of our fantastic dishes, homemade desserts and perfect margaritas. Maracas Cantina also features a selection of over 100 Tequilas. Enjoy Maracas Cantina all day with an all-day happy hour at the bar at Rancho Mirage 4-7pm Palm Springs. Come see what's shakin!
Lubbock, Texas
“Good happy hour prices, skip the food”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The have a great location for people watching and enjoying the weather as well as some great happy hour drink prices. However, we didn't care for the food. We actually ended up here two times. Once was the first night in town and it was the first place we saw. We didn't like the food much but found ourselves back again on Thursday night when every place had a very long wait due to Village Fest. We ordered something different and were again disappointed. This seemed to be on par with TV dinner mexican food. However, chips and salsa were good and service was good as well.

Visited March 2012

Seattle area
“More than just a gourd filled with beans!”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Only reason Maracas doesn’t get 5 stars is because of two restaurants that are a level above (but are not in Palm Springs). Guadalajara’s in Tucson, and Café Olla in Puerto Vallarta. So 4 stars overall but 5 stars in Palm Springs.

Normally we look up restaurants in trip advisor prior to heading out so we can eat smartly. We didn’t do it this time, and it still paid off...this time. Maracas has a great outdoor atmosphere, with seating loaded with those newer design propane heaters (see pic) that have an element of art as well as function to them. Its location is also ideal for people watching. The tables are a little close but not uncomfortable, but have no expectation of a quasi-private conversation. The tables themselves may be a little small if seated to full capacity. We sat at a 4 top, but to squeeze in 4 people would be very uncomfortable. So given this, I would say this restaurant is not geared towards mid to large groups without arranging something with the staff ahead of time—which I would suspect they would do for you but may take a little time.

My opinion might be different if I sat inside. Peering through the window the inside looks like any other Mexican restaurant.

Hostess was very pleasant, we asked for an outdoor table with heaters. Waiter was prompt to take our drink order (critical element to keep the customer happy if other things go awry). We never felt rushed, and service was attentive.

The menu has a great selection and mix of things. After scanning through other peoples comments, I’m surprised and the negative ones. Ours was quite top notch. We had the Mango Seafood Salad, and the Skirt Steak. Both were extremely well executed. We asked for the dressing on the side. But as usual Lisa creates her own dressing asking for some pico de gallo and salsa. Awesome. The pico was very fresh and tasty.
The skirt steak was absolutely tender and cooked medium rare as asked. The seasoning was to perfection. I was very impressed. To cook a skirt steak medium rare seems to be a challenge for many Mexican restaurants, and the tenderness was over the top. Get that with 2 sides of chipotle mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables, makes a well-rounded complimentary ensemble.

(Ate there a second night ordered the skirt again, but with spinach and mashed potatoes. Skirt was as excellent as the first time. The spinach was oily. I wouldn’t order the sautéed spinach.)

We also split a shrimp cocktail. It was reasonably priced and adequately filled with shrimp, cucumbers, onions and maybe another vegetable or two. The cocktail sauce was more tomato based and typical. The amount of shrimp was adequate, not overly impressive but not underwhelmed either. It was fair and met expectations as such.
So I can’t comment about the other people reporting on mediocre food, but those two meals were excellent. And compared to eating at Las Casuelas the next night (see other review)…Maracas is far superior.

Drinks

Ordered the house margarita and a bloody marry. With the expectation of ordering a house margarita it was quite good. It had a good balance of sweet-sour mix (i.e. not over done). You could taste the tequila. So after 5 days in Palm Springs, they and The Falls Prime Steakhosue have the best margaritas after testing (Renaissance, Village Pub, Las Casuelas). The bloody mary was average. Nothing to report there, except it seems that bloody mary’s in palm springs are served with olives and not celery or cucumbers, which I prefer. BTW, I never asked for an alternative so don’t know if they would or could.

Sorry photos are a little fuzzy. Night pics no flash. iPhone camara pics.

• Visited March 2012
Gold Beach, OR
“Average”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We ate dinner here March 4 and it was just okay. I ordered the chicken tostada salad with dressing on the side but it came dressed. The waiter brought it to me anyway and said I know you wanted the dressing on the side I could take it back, but he made no attempt to pick it up so mealy mouth me just kept it. I hate someone else putting too much dressing on my salad, just a pet peeve! My husband enjoyed his meal so if we go again I will be a little more assertive!!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank OrSunshine
Irvine, California
“Nice to eat outside but the food was not that good”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We ate here based on reviews but I was disappointed. It was nice to eat outside and enjoy people watching but the food wasn't anything to shout about. The service was slow. I wouldn't go back.

Prince George, BC, CANADA
“Delicious”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We made reservations, got in right away, people were lined up outside. We sat outside with the heat lamps, lovely atmosphere. The food was delicous and the prices were reasonable.

• Visited February 2012