“Upscale, Charming, Luxury but with a few twists”

The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
San Diego, California
“Upscale, Charming, Luxury but with a few twists”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

THE GOOD: Stayed here for a meeting for 4 nights. The room was excellent and squeaky clean. The room service and turn-down service was really nice and a welcome addition. The quality of sleep was great with comfortable mattresses and pillows. The room + breakfast package was wonderful and the Terrace restaurant had pretty good fare for breakfast and I had one really awesome dinner.

THE NOT SO GOOD: As usual pricey internet and the connections speed at time was pathetic. To think that they charge for this is pretty sad. Like so many others on this site and others I think that the valet parking for $25 was outrageous and thought this is clearly stated on the website, it still is beyond me why they would not allow self parking.

THE WORST: I saw a hold of $1500 on my credit card when the website says a normal hold of $150. When I called up the front desk they had no clue as to why this was. When I was transferred to accounting they told me that it was $150, but then quickly changed the story that in some cases (I sure feel special here) it was $1500 (just in case I decided to walk away with the room in my suitcase :-) ). I felt this was wrong but anyways the hold was taken out after a long week of waiting.

Overall I had a great experience at the hotel and the only blot was the credit card issue which could have been handled more graciously by the staff but I guess this typically happens when there is a disconnect with the front desk and the management. But let that not deter you from enjoying this wonderful property.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was definitely a 4 star place, not a 5 star.
The positives:
Check-in staff was friendly and efficient
The toiletries offered in the room were fantastic, better than at many hotels
The grounds are beautiful and the lobby space is lovely as well

The not-as-positive:
Thin walls: we heard our neighbors in the next room throughout the night! If I'm paying that much money to stay at a hotel, I really want insulated walls
The room felt very dark. We called the front desk staff to have a light bulb replaced in the standing lamp in the room, they said they would send someone and no one ever came to replace it. We were only there for one night so figured we'd just live with it.
The dinner we had in the poolside restaurant was way overpriced for the quality. This was the first time in 10 years that I've sent back a dish.
Furnishings and fixtures could use an update. You know how you feel when you walk into some 5 star hotels and everything feels fresh and clean? You don't get that at the Langham. Rather, it felt a bit like a country club that used to be cool and elegant in the 90's but is now due for a refresh.

Overall, the Langham looks like it would be a great, elegant place to attend a party or a wedding. I really wanted to love it. But I wouldn't choose to stay there again given the cost of the room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
LanghamPasadena, Manager at The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear elizab54,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the disruption in your stay. In these instances we recommend that guests notify the front desk so they can send a member of our security team to assess the situation and quiet down any disturbances. Our staff makes every effort to respond to guest requests as quickly as possible. On that note, we are looking into why our engineering team did not come to replace your light bulb. We deeply apologize for that oversight.

Langham Hospitality Group recently invested millions into upgrading the property’s cottages, fine dining restaurant, bar and spa, and our management team regularly inspects our guestrooms to make sure they are clean and in good condition. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our parent company.

The Langham Huntington, Pasadena
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at the Langham Huntington for five nights. We had a comfortable, quiet, clean room with a beautiful view. Housekeeping is friendly and does an excellent job: 'stages' the room with music, offers turn down service and happily accommodated when we requested extra towels and a blanket. Beds are comfortable. Pillows are puffier than we like, but others might disagree. The hotel is beautiful, elegant and apparently dog friendly because we saw several guests with dogs in tow. The grounds offer a small Japanese Garden but surprisingly not many places to sit on the vast expanse of green space behind the property. A bench underneath a palm tree would be a lovely touch. The Langham also has a few cottages on the property that are available for rent. We did not dine at the Langham, preferring instead to explore restaurants in Pasadena and in surrounding cities. Parking is valet only. $25 per night for guests. Keep that in mind when booking. Valet is quick and friendly. Complimentary coffee and tea is offered while you wait for your car. Check in staff is proper...not particularly gushy or family-friendly. They do the job but aren't effusive. The concierge was quite helpful with the 'traffic forecast' and how best to get around LA traffic congestion. Despite the help, avoiding traffic proved an impossibility. Very quick elevators. A pool. A spa. Tennis courts. Possibly a horseshoe garden but we never found it. Nice, cozy private rooms on the lobby level for printing your boarding pass. The hotel is showing some wear but nothing of serious concern. Carpet seams are coming apart in the hallways (at least on the 4th floor). The only negatives I'd mention are: we requested two cards for our room. One of the cards had not been properly activated so it didn't work. I went to the front desk to get the card activation problem fixed and was surprised that the front desk attendant did not request proof (an ID) when I asked for a card to room ###. I offered my driver's license without being asked to do so. Despite the license, I was given a card activated to open the door of another guest's room! The only reason I knew this is that the front desk attendant thanked me by name (the wrong name) when I was preparing to leave the desk. I said that I was not this individual (ironically, the individual was a man and I'm a woman). The attendant then said, "Oh you're not in room ###?" -- this despite the fact that I had given my room number several times and presented a photo id. The card had to be activated again, this time for the correct room. An additional negative is that if it exists, I was not offered a 'quick check out option'. The Langham seems to handle check out the old fashioned way, requiring a guest to go to the front desk before leaving. Lastly, and this is no fault of the hotel, is the awful LA traffic. While Pasadena and the Langham are a quick trip to nearby Occidental College, we sat for two hours in traffic at 11pm on a Thursday night returning from Santa Monica Pier to the hotel. Not fun. If you are heading to Malibu, take the scenic route through the canyon but double the time Mapquest or your GPS tells you it will take. It's an hour. Same for the drive from Pasadena to Thousand Oaks. But I know, I know!! It's LA. The hotel is an hour from LAX. Overall, we liked the hotel. Just not certain it was the best choice for us (in terms of location) given our LA travel itinerary. I would not recommend that a family with young children stay at this hotel. The hotel seems to cater to business travelers, couples. Trivia: the Grand Marshall of the Rose Bowl parade stays in the penthouse suite (looks like the top of a castle) each year.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel provide a lovely view. This is a quiet hotel so issues with noisy el...
California
Reviewed 27 March 2012

