“Great if on a budget and fantastic value for Palm Springs....but keep in mind this is still Motel 6”

Motel 6 Palm Springs Downtown
Ranked #49 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Chicago
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I stayed here based on the other reviews and the price. Finding a room in Palm Springs in March for under 100 dollars is impossible.

My stay did not start out on a good note. I tried to check in and the said the system would not recognize my debit card. The girl at the counter was not very apologetic about the situation. I had to treck across the street with all of my luggage to an ATM to get cash for one night. (wasn't about to pay for my whole stay just yet) I have NEVER had a problem with debit card anywhere. (Yes, this still Motel 6. The probably have this policy because of the thugs that stay here)
Then after check out, I was walking to my room and someone was stumbling down the stairs puking (yes, this is still Motel 6) I was considering leaving then and there...bit did not want to start my trip off looking for another hotel.

The room was small but fine. I thought it was clean, basic and relatively quiet. One morning I was woken up by someone yelling, but other than that sleep was ok. I'll give them this....they do a good job of patrolling the hotel with security at night. I think they know that people party here.

I decided to stay for my whole trip even though the hotel seemed scetchy. I did not feel comfortable walking to my room at night. (yes this is still Motel 6)

The location of the hotel is pretty good. There'a great breakfast place across the street, The Palm Greens Cafe. .Starbucks is only two stores down. Rite Aid is down the block. The gay bar strip is an easy walk a way...5- 10 minutes. There an even closer gay bar, The Tool Shed, right around the corner.

Overall...great value for Palm Springs...but after all...don't let the other reviews fool you...it is still Motel 6..

Room Tip: Do not think about paying with debit card.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank one4music658

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2011

If you are familiar with the history of Motel 6 you will know that it is a budget, no frills motel designed for inexpensive maintenance and cleaning. You will get towels, face cloths, bath mat, soap, toilet paper, TV, phone and plastic cups and nothing more. I have always found them clean and comfortable. What is special about this one aside from its exterior appearance is its closeness to the main street of Palm Springs. You will keep the car parked in its free parking spot and walk the main drag for shops, restaurants and bars; extremely convenient. The pool is a nice size with hot tub and heavily used in the nice weather. Three ice machines spit out enough free ice to keep guests happy. Laundry facilities and vending machines are available on site.

You will pay $2.99, no tax, for 24 hours of internet from the time you log in, if you are not lucky enough to be in a room that picks up free internet from elsewhere.

My room by the pool was quiet and smell-free. My only complaint was that the sink tap had multiple thin sprays of water making it difficult to get a good rinse of the toothbrush or fill quickly a cup; probably a water saving device. Tall people would find the shower head too low.

Because of its location many people tend to stay more than one night. I spent 5 nights there and enjoyed it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Clamato
Kissimmee, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Ok, it's a Motel 6, but one of the better kept ones, and since it's located in downtown Palm Springs, it is the best value for under $70 a night. We have stayed here several times for the gay Pride Parade & Festival in November, and the Renaissance fair in March, over a period of 4 to 5 years, and it is always clean, well kept and accepts pets at no extra charge!
There's a pool and a spa located outside, with plenty loungers and patio chairs.
So, if you want clean and affordable, and centrally located, this is your best bet in Palm Springs.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seamere
Seattle
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I normally stay at a motel up the street, but the reviews of this place intriqued me. From the reviews this motel got, I was expecting a little more. It is simply a Motel 6, with a better than average location.

Pros-Staff were friendly enough. Early check in allowed. Noon check out.

Cons-Rooms are really small. So small that many of the people staying here move their table and chairs out into the walkway to sit.
Pool was advertised as heated, but was not, at least not very much. It is also much smaller than it looks in pictures.
Luggage being rolled on the walkway above the rooms is LOUD first thing in the morning.
No amenities such as shampoo. 1 bar of soap for the room.
They nickle and dime you. Charge for Wi-Fi, extra charge for more than 1 person, etc.

Overall, I cant complain because it is simply a motel 6. I would not stay here again, as there are nicer accomodations for the same price or less close by.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank tatterdema
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 29 January 2011

I had just had almost all my belongings stolen, and the hotel was repeatedly calling for me to be out in fifteen minutes, instead of thirty (the overnight clerk had said late check-out would be fine...12:15 isn't exactly pushing it on a weekday). If they had just let me continue assessing what was stolen and what was present, I'd have been out on time.

Even before checking in, the rear elevator closed on me and would not open. There was a witness. If I'd been elderly, it would have been problematic. As it was, the manager denied knowledge of it, though one of the clerks knew exactly which elevator it was. When I tried to show them, they considered me "paranoid" (and also, because I had just bought a classic car and requested a room change to watch it, as the thieves knew what I had just purchased). THE MANAGER CALLED THE POLICE BECAUSE I COMPLAINED ABOUT THE CONSTANT CALLS. AS IT TURNED OUT, THE ROOM NEVER RENTED, ANYWAY.
I'm not used to budget hotels, but realize their place in the world. THE MANAGER'S EXCUSE FOR CALLING THE POLICE, WHEN I WAS ALREADY HEADED TO THE STATION TO GIVE A LIST OF THE ITEMS STOLEN? TALK ABOUT IRONY. "We have to watch out for the safety of our guests." Really? Then why is there not a note or "out of order" sign on the elevator?
The other employees were very nice and accomodating....even refunding the second night's stay, evn though I was packed and ready to go by 12:30. It's been a week, however, and not even a "pending' charge is showing on my bank account. They say it takes ten to fourteen days. Well, the robbery wasn't their fault, but if I'd stayed, I wouldn't have had to go UNDER MY BANK ACCOUNT... it would have been nice to have been told it would take that long...i've never heard of such. I will be pressing harrassment charges against the manager, as it is a ridiculous waste of time to call the police in a resort town that has its share of serious crime...most won't tell you this.....the locals will.
PAY THE SAME PRICE AND STAY AT THE CALIENTE TROPICS DOWN THE STREET....IT DOESN'T COST WHAT MOST SITES SAY....IT'S USUALLY LESS THAN 50.00 A NIGHT, WITH TAX. IT'S A SECRET GEM, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR WI-FI.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank HurtANGRY

Travellers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 January 2011

As a proponent of the "StayCation," I can now add this Motel 6 to my list of places that are close enough to home (1.5 hours drive), clean and cheap, and close enough to the action. This hotel was surprising in its design, since its exterior cleverly disguises the fact that it's a basic motel. When I say basic, i mean BASIC... but for 40bucks total, I couldn't have asked for a more convenient place to lay my head and dip into a jacuzzi. Since it was winter, there was no pool traffic and I had the place to myself. Could there have been more ambiance? Sure, but that's what the other more-expensive places are for. There was an added perk since I was able to pick up a free wi-fi internet signal from the nearby Starbucks. The attendants were very helpful and extremely friendly. They knew they were working at a 2-3 star place, but they treated us like 5 star people (something all hotel industry professionals should learn to do). As for the town scene, Palm Springs is bite-sized compared to any major city (and some master planned communities) so there was really nothing too far to drive to, and most was within walking distance. Since the whole town seems to shut down at night, don't look for much nightlife outside very specific locations. The Motel 6 now offers 'room service' which consists of a list of vendors who will deliver to the hotel. Not exactly room service, but not exactly the worst thing either, since they are trying.

As for the rooms: They are small (it's a Motel), but just large enough. The rooms are clean, and the showers are fantastic with piping hot water and high pressure. Someone installed a bowed shower curtain which nice...although the old-style tiny soaps and limited toiletries could be improved. The towels were clean but also old-school small, and the TV was just that, a TV...I don't think i could even find a local channel on it. Luckily i was sleeping soundly before I noticed.

Bottom line: visit the boutiques if you must, but if you want to get away and have a nice clean place to stay - this is it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 December 2010

When I got in at 5am I was not awaken by noise at 8am...or the cleaning people....and the AC always worked and the water hot and the staff was always polite and non-judgmental to us Gay folks....
PS:And my pooch was happy to.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple