“Terrible sushi. Bad and unwelcoming service. Gone downhill.”
Review of Sushi Tomo

Sushi Tomo
Ranked #247 of 378 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed September 20, 2015

I've been here years ago and it was adequate. I just went there again on Saturday night and the sushi was terrible and the service was even worse.

We arrived at 8:15pm (the advertised store hours is 9pm). We asked for 3 seats at the bar and the hostess gave us this "unwelcoming" response that the bar is closing (45 minutes before the restaurant closes?!?). We said, okay, we'll take a table then. The place was pretty empty, so I guess they want to close up shop early.

While the hostess (who is now our waitress) was taking our order, another party came in and the hostess gave this extremely disgusting "grunt" suggesting "how dare you have more customers coming into my restaurant" sound. I can understand if she just wants to close up shop early and go home, but there is absolutely no reason why she needs to do it in front of customers.

Anyway, the food came. I had the bento box which includes 4 pieces of sashimi. It looks good, but tastes like nothing. There's no flavor or texture. Just firm jello like substance. I can't say that it is not fresh...because it doesn't even taste foul. Just tasteless. Glad that I have the teriyaki salmon (over cooked and doused in sugary sauce) and the tempura (greasy dough with hardly any taste of shrimp). That night, I developed a stomachache...and I'm sorry that I have to jump to the conclusion that it's the meal there.

The meal was $60 (incl. tax & tips) for 3 people (no alcohol), so it technically qualifies as budget / inexpensive these days. But you get what you paid for. I don't think I will be returning...ever...

Reviewed July 3, 2015

Has been consistently very good for many years- reasonable prices too. Service is friendly for eat-in or take out.The casual, clean atmosphere makes it an enjoyable place to dine. Nothing fancy, a nice change from the "trendy" Palo Alto restaurants.The parking lot is small, and at times the street parking is limited since there are several restaurants in the area.

Reviewed May 18, 2015

Tomo is close to my house and is a go to place for a quick bite of sushi. It is on the inexpensive side and really worth each bite. Usually I take out but on Saturday, we ate at the sushi bar. It was not crowded so there was not a big choice of floating sushi. Had to ask the chef to add to what was going around, which is did on a limited variety. The Bento box is very good, Rainbow rolls are good. Nothing exotic or fancy but again, not expensive. Service tends to be quite slow when the crowds come in so don't plan on a quick trip. Good value, decent food

Reviewed September 29, 2014

Sushi Tomo on El Camino Way provides good sushi at a good price. We eat here 2-3 times a month. The sushi chefs are personable and will tell you what is best that day. The boats around the sushi bar are a fun touch- loved by kids and kids at heart.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Arguably the best value in town for a nice Asian meal… Of course, here you’ll get a typical Asian cuisine a la carte menu, including tempura, sushi rolls, sashimi, miso soups, etc., etc… but if you want to try a satisfying and delicious meal for one very reasonable price, go for the “lunch box” (or “dinner box”, if you visit later in the day). For a fixed price of $10.95 you get the following: soup; salad; (white) rice; a nice tempura mix; your choice of salmon, pork, chicken or beef (go for the salmon!); and your choice of gyoza, sushi, sashimi or fish katsu… Do you need more? Ok, then try a good Japanese beer!