There is nothing average about the Langham Huntington, including its’ location and neighborhood. When a hotel, and all of its facilities and amenities are exceptional it takes a highly-tuned and well-trained staff to pull-off a world-class experience. This hotel does not disappoint. Highlights: 1) Outside Dining at The Terrace where I threw a few curve ball substitutions and requests that were answered and handled without a blink, right down to the sea salt on a small china dish with a spoon. 2) Warm, friendly, attentive valet service (yes, I was VERY impressed even by the “car parkers”). 3) Every staff member greeted me everywhere I explored the hotel. 4) Spectacular view from our perfect room. 5) The most astute system for lost and found ever.

All of that said, despite the immaculate condition of every inch of the hotel (nothing worn, no scrapped walls, not a speck of dust to be found, everything folded and pressed perfectly, and chandeliers sparkling EVERYwhere) I found two disturbing items: a) Looking down from our room (620) there was an outside cocktail/dining terrace that had not been cleaned-up the night before and when we went for an early-morning walk this terrace was the last place we stopped…full ashtrays, an abandoned service tray loaded with cocktail glasses with remnants of un-consumed liquor, etc. (we could see this from our room) and tables and chairs disheveled. b) At the outdoor whirlpool/spa there were about a half dozen wet wash cloths(?) or maybe cloth/paper hand towels hanging and lying in and around the short bushes. Both of these things were glaring because they were such a stark contrast to the rest of the operation. BOTTOM LINE: PERFECT STAY. GREAT VALUE! I can hardly wait to return. (3/23/2012)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Siddles
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend in March. Beautiful grounds and overall great hotel. Would not spend money on spa services again. Has the Chuan
harmony massage, and it is nothing more
Than a regular massage...just has a fancy name. The Langham has a free
Shuttle that takes you to old town
Pasadena and nearby attractions. The
Location is amazing. Great views of
City below and the surrounding neighborhood is picturesque. One negative..our temperature of water in our
Shower was not consistent. Changed
Back and forth from hot to cold (5th floor)
Tap Room is great. Would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012
London
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Very lovely hotel and friendly staff. Was here on business but felt the luxury.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies, try for that.
Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Chicago
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We recently stayed at the Langham to attend a wedding at the hotel. This is an elegant historical hotel, with ornate decor and old-school appointments, so if you are expecting a Eurostyle minimalist kind of place, book elsewhere. Service was very good, from the minute we pulled up to the valet to check in, and bell service was also what you would expect of this level hotel. We stayed in the main building in a corner room, and had a lot of space to spread out as a family. There are some nice items in the bathroom for every toiletry need you may have left at home. Spacious soaking tub and separate shower were also nice. I would have preferred a queen bed to a full, but we survived.

The hotel is situated in a quietly elegant, tree-lined neighborhood featuring a wealth of high-end, historically and architecturally significant homes. So, you can take some amazing picturesque walks around the area, or if you want to shop, there are dozens of retail shops and restaurants a short drive away. I'd highly recommend touring the nearby Gamble Home, a historical home of the founders of P&G.

The concierge was very helpful in booking a tour for us in LA. We enjoyed breakfast outside on the terrace, and took a lovely dip in the pool. We were a little disappointed that there is no food service directly poolside, but there is beverage/bar service, and plenty of towels stocked for guests. Sadly we had no time to enjoy the spa or fitness area.

As a wedding guest, I enjoyed a cocktail reception on an outdoor terrace that was amazingly scenic and beautiful. You could tell that a great deal of thought had gone into the planning of the event and staff was very attentive. The manager of banquet services also went out of her way to make certain that a guest who had to retire early was accommodated by room service with his meal from the wedding The only downside was that the banquet staff seemed very rushed to clear the tables after the cake was served--so rushed, in fact, that several guests had no chance to taste the cake before the plates were whisked away. This I felt was unacceptable. It would not be the first time I've witnessed it at a wedding, but at a location of this caliber, you expect more. Truly, though, the service was otherwise top notch, from the valets to the front desk. Everyone was made to feel welcomed and special

1 Thank maroongirl90
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pasadena
The Westin Pasadena
#4 of 31 in Pasadena
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Langham Huntington, Pasadena, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!