All reviewsoatmeall'occitane toiletriesfreshly baked cookiesel caminofree snackshot breakfastconverted moteltoilet and showerbusy streetparking lotlittle extrasopened the doorstay there againparking areaevery morningstarbucks coffeequeen bed
Reviewed June 11, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Zen Hotel. Friendly front desk staff, comfortable bed, well-appointed room, super clean, snacks and bottled water at no cost in the room, delicious breakfast, great location, great value. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Zen_Hotel_Palo_Alto, Front Office Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2018

First and foremost I would like to thank you for choosing The Zen Hotel for your most recent visit to Palo Alto. We greatly appreciate the wonderful feedback and kind words regarding your experience with us. I am so happy to learn you enjoyed our many in-room amenities and our personable customer service. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back real soon. Please let me know if there is anything I can personally do for you.

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

Zen Hotel puts the “boutique” back into boutique hotel. A tiny, intimate facility with an Asian aesthetic, I did not get a chance to fully enjoy. I arrived close to 10pm in the dark, pulling into a car park not much bigger than one in front of a large home. The gentleman at the desk had me checked in in less than a minute and was very friendly, professional and efficient.
The room was simply but elegantly appointed with nice touches (my previously requested firm pillows, which I’d forgotten about); L’Occitaine toiletries, a body scrubber; Starbucks coffee and free snacks. And an easily managed Directv remote, unlike the usual hotel set up that you can’t find your channels on. I had to check out at 7am - there only 9 hours- so I didn’t get a chance to try the free breakfast but it looked a higher quality than one would find at the chains that mass produce their breakfasts buffets, indistinguishable from one chain to the next.
Convenient to relatives in the area I will consider this hotel in the future.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Zen_Hotel_Palo_Alto, Front Office Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2018

Dear MomoB4665,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. What a fantastic review! I am so delighted to hear we made such a wonderful impression in the short amount of time that we were able to host you. I agree with you that arriving at 10pm, the last thing you would want is to have a time-consuming check-in process. I am glad we were able to get you to your room quickly. The amenities we offer our guests, from our L'Occitaine toiletries to the snacks inside of your room, and our personal service is what builds the individual connections with our guests. Being a family-owned hotel, we value our repeat guests and love when new guests become regulars. Please let me know if I can assist you with any future bookings. Thank you once again for the wonderful review.

Reviewed May 21, 2018

Was super impressed with this hotel. Everything was redone, they offer complimentary snacks, and complimentary full breakfast including: bagels, smoothies, bacon, eggs, sausage, french toast, the works!! Everyone was so friendly. They went out and got beer and reese's for my boyfriend's birthday (I requested it, but it was so nice that they accommodated). Parking lot was easy, nice tv in room, lovely robes in the room, coffee in the room was good, shower was amazing. Overall we were so so so impressed, and will definitely be staying again when we are back in the area in July!

Room Tip: Even the rooms in the parking lot right by the lobby were quiet
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Zen_Hotel_Palo_Alto, Front Office Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2018

Dear Kelly W,

I would like to thank you for the wonderful review regarding your visit with us. We were delighted to assist you in making your boyfriend's birthday memorable with the requested beer and candy bars. I am happy to learn you enjoyed our many amenities that are made available to all of our guests. We are glad to know our service and product has made an impression on you and we look forward to your return in July. Please let me know if I can assist you with anything for your future bookings.

(650) 493-4492

Reviewed May 6, 2018

Stayed here recently for visit to Stanford University -- great small hotel with charming exterior and nice staff. Lovely smoothies to go for breakfast in addition to a full breakfast buffet. Rooms have everything you need and are updated. An oasis in a bustling area.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Zen_Hotel_Palo_Alto, Front Office Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2018

Dear Megan S,

I would like to thank you for providing such a wonderful feedback regarding your visit with us. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed our amenities, service, and proximity to Stanford University. The smoothies are definitely a popular item among many of our guests. We hope to become your home away from home when you make another visit to Palo Alto. Please let me know if I may assist you with anything.

Reviewed April 18, 2018

This is a motel with rooms adjacent to an outside parking area--think old school motel. This was fine as they make the parking lot look nice and keep it clean. Friendly people. Cookies on arrival and our room had complimentary snacks and upscale toiletries. Room was clean. Bed was good. White bedding and comforter clean. Breakfast was typical. Room is very small but they make good use of space. They provide wireless and it worked well. My only complaint is the noise. We could hear outside road noise from our room all night long. AND, we could hear the tv in the room next to us along with the voices of the people talking which was very annoying. In the morning, our neighbors woke up early and we could make out the conversation. So, if you are a light sleeper, take ear plugs or be prepared to turn on a white noise app. If I am being completely honest, I would stay here again but would exhaust other options first, as I want a quiet, restful sleep when I travel. The Zen should probably offer ear plugs on check in.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank WisKim
Zen_Hotel_Palo_Alto, Front Office Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2018

Dear WisKim,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with a feedback regarding your experience with us. I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed the many amenities that we offer our guests, from our full buffet breakfast, L'Occitane bath products, as well as complimentary cookies and snacks. Most importantly I am happy to learn that our staff members were able to provide you with exceptional service.

I am sorry to learn about the challenges you faced with getting a good night sleep due to street noise from El Camino, as well as neighboring guests. We do have locations on our property that are quieter, away from the main road. We are continuously looking into options to enhance our guest experience. Although we do not place a set of earplugs inside of each guest room, we do have them at the Front Desk when we have a request. We will look into your suggestion of adding them as an in-room amenity prior to guest arrival.

Once again I thank you for your feedback, Should you need any assistance with reservations in the future, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you.

650-493-4492