New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and 1 more site!
Country Inn
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Utah
“RESERVED AND CONFIRMED ROOM GONE ON ARRIVAL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

ROOM GONE! After making reservations 4 ½ MONTHS in advance for a 4 night stay for the Stanford graduation weekend and CONFIRMING again 5 days before our reservation date, John (the owner) said everything was fine. At about 9 PM, Friday June 10th and 30 minutes before our arrival, we called from our car to let him know we were almost there. To our shock John fumbled around for a moment and then said there had been an emergency, our room was unavailable due to construction, he was very sorry, but our room was unavailable and wasn’t ready. No motel owner in his or her right mind would be under construction during the busiest weekend of the year. All rooms in Palo Alto under $250.00 were booked months in advance. Most hotels had no rooms left regardless of the price. Where were we supposed to go now? He suggested the Aria next door. Luckily they had a suite left because it was more expensive than the other rooms. We took it anyway and were grateful we didn’t have to sleep in the car. We’re convinced he was impatient with our late arrival and gave our room to someone else. This was beyond thoughtless, inconsiderate and poor business practice; it was cruel.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank rlsr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Modesto, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

This property is a nicely landscaped one star motel. The rooms have garish lighting, queen size beds with the thinnest of pillows and low quality sheets and blankets and the walls are thin. All of these items would be forgivable if the front desk staff would have been the least bit helpful and responsive.

Allow me to explain further:

I stayed at the Country Inn Motel on January 11, 2011 for one night. The single room with a queen size bed cost $76 plus tax. After a very long day of work, I checked in at 10:30 PM to room 14 hoping to go strait to bed. The hotel front desk clerk explained that he was giving me a room that was in the middle of being painted but was clean. Indeed the the bathroom was 1/2 painted.

I went to bed at 10:45 PM. At 10:50 music and laughter began coming from the room next door (room 12). As time went on, the noise became louder. At 11:15 PM, I made the first of several calls to the front desk asking them to contact the occupants of room 12 and tell them to be quiet. I left several messages, nothing was done. At midnight, I took matters into my own hands and went next door and knocked on the door. I was shocked to find a group of unchaperoned teenagers having what appeared to be a party in the room. I asked them politely to turn off their music and be quiet. They turned off their music but continued to laugh and carry on in a loud manner. Needless to say I was not able to go to sleep until they went to sleep.

The next morning I went the front desk at 7:10 AM to check out. I explained the situation and asked why there was no response to my calls to the front desk. The front desk clerk said that she knew the kids in room 12, they were the children of a visiting instructor who was also staying in the motel. She informed me that the front desk does not answer the phone after 11:00 PM, therefore nothing could have been done. No apology. No offer of refund. Nothing.

This begs the question: What type of motel puts minor children in rooms that are not adjoining their parents? What type of motel is treats the customer who complains so rudely?

Like I said in the beginning of my review, the grounds are landscaped nicely. The rooms are basic. The costumer service was non existent.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Marie Jonathan
denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

This motel was one of the places recommended on the accommodation list included in the Stanford alumni reunion invitation. I am glad I stayed here. Over the three nights I was here, two maids did a wonderful job keeping the room spick-span. Their towel origami was very impressive! Although the motel is on El Camino and I like open windows and a quiet night, traffic noise was minimal. The room included a Continental breakfast at the reception area and even offered fresh fruit. The motel comes with a swimming pool with long opening hours. It's less than a 10 minute drive to Stanford. A Walgreens is v. conveniently located just up the road. The staff was very efficient, accommodating and ensured that my stay was pleasant. I had originally reserved for two adults and a child and the receptionist was most flexible and changed my reservation to one person (and was most considerate in adjusting the room price to reflect a smaller room than I had originally booked). The room price is v. reasonable. If you like a soft mattress, you'll like the bed. I brought my laptop and the high speed Internet worked without a hitch. If you are attending your alumni reunion up the road and want an uncomplicated, pleasant place to stay, I suggest you consider reserving at the Country Inn motel. Thank you for a v. pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

Average stay. Rooms clean but as the sun was shining on the roof, the first floor room was very hot. The ceiling fan did spin, but did not give a breeze. No AC. Large industrial size fan provided in room but was extremely noisy. Kitchenette smelt a bit funny too.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Fountain Hills, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

We have stayed here many times and each stay we find something we like about it more. Barbara and John manage everything well, and they care about their tennants. The units are clean, good location, and the grounds beautiful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

After reading some of the reviews on trip advisor I thought this may be the perfect place for me to stay a night while I prepare for a month of treatment at Stanford medical center...Was I ever wrong. When I had called and explained my situation to the man taking the reservation he assured me there would be no problem with accomadating me while I transistion into an apt the next day...The woman (evidently the owners wife) who checked me in, was less than friendly. I had asked about the Indian restaurant next door and her first reply was " I don't know I don't eat that kind of food". I then had to ask what she had heard and her reply was I think its good. After my chilly check in I asked if I could have my bags taken to my room...she said "you can do it yourself your bags have rollers". I told her no I cant do it myself..without explaining my rare spinal condition she may have known it would be difficult for me as I hobbled along with my cane. Her husband then begrudgingly took my bags to the room. The room was fair, clean etc although Id have much rather stayed any where but there after being treated the way i was. It seems the only good treatment I got was when he was taking my credit card over the phone. The next day i had asked if I could have a check out of noon since i had to wait for the ADA bus, she again quipped "NO" I am totally full. i asked if I could wait on the lawn and all of a sudden when some guests heardthe conversation she then said " well okay I guess you can stay till noon, no later". At this point I couldn't wait to get out of there. At around 11 I had to ask the maid help help me take my bags outside since I was too afraid to ask the owners.
Bottom line: this was not what I needed coming to Palo Alto with a serious medical problem. Maybe it was just me but this was a horrible experience! I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank FYI202
Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

i stayed here recently for 3 nights in palo alto for a rate that is hard to find anywhere, let alone the san francisco bay area. i was more than happy in my queen bedroom with a large bathroom and great service. the sweet couple that owns the establishment bring their european hospitality to the place. there is a pool in the courtyard, and rooms with kitchenettes are only an additional $15, bringing the rate to only about $100 per night! their maid has been with them for 20 years, granting added trust and security. the only downfall was the sugary continental breakfast which offered fruit, yogurt and pre-packaged breakfast rolls with coffee and tea. on the upside, there are plenty of great places to eat within walking distance. the indian food next door is recommended as well.

Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
0.4 km away
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
#9 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Country Inn? Share your experiences!