“Blueberry Pancakes with Family”
Review of Joanie's Cafe

Joanie's Cafe
Ranked #6 of 371 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 September 2016

You know when you wake up in the morning and you KNOW exactly what you want to eat for breakfast? Well for me on this particular Friday, it was pancakes. More specifically, blueberry pancakes. My husband and I were meeting family for breakfast at Joanie's. I haven't been here in years and they moved to a new location since my last visit. It's a larger space which always makes me happy to see a business doing well. We were running late so when we arrived, my mother and brother in law were seated already with coffee in hand. Our waiter noticed our arrival and asked if we wanted something to drink, both ordered coffee and water. I love it when staff members are aware of their surroundings and notice when customers arrive and serve immediately or within 2-3 minutes of their arrival.

After reviewing the menu and catching up with family, we placed our order --- blueberry pancakes (extra powdered sugar on the side), granola w/fresh fruit, poached eggs with hash browns and a veggie omelet.

Blueberry pancakes had fresh blueberries in them (not on top) drizzled lightly with powdered sugar. They served me 3 large pancakes. I finished 1/2 of the order. Rating -- 9/10

Granola w/fruit -- The portion was larger than I expected, fruit was fresh. I would opt for a smaller bowl. My brother in law is a healthy eater and finished 2/3 of the bowl. He also ordered 1 whole wheat pancake, which was pretty tasty. Again it was large, filling up the plate. Rating --- 7/10

Veggie Omelet -- Packed with veggies, hash browns were made well (not too crispy not undercooked). Good size portion Rating -- 7/10

Poached Eggs, Corn Beef Hash and Toast -- Eggs were poached medium, great portion of corn beef hash. Rating 8/10.

Overall, we love this place and would come here again. There are times that I wish we can place a half order because in all reality, who can eat that much food in the morning. I failed to ask for a smaller portion and generally I do. A lot of times, I'll ask for a kids portion and have them charge me the adult pricing because I know I won't eat it all and I don't want to be wasteful especially when we are traveling.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

We spent lovely morning there and had great food. Fresh ingredients. The location is nearby google office which makes a nice stop after visiting Google campus.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Our daughter and her husband recommended Joanie's, and despite misgivings (they spend so much time rock climbing and extreme hiking in Yosemite when not engaged in studying/lab work, one wonders what they usually eat for breakfast), I met them there for breakfast. We ate outside (I had our border collie with me), and it was delicious, and the service was impeccable. They even brought the dog a dish with water in it.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

They charged me 50 cents (no notice given) for low sugar syrup for my pancakes (which tasted like sawdust). their prices are absurd...they engineer the dishes to cost more by adding cheese and other things. Ever since they discontinued dinner the place has gone downhill. Joanies acts frantic to charge too much...cant even get a tuna sandwich.. just pick a $15 sandwich. Why do people to there?

Reviewed 17 August 2016

We have been going to Joanie's for many years. The omelets are super and the service is very good. We love that they welcome us as old friends and that the food is so fresh and well presented. There can be long lines on weekends. So getting there early is suggested.