“Overall, a pleasant, classic resort -- unmatched landscaping, pools, hot tub.”

Vista Grande Resort - A Gay Mens Resort
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We have stayed here several times in the past. Our mistake this year was paying too much attention to the negative TripAdvisor reviews. We originally booked another, higher rated resort nearby which was nice, but so boring that we moved to the Vista Grande. And we were glad we did, because we enjoyed this resort so much more.
Pluses: lush tropical landscaping, two very nice pools kept at comfortable temperature, a very large hot tub and steamroom (probably largest in PS) near the waterfall, new sauna, classic mid-century architecture style.

Some of the negative reviews are puzzling, citing problems with the rooms or staff that we have never encountered over several visits. The staff have always been friendly and responsive and I hope that hasn't changed.

If you have to have everything 21st century and in perfect order, then this isn't the resort for you. I think some of the complaints about the decor are based on lack of appreciation or understanding of mid-century architecture and style in PS, which is part of the charm and uniqueness of this resort. For example, a complaint about "60's kitchen" obviously completely misses the point that it is SUPPOSED to reflect that style -- and even older. The kitchen cabinets and counter in our unit were 1950's (clean and functional) but the frig and range top were relatively new. The bathroom had an old-fashioned resistance wall heater (disconnected) that was left because it fits the decor. Much of the furniture in the rooms is eclectic, one-of-a-kind and even 'campy' style meant to reflect an older era.

That being said, there are two areas where the resort could improve its image and guest satisfaction: (1) there is an overall lack of attention to detail. All of these are really minor in themselves but they tend to add up, giving an overall impression of neglect. Examples: (a) a light switch plate in the entrance was missing a large corner -- fixing would have cost all of 50 cents. (b) Broken outdoor lighting plastic fixtures lying in the landscaping beds -- I counted at least 15 while casually walking around the grounds. Why not remove or hide these?
(2) a tendency to keep some furniture and items beyond their useful life. Examples: (a) Most of the TV's are old tube or projection models -- some may still have good pictures but others should have been retired long ago and upgraded. (b) A pile of pool floats had several new ones on top and several others at the bottom that were thoroughly cracked, deteriorated and useless -- why not throw out the old ones? (c) One of the lounge cushions by the pool looked like it had been attacked by an angry cat --- the others were fine, so why leave the shabby one?
It would help if someone with fresh eyes would make a thorough review of the condition of the rooms and facilities -- I suspect most all the items would be largely cosmetic and not expensive to correct or update.

Generally, the room, grounds, and facilities were clean. The room was serviced every day, including vacuuming the rug and plenty of fresh towels. The continental breakfast is pretty basic, especially during the week, and could be improved.

As pointed out by other reviewers, they no longer have day passes and only a few locals are allowed, so the resort is not as 'active' as it used to be. However, All World's Resort right next door does have day and night passes. As far as the clientele being "old", the gay clientele in many PS resorts has aged over the past decade or so, so this is not unique to Vista Grande. While we were there, the age range was mostly forties thru sixties, with a few in the 30-40 and >70 range.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
13  Thank IQ140
There are newer reviews for Vista Grande Resort - A Gay Mens Resort

Reviewed 1 June 2011

I booked my trip last minute... and I'm a difficult and experienced traveler. I have never stayed at this type of resort before... that said, front desk manager James made me feel welcome from the time I called, all through my stay. He was thoughtful and sweet despite the fact that I had to change rooms three times (my own fault since I booked 5 days prior to arrival)

I've stayed at the finest hotels in the world... this is not one of them. However, it's Palm Springs and an old 60's building. There's something for everyone here, they don't allow random people on the property, it's a good place with a good manager. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank aguyinthe818
Reviewed 26 May 2011

The room was disgusting, old worn furniture. I could only think of bed bug epidemic when I looked at the linens.

Then I looked up and saw the tell-tale trail of blood that advertised IV drug use recently in the room.

Quite horrific, actually.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank CarmineMangione
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Bob is retired so things are changing...and not in a good way. There new manager and front desk person has no people skills. I have gone there numorous times and he won't carry on a conversation. He is now the face of the Resort which is your first impression. The Resort itself has beautiful plantings which does nothing for the condition of the rooms. They buy new bed comfiters periodically to try and make the room lookn new which doesn't work. It is old and needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. I personaly would not stay there. There are to many nice places.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank bluebirdie2
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Grounds are nice. The manager (who apparently lives on site) is extremely arrogant. Talks down to you, not helpful. One of the rudest pepole I've ever come in contact with, and I travel a lot. Unreal that he has a job there. Can't believe owners keep him on. Leaves a very bad taste to come back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stevemankc
Reviewed 23 April 2011

This is by far the best male resort in palm springs. The staff is friendly and try to make your stay enjoyable. This is one of the only resorts where you can still cruise and get some action. The giant steam room is HOT! The gardens are gorgeous. Some of the nicest I have ever seen in Palm Springs.

Room Tip: the nicest rooms are in the back of the resort.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ttimm28
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I have stayed here previously and have always had a nice time. This was my 4th or 5th visit. This time, I convinced 3 friends to join me and the stay wasn't up to par. This staff was reserved at best, downright unfriendly at worst. During previous stays, Bob, who I believe was the owner was there each morning. He'd take guests around to show off the beautiful grounds and really seemed to take pride in his resort. He went out of his way to make his guests feel welcome. I believe he's recently retired and this place misses his touch. The other guests weren't as friendly as during my prior stays and were DECADES older than I've experienced in before--many easily in their 70s and 80s. That mattered little to me. I was there to be with my friends, not to carouse around the property. If that's your intention, this is no longer the place to go, especially as they've eliminated outsiders to visit the property in the afternoons.

The grounds are beautiful. It's the main reason I stay. Not nealty manicured or staged, the foliage of this resort remind me more of a Key West setting than one in the desert. Gorgeous plants bordering on overgrowth that make this resort's outdoor setting stand head and shoulders above many Palm Springs resorts.

The rooms themselves though leave A LOT to be desired. Fairly reasonably priced but in bad disrepair. My bathroom was missing half a handle for the shower and had significant mold in the tub. Paint was peeling badly off the bathroom wall and the sink made a loud "thunk, thunk, thunk" whenever I turned it on. In one friend's room, dirty kleenexes were left in a vase upon check-in and their semi private balcony was filthy and totally unkempt. My third friend had a large slab of the carpeting in his room missing and the patch replacing it was about 3 inches too narrow, baring the subflooring. Some of the repairs could be quite expensive, like replacing plumbing. It would cost a minimal amount to address some of the repairs though (replacing carpeting in a room or handle in shower, removing mold, etc) and they were just left neglected.

One other disappointment was there was no water filtration system on the grounds. There is an ice machine which is nice and a drinking fountain which looks like it's about to disintegrate. Still, with the pipes sounding like they were going to explode each time I turned a faucet on, I didn't want to drink from the thing! Y ou'd think they'd have a good bubbler or at least a fountain with filtration as it stays in the 90's and 100's a lot of the time in Palm Springs. Hint: buy some distilled water at the local Ralph's.

So if you're only interested in beautiful grounds, this is the place to stay but at least based on my recent visit, I am very sad to say I cannot recommend it for any other reason. Again, as I stated in my title, Vista Grande/Mirage is a VERY mixed bag and I imagine for the price of the rooms, other places might be a nicer stay. I've included photos with this review -- both good and bad. Please view them so you can make the best decision based upon your needs.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends