“Decent Korean Food”

So Gong Dong Tofu House
Ranked #84 of 376 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Reviewed November 8, 2016 via mobile

I've been going to Tofu House for 10 years. The food is good and but the restaurant is dirty. They need to clean it better especially since they raised their prices on their dishes over the years.

Reviewed October 17, 2016

Was first recommended this place by a pretentious, snobby foodie friend who happened to be Korean and turned up his nose at most places in the peninsula. Tofu House, according to him, was the only place worth eating at, apart from some Mongolian barbecue place that I disliked. So expectations were low when I first went here. Whoa!

Terrific food, okay service, poor ambiance (you'll probably be close enough to the neighboring table to reach over and help yourself to their food without straightening your arm) -- saved only the fact that it is always full of people, most of them Korean, all of them enjoying their food. When the food arrives, you'll switch instantly from paying attention to the cramped quarters and the large crowds, to paying attention only to your food. And be delighted.

One of my favorite places in the Bay area. Consistently good. High energy in terms of good, cheerful vibes from the grad student looking crowd that shows up there. Some families with little kids. All eating more than they should.

Reviewed September 7, 2016 via mobile

It was my first time trying Korean tofu, and I enjoyed this restaurant a lot. The concept is soft tofu in a clay pot with choices of various meats or dumplings, or other add-ins. It gets served with a raw egg that's supposed to get cracked into the clay pot and cook before you eat it. Although the clay pot was sizzling when it arrived, the egg did not cook during the course of the meal. Not sure what could have caused that to happen, but the meal was quite good nevertheless.

Since we had kids at the table, we also ordered a plate of glass noodles, which every one enjoyed, and a couple of bulgolgi meats (beef and pork). The meal was accompanied by a selection of cold vegetables, including kimchi, pickled cucumbers, sweet potatoes, bean sprouts, cold glass noodles, and black rice. We are not big kimchi eaters, but can vouch for the fact that the cucumber, glass noodles, and sweet potatoes were delicious.

Honestly, for one person, a tofu clay pot with its accompanying bowl of rice and cold side dishes would be plenty for one meal, but I was pleased to try the meats as well. It made for a few leftovers, which we did not mind. I chose the clay pot with the dumplings and beef, which I really enjoyed, and my cousin chose a fish cake one, which was still good, though I preferred my own. Probably it's the sort of thing where it's hard to go wrong. Service was fairly good, and pricing was reasonable as well.

Would definitely recommend or go back again.

Reviewed August 21, 2016 via mobile

I went here while my son went to Subway. Tried the tofu with veggies and ramen. It was good but I would like to go back and try a few more dishes.

Reviewed June 25, 2016 via mobile

This has been a family favourite for its vegetarian selection. Tonight the scales fell from our eyes. We were told the kimchi has shrimp and the miso soup with the order of "vegetarian bibimbap " has fish. Begs the question of what's in the broth in the rest. If you are not allergic or have serious ethical or religious reasons to be vegetarian I guess it's ok. Really disappointed.