“Charming hotel with some quirks” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colony Palms Hotel

Colony Palms Hotel
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Seattle
“Charming hotel with some quirks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We recently stayed here for 4 nights, and I've debated whether to give it 3 or 4 stars. It is a beautiful and charming hotel, with a lovely pool and excellent restaurant. We had a casita, which had a completely private patio with a jetted tub as well as a lounging platform with cushions. Taking a bath outside without the chemicals of a hot tub was wonderful! We also played a game of croquet which was set up on a section of lawn. The bed was exceptionally comfortable with luxurious linens. Now, for the quirks: The "high speed" wifi service was so slow that we gave up on it, using 3G instead. On our last day, the staff reported that they had been having trouble with it but it was fixed. It still did not work. There was not even one basic chair in the room. lf you wanted to sit down, the bed was the only option. The room was beautiful, but there was very little drawer space, so I ended up hanging some things and otherwise living out of the suitcase. The room safe did not work, and the towel rack fell apart. I asked for a postcard to send someone, and the staff member I asked said she thought they should have postcards, but they didn't. Then I asked if they could mail some postcards I had written, and they could only do that if I had my own stamps, so I was given directions to the post office. I just felt like this hotel could try a little harder. That said, we did enjoy our stay, with the caveats I mentioned.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lsmitty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

My first visit to Palm Springs. I was attending a conference, and selected the Colony Palms based on previous reviews.
WOW, this place is absolutely beautiful. It's a surprise when you first pull up to the hotel, it's circa 60s from the curb, but once you walk in, the weight of the world is left behind. The grounds are an Eden-like paradise. The fragrance is intoxicating, the pool is beautiful; a rectangular shape that is in the center of the garden. There are private coves for sunbathing as well as fluffy chaises by the pool. There's a tented area that has an "Arabian Nights" feel to it - lots of cushions and tables so you can lounge out of the direct sun. The pool and hot tub are 24/7 access. No worries, my room was near the pool and I didn't hear a thing. The restaurant is very good, I recommend eating there. My room was a decent size; queen bed, very comfortable - HUGE bathroom and excellent bath products. I searched for a speck of dust and came up empty-handed. I have just ONE gripe, and this is true all over Palm Springs: horrible wifi - if you need to work, bring your own network. I ended up at the Palm Spring library for a reliable connection. I'm not remotely exaggerating, I couldn't read email off my laptop, consequently my phone was dead by noon.
Other than that, stay here, you won't regret it. I'll be back soon!
A few other thoughts: I took the aerial tramway, which is super cool. If you want to take a memorable hike, try the Andreas Canyon loop. It's in Palm Springs. Ask for directions - it's amazing. This hotel is walking distance to downtown Palm Springs.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 16, which has a large bathroom. First floor toward the back of the hotel. However...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank VFan2z
san diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

First time at the Colony. Stayed for 3 nights and had a wonderful experience. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The pool is perfect. Stylish and classy, yet very chill. The guests were all very friendly as were the staff. The food at Purple Palm was incredible. Recommend the Salmon and Chicken... and the hummus is a MUST. It was just a very peaceful and enjoyable experience all around and we would go back for a longer stay. We didn't realize it was dog friendly, so next time we will even bring the "puppy".

2 Thank gblades
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Just returned from 4 days for at The Colony Palms, our first time there. The hotel grounds are very lush and the lay out made it feel intimate. Even though it was fully booked you never had the feeling of being crowded, quite the opposite. The pool area is right off the restaurant and is the heart of the hotel. We spent a fair amount of time poolside and the jacuzzi was perfect at night. The Purple Palm was really good and considered one of the best restaurants in PS. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated in a morrocan/mod/vintage feel and the beds were super comfortable. The staff was always friendly and helpful and the valet had our car to us in minutes! My husband surprised me with a beautiful flower arrangement and bottle of champagne upon arrival and they handled this little surprise perfectly. All the guests were friendly as well and the whole experience was relaxed, luxe and a bit decadent. We're already planning to return at the end of March and can't wait.

1 Thank oddmom
Woodland Hills, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is our first visit of the year! Already have a reservation made for the month of June! We visit The Colony Palms, several times a year. We only had time for a quick "breather" and spent one night, but, felt as if we where there a week! Upon check-in (Thank You, Jason, for always taking such good care of us!), I had scheduled a massage at the spa with Roxanne. The BEST ever Swedish massage I've had (since the last time I was there!) We had a wonderful dinner (always do) at the Purple Palm. Outstanding as usual! Thanks, again, Colony Palms! Truly, our home away from home!

Room Tip: Love the rooms in the Garden Area!
The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

rooms / gym pretty basic but fine. first time i have taken home toiletries - . great in room bar wish i was a bigger drinker. very relaxed slightly louche, intimate atmosphere wasted on a couple whose 8 yr old managed one to negotiate final family holiday before parents sign the big d docs. restaurant as good as any - had a few but could have eaten any meal there and been happy. easy walk to anywhere. if i slid into a como here i'd be fine with it, would i house the staff post tsunami - yes. very pleasant week congratulations cph on making a mountain out of a molehill. highly recommendable even in 'winter' (even the weather was amazing).

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I was at the Colony Palms in September and it was super hot out. There was not enough shaded loungers at the pool to go around and there were no extra unbrellas. You had to wake up very early if you wanted a lounger in the shade. The pool is beautiful though, great temperature. The Purple Palm is nice, right next to the pool and the wait service is attentive, you wont go hungry or thirsty. The food was okay, nothing great. They do have baskets of towels and cold water next to the pool which is awesome. The room was nicely furnished and spacious enough to be comfortable. The bath products were nice also, CO Bigelow. A good tip - you dont have to always valet the car in the front. There is some parking around the back of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends