All reviews personal concierge rooftop pool heated bathroom floors open kitchen all inclusive hotel living room all inclusive concept tv in the mirror toto toilet guest pantry friendly chef voss water silicon valley high end wonderful boutique hotel five star hotel hotel experience
Reviewed April 3, 2018

I visited Palo Alto on a business trip. The accommodations, staff and facilities exceeded all expectations. The all inclusive concept was something new to me and really helped to blur the line between hotel and your own personal luxury living room.

Room Tip: luxury, superb accommodations
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2018 via mobile

Imagine visiting a close friend with the most amazing home which he opens up to you. He has mansion, impeccable taste, knows what you like and what you don’t . You sit in his living room with a roaring fire . Your friend pours you the drink of choice . You relax knowing how lucky you are to know such a person . His name is Bernie and he works at the Clement Hotel. This is where you stay .He gives you his master suite - which has a Japanese Soaking Tub , separate living room - that is so comfortable and spacious , so quiet and peaceful that you forget your long day. The Clement Hotel is such a place . I have traveled all he world and consider it one of the best I’ve stayed in . Every detail you will enjoy. If you are in the area do yourself a favor - stay there . You will join Trip Advisor as I just did to tell everyone about it !!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank BonVivant2018
Reviewed February 21, 2018

great all inclusive concept from the owners of the two hotels next door. ...home away from home , food was excellent as was the suite.
sebastion the general manager lisa , concierge and jennifer waited on us for lunch made the hotel very home like. we will be back

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed January 6, 2018 via mobile

Every hotel should be like this! Luxurious accommodations, complimentary food and drinks, and a chef available to make you basically whatever you want. If you’re visiting Stanford or the Palo Alto area you must stay at this hotel. Nothing compares. We were a family of 12 and the staff couldn’t have been more helpful, and aesthetically this hotel is ideal.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2018

The short version: The Clement is the best hotel I’ve ever stayed at. The service is impeccable and the amenities are wonderful. Assuming you stay on-premise during your stay, you should want for very little. If you have the means and the opportunity, I would (and often do!) recommend staying at The Clement to everyone I know.

The long version:
Table of Contents:
Introduction, and how I scored my stay
Food/Drink
Amenities
Room
Overall Highlight
Overall Low-light
Other Thoughts

Introduction
I’m a software quality assurance engineer by trade and frequently find myself instinctively noticing material and process defects. My wife and I stayed at The Clement for one night in early October, and again for two nights in late December. As a vaguely relevant comparison point, we spent the night prior to our October stay at the best Hilton I’ve ever stayed at. That Hilton had nothing on The Clement except price. During the time I was at The Clement, the hotel was allegedly running at about half-capacity, but I never saw more than 4 other groups of guests (I’d guess 20-25% capacity?). In scoring The Clement I used a 7 point scale (sort of… None of the categories as a whole scored below a Great) as follows:
Unacceptable - I would expect this if you rounded up random people off the street and asked them to staff and run the hotel
Poor - I would expect this if you had the staff of a 1-2 star hotel who had no particular desire to help you staff and run the hotel
Fair - The staff are minimally competent and vaguely interested in helping make your stay pleasant, the hotel runs at the very lower threshold of places worth paying money to stay and relax, the hotel has facilities/amenities
Good - The staffing, operation, and facilities of a mass market hotel with a reputation for being above average
Very Good - The staffing, operation, and facilities of a five star mass market hotel, nothing is bad, everything is well appointed and hums efficiently and seamlessly
Great - A boutique hotel that runs like a five star hotel, but with extra care put into every facet
Excellent - I didn’t know hotels could be this good until now

Food/Drink - Great
We didn’t have any alcohol (other than champagne during our initial tour) during our brief visits to The Clement, but alcohol is included in the all-inclusive price. From talking to some friends who know their alcohol however, it sounds like The Clement’s adult beverage offering is solid. We made sure to try a variety of different things from the dining menus, as well as the all-you-care-to-eat pantry and open-kitchen. Only one dish rated Good (which is addressed later), while all other dishes we tried were approximately a 60/40 split of Great and Very Good. I’ll note between our visits they rotated the menu, so in that regard the stays were not directly comparable (notably, they substituted It’s-It’s for Coolhaus ice cream sandwiches). Food and Beverage gets a Great, helped by both the ratio of the food we’ve tried from the dining menus, as well as the various snacks and drinks provided.

Amenities - Great
The Clement includes several location-based amenities, including the living room, an adjacent wrap-around terrace, a small ~five station fitness room, and the rooftop area with a pool, hot tub, cabanas, and lounge chairs. All the locations are well-maintained, clean, and functional. The rooftop in particular is great for relaxing in the sun and catching up on reading, or soaking aches and pains away in the saltwater hot tub. At any of them except the fitness room you can order anything from the dining and beverage menus (or, though no one mentions it, the kitchen or pantry). The amenities are what you’d expect at a boutique hotel of this caliber, so it certainly merits a great.

Rooms - Great
Both times I’ve stayed at The Clement I’ve stayed in their least expensive offering, which as far as I can gather means I’m missing out on a small private veranda and maybe an additional half-bath. My suite has both times included separate areas for sleeping and relaxing. Both areas contain a big screen TV, telephone, and plenty of outlets. The relaxing (and, if you’re so inclined, private dining) area also includes:
A couch (converts to a pullout bed)
A Nespresso machine
A snack tray filled with various sweets and savories
A stocked mini fridge containing a selection of the same beverages you’ll find in the pantry
A desk with chair and lamp plus some assorted business aids (tape, a stapler, some cables for the television etc)
I haven’t checked, but I suspect that were I to ask, the Nespresso pods, snack tray, and mini fridge would be refilled on request.

In the bedroom is:
A king bed
An honest to goodness radio (looks old-timey, feels new!)
Adjustable reading lights which swing out from the headboard (perfect for a late night reading session)
There are a variety of pillows to choose from, though I’ve only tried the default and memory foam pillows.

The full bathroom has:
Its own TV in the mirror
A pair of sinks with a vanity and movable bench
A separate shower and bathtub (both spacious, you could probably fit two people in either)
A lit magnifying mirror
Various soaps, lotions, and scrubs
A heated floor,
An enclosed toilet room with heated seat (and the heated floor mentioned above), and a built in bidet.
While I want to put the rooms at excellent, I ultimately decided that they’re borderline enough to stay in Great (perhaps with the modifier of “really really”).

Service - Excellent
At the heart of The Clement is the service provided by the concierge on duty and the various housekeeping, technical, and guest-service staff who fulfill requests. Want your favorite drink in the mini fridge when you arrive? The personal concierge can do that! Got a preference for your pillow? Just call the concierge on duty, someone will bring it up. Food or drinks just about anywhere in the hotel? Call the concierge. The number of things that the concierge won’t at least attempt to do is (I suspect) fairly minimal within the scope of your stay, and the number of ways you can customize your experience is high. The service is beyond anything either of us has experienced, even at other five star hotels and definitely merits an Excellent.

Highlight
The best moment I had at The Clement (so far) occurred while visiting with my wife the day after we were married. While having dinner in the dining room, I happened to mention this to the concierge on duty, and asked if there might be any cake or other celebratory-type pastry in their stores. He thought for a moment and assured me he could have something in our room shortly. About 45 minutes later (still enjoying the last of our meal), I happened to notice him unboxing a cake before it promptly vanished, only to later reappear in our room when we arrived a few minutes later. This guy managed to procure a high end small cake at 7PM on a weekend, with so few staff I’m convinced he had to have gone out himself, though I’d have sworn I saw him every few minutes. The cake was absolutely delicious, and made all the better by the surprise and delight on my wife’s face when we got back to the room. (Thanks Bernie!)

Lowlight
If the surprise cake was the highlight, the low-light of my stays had to be the next morning. We went down to the dining room, and my wife ordered french toast. The french toast was more dry than my wife and I expected. That’s it. That’s my biggest complaint after wracking my brain and combing over the details of our stays. There were plenty of things I didn’t understand, because I’m not used to such luxuries, but the only time I could identify a defect caused by the hotel was in the cooking of that french toast. I was going to write it off as a fluke, or post-marriage inattention, but a second stay has confirmed the french toast isn’t usually dry (without having mentioned it to the staff to correct).

Final Thoughts
The Clement is a great place to stay for a brief recharge/staycation. I imagine it’d be an excellent (though somewhat different) experience for a longer stay as well. My wife is someone who feels awkward being waited on; she came with me mostly to try out this experience and get away from our hectic day-to-day. For someone (or a group of people) who feels similarly, you may want to consider carefully if you’ll get the maximum enjoyment out of The Clement. I certainly think the staff are capable of catering to any personality and preference, but would recommend making it clear if you want more, less, or different attention than “frequent communication in public spaces with twice daily turndown service”. On the flipside of that, however, is that the staff seems willing and able to go the extra mile for every guest to make their stay memorable and personalized, if you don’t stop them.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